Voss Road Rapist

matty1979

His name is Sandy Sanderson, and he was sentenced to 50 years in prison. That was decades ago, so he's probably out by now and I have no idea where he is, if he's still living. He's mentioned in the first paragraph of this Texas Monthly story from 1996. https://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/state-of-the-reunion/

I'm not a Westchester Alum. I just Searched for Houston Voss Road rapist and found this article. 

The apparent fact that he's still locked up years beyond his original parole eligibility date tells me he probably hasn't been what we would call a "model prisoner". He was denied parole in May of last year because of the nature of the crimes he committed.

Here's what the parole board wrote about him last year. "THE RECORD INDICATES THAT THE OFFENDER HAS REPEATEDLY COMMITTED CRIMINAL EPISODES THAT INDICATE A PREDISPOSITION TO COMMIT CRIMINAL ACTS UPON RELEASE. 

THE RECORD INDICATES THE INSTANT OFFENSE HAS ELEMENTS OF BRUTALITY, VIOLENCE, ASSAULTIVE BEHAVIOR, OR CONSCIOUS SELECTION OF VICTIM'S VULNERABILITY INDICATING A CONSCIOUS DISREGARD FOR THE LIVES, SAFETY, OR PROPERTY OF OTHERS, SUCH THAT THE OFFENDER POSES A CONTINUING THREAT TO PUBLIC SAFETY. "

Wow. If he's that bad he needs to be put away for life, but he wont be. He'll get out some day, and I predict he will go back in for committing new crimes. 

• 1 year later...

He was quarterback at Dulles High school Stafford, Tx. around 1975..I know because I played there..His grandfather died,and left him a fortune..He quit school and bought or inherited a Home in the Memorial area..I never heard about him anymore until one night on the local news ,the police released a composite sketch of the Voss Rd rapist. I told my wife. " thats Sandy Sanderson, and I know him.."  then proceeded to tell her about his inheritance..about a week later he was on  the news ,he had been arrested for the rapes..Most of the victims were elderly. 

• 3 months later...

His mother was a friend of my mothers and lived down the street in Memorial. I was in high school and had dinner at his mother’s house one evening. He was there and was unassuming and polite. We all sat at the dinner table together.   Perhaps 10 days later he was arrested.  His mother sold the home and moved out of state.

• 3 months later...

I just stumbled upon this thread because I was talking about this today and googled him to see if he was still in prison. In the summer of 1984 (I'm pretty sure that was the year), a man followed us from Briargrove down San Felipe for quite a ways. We finally lost him, but I came home to my house that night to find a man I did not know standing in my den a few feet away from my sister who was sleeping. He was youngish, very blonde wearing a white button down shirt. Over the next several weeks, we would come home and the back door would shut, doors we had locked would be unlocked in the morning, we would seem him peering in our windows, etc. We continually called the police, but I think at first they thought we were a bit crazy. The last time he came, we heard someone rustling through the bushes by the rear windows of our house, so I went to the front of the house and looked out the front windows. I then saw him come from our backyard and get in a taxi. I know this sounds bizarre, but I am not making this up…. We called the police (again) who came over and finally took us seriously. They heavily patrolled the neighborhood (Briargrove) for the next several weeks, and we never had another incident. Then we started hearing about the “Voss Road Rapist”. He was arrested a few months later and his photo was in the paper. Although I was never 100% sure it was him, it certainly did look like the man I saw. By the way, the strip club (that it was rumored he worked at) was called La Bare. It was located at Voss and Westheimer if memory serves…

• 1 month later...
On 3/19/2020 at 5:22 PM, sck said:

I just stumbled upon this thread because I was talking about this today and googled him to see if he was still in prison. In the summer of 1984 (I'm pretty sure that was the year), a man followed us from Briargrove down San Felipe for quite a ways. We finally lost him, but I came home to my house that night to find a man I did not know standing in my den a few feet away from my sister who was sleeping. He was youngish, very blonde wearing a white button down shirt. Over the next several weeks, we would come home and the back door would shut, doors we had locked would be unlocked in the morning, we would seem him peering in our windows, etc. We continually called the police, but I think at first they thought we were a bit crazy. The last time he came, we heard someone rustling through the bushes by the rear windows of our house, so I went to the front of the house and looked out the front windows. I then saw him come from our backyard and get in a taxi. I know this sounds bizarre, but I am not making this up…. We called the police (again) who came over and finally took us seriously. They heavily patrolled the neighborhood (Briargrove) for the next several weeks, and we never had another incident. Then we started hearing about the “Voss Road Rapist”. He was arrested a few months later and his photo was in the paper. Although I was never 100% sure it was him, it certainly did look like the man I saw. By the way, the strip club (that it was rumored he worked at) was called La Bare. It was located at Voss and Westheimer if memory serves…

He got out briefly on parole but apparently went back in. 
https://records.txdps.state.tx.us/SexOffenderRegistry/Search/Rapsheet/Index?sid=02249958&x=a2092ebb-59ed-4e4d-b8a8-82a2c8661486

Archived