10X Living 15th St. Flats: Multifamily At 1202 W. 15th St.

Urbannizer

This is the tortilla factory (Espiga de Oro), plus a couple other lots. Across Shepherd from Heights Bier Garten/Wooster's.

Given the rapid development in this corridor, and seeing as how the building it'll replace has zero setbacks on three sides, I wish they'd at least TRY and get a reduced building line (plat shows 25-ft along Shepherd). 

• Like 4

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very interesting.  I would have thought for certain they would have put the garage on the ground floor and below so the residential units would not sit right on Shepherd.  but it looks like the garage is built off to the side and blended in with the residential units.  That makes for a better street presence, but I am not sure I would want to have my apartment front N Shep.

• 3 weeks later...

I really hope "Tortilla Factory" is just a place holder name for early marketing materials.  There is nothing historic about the tortilla factory.  It was built at a time when Houston had given up on the Heights and built used car lots and machine shops on cheap land.  It would kind of be like calling Heights Mercantile the Pappas Warehouse District.  

16 minutes ago, s3mh said:

I really hope "Tortilla Factory" is just a place holder name for early marketing materials.  There is nothing historic about the tortilla factory.  It was built at a time when Houston had given up on the Heights and built used car lots and machine shops on cheap land.  It would kind of be like calling Heights Mercantile the Pappas Warehouse District.  

I love the name.  That is very much a part of the history of the Heights.

On 11/21/2018 at 10:59 AM, s3mh said:

The only thing worse is the faux spanish mission motifs. Yuck...

17 hours ago, mollusk said:

Pappas Warehouse District has a nice ring to it.  Now, how do we go about memorializing the orange juice warehouse?

I propose "Vita-Fresh Heights" for the inevitable mixed-use development on the warehouse site. The Vita-Fresh juice brand seems to have fallen from favor, but it used to be very well-known, to the point of being the primary sponsor for several top-level Indy 500 racers. 

• 1 month later...

https://www.bizjournals.com/houston/news/2019/01/16/developer-planning-apartments-near-site-of.html

Alliance also recently filed permits for its Broadstone Tortilla Factory project in the Heights, off 15th Street and North Shepherd. Alliance closed on the 2-acre strip of land where a tortilla factory once operated in September, the Houston Business Journal previously reported. The developer filed building permits for $35.2 million for the eight-story project.

Alliance's 337-unit apartment building on the tortilla factory site will feature Spanish and Mediterranean architecture elements, Phillippi previously told the HBJ in September. Apartments will range in size from about 600 to 1,200 square feet, with rental rates likely starting around $1,400 and going up to $2,400. The building’s amenities — including a pool, grilling stations, fire pit and outdoor pizza oven — will be on the top floor of the parking garage. Houston-based EDI International designed the building, and Alliance is serving as its own general contractor.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

I think this is the 3rd MF building in the Heights of a density beyond wood-frame construction (Elan Heights and the Alliance project on Nicholson being the other two). 

Edit to qualify: recent. There are a couple of assisted living places built before 4- and 5-story wood frame construction was allowed by the IBC, and probably others I'm forgetting.

Edited by Angostura

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, Ctaf said:

I hadn't seen these pics before, but it looks like they didn't center the garage, I don't know how common that is, but seems like it would be a long walk if your apartment is on the opposite end

I assume the other "donut hole" is the pool. 

• Like 1