My wife and I are opening a workshop that will specialize in building furniture incorporating  salvaged architectural elements sourced from New Orleans. We are also planning to have a stock of these salvaged pieces to offer on a custom design basis for clients. Planning to offer vintage window and door repair and construction as well.

We are interested in what the readers of this forum have to say about this and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!!!

My wife and I are opening a workshop that will specialize in building furniture incorporating  salvaged architectural elements sourced from New Orleans. We are also planning to have a stock of these salvaged pieces to offer on a custom design basis for clients. Planning to offer vintage window and door repair and construction as well.

We are interested in what the readers of this forum have to say about this and welcome any suggestions.

Thanks!!!

Welcome and I wish you much success!   Houston is not known as a town deeply rooted in preservation.  However, there are many with “old” houses and a “conservation” mind who also possess a “period” aesthetic.  Spread the word.  Your work may well help these folks be sensitive to the view of the past while being current  to today and scripting their vision of the future.

HOUSTON NEEDS CRAFTSMEN LIKE YOU.  best of luck!  

George Clogston (www.sashguy.com) is currently the only guy doing high quality historic window restorations in Houston.  He has a very long wait list.  There may very well be room in the market for someone else.  I would recommend getting on nextdoor in the historic districts and keep an eye out for people looking for recommendations on window repair.  Too many people will let the local handyman types start hacking away at their windows and doors.  Getting to know some of the realtors who do a lot of work in the historic districts can also help.  Realtors are always pushing people to do repairs before putting their homes on the market and would probably love it if someone came in and restored all the windows.  

The vintage furniture/custom design business sounds like it has the most potential to be a good money maker.  If you can get in with the interior designers, you can get a lot of work.  I am not sure that kind of work would do well as a retail business, but who knows.  

• The title was changed to NOLA In The Heights

Archived