Lorino's Grocery Store At 1501 Telephone Rd.

CHEETAHGUUH

hello this building is located on the corner of lawndale and telephone... can anyone tell me what this building  was used for? since i moved here in 04 this place has always caught my eye its a lil run down now compared to years ago when i first saw it. 

Capture.PNG

On 2/21/2018 at 3:52 AM, MartiMoser said:

Lorino's Grocery. Opened in 1925. After prohibition they added a beer joint. 

One time in about 1989 I was driving east and saw that building--well-kept and nice looking it was back then--and saw its sign, which said "Lorino's Grocery, Milk, Meat, Eggs... ."    I thought, "Oh, I need some milk!" So I picked my baby up out of her car seat, went in, and said, "Excuse me, where's the milk?" A young fellow looked a little non-plused and said, "Uh, sorry ma'am, but we're a bar." So I took my leave, wondering why they had a grocery store sign if they were a bar. It must be one of those places that started out as a grocery store, then added a beer joint, and finally became only a beer joint but left the sign up either out of inertia or because it represented a neighborhood landmark. I've always liked the building. Too bad it's gotten so deteriorated.

On 2/21/2018 at 3:52 AM, MartiMoser said:

Lorino's Grocery. Opened in 1925. After prohibition they added a beer joint. 

• 2 months later...
On 2/26/2018 at 0:12 AM, Libbie said:

One time in about 1989 I was driving east and saw that building--well-kept and nice looking it was back then--and saw its sign, which said "Lorino's Grocery, Milk, Meat, Eggs... ."    I thought, "Oh, I need some milk!" So I picked my baby up out of her car seat, went in, and said, "Excuse me, where's the milk?" A young fellow looked a little non-plused and said, "Uh, sorry ma'am, but we're a bar." So I took my leave, wondering why they had a grocery store sign if they were a bar. It must be one of those places that started out as a grocery store, then added a beer joint, and finally became only a beer joint but left the sign up either out of inertia or because it represented a neighborhood landmark. I've always liked the building. Too bad it's gotten so deteriorated.

Libbie. I'm sure the sign change was on the remodeling agenda, but they lost the whole agenda. "Gimme a qt Miller High Life in a brown bag please" 

3 hours ago, Libbie said:

Yes, the sign painter must have canceled; they put the sign-change on a back burner, and life went on.

I've known some sign painters in my time. You're absolutely right. I worked for A J Foyt for 10 yrs, 82-92. We had a window painter/pinstriper who'd sit in this old beat up Rambler station wagon the mornings we'd need him. He didn't come out & go to painting til he drank 4 or 5 hot Falstaff beers to steady his pinstriping hand and then he'd do perfect work. We called him Rembrandt. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/21/2018 at 3:23 AM, Texasota said:

If I had to guess, I would assume it was associated with a streetcar line that went down Telephone. 

This is the back of a house I pass every day, seen from the inbound Gulf Freeway feeder, about the 4700 block. It reminds me of the old Lorino's building. I wonder if it, too, might have originated as a streetcar building. Or maybe not.

Displaying IMG_1106.JPG    Displaying IMG_1106.JPG

• The title was changed to East End
  • The title was changed to Lorino's Grocery Store At 1501 Telephone Rd.

Archived