2018 Foreign Flags

wxman

This is off the top-of-my-head stuff but I don't think 2017 was a banner year for adding new flags to IAH. Can we expect any big announcements for 2018? Is this the year we end up with Air India or perhaps an African Airline? Is there anything working in the pipeline does anybody know?

• 1 month later...

I love seeing foreign flag carriers at IAH but that has money loser written all over it. I hate seeing obvious duds coming because it could scare off potentially good service in the future.

In the bad news department, it seems as if the IAH-Luanda service is going away in the next few weeks. Love seeing those giant 747-400s. 

My dream; Asiana. It's a brilliant airline with great service with onward connections to Asia via Seoul. I know Korean failed but KE coming here was dumb. We're a Star Alliance Hub. Asiana is that * carrier of carrier.

I don't expect Asiana... Asiana is much smaller comparing with Korean Air, there wide body fleet size is only one third of KE. for airlines in China, Korea and Japan, the Aisa-Australia, Aisa-Europe lines are much more profitable.

UA cancelled 2-weekly PVG-GUM, but i don't see they intend to move those to IAH-PVG though. China Eastern want to start this route, but they run out of slots.

Air China flies 747-8 to JFK or IAD, if market proves, i think they can move the queen to IAH

On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:46 PM, wxman said:

Is this the year we end up with Air India or perhaps an African Airline? Is there anything working in the pipeline does anybody know?

Zero chance of an African Airline this year. In fact SonAir will discontinue their Houston to Luanda route as of March 28, 2018. http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2018/02/09/sonair-ending-houston-luanda-route/

Glad that EK is bringing the A380 back.

As for service to Africa, probably not going to happen unless United sees a reason to resume the Lagos route. Another remote possibility is South African Airways - they are a Star Alliance member - flying from JNB to IAH (maybe they could make an interim stop in Luanda a few days a week to replace SonAir's service). But I don't see that happening anytime soon.

(Cool fact: South African Airways actually flew to Houston for a brief period in the early '80s. They used 747SP equipment that had to stop to refuel in Cape Verde. The service didn't last long, because A) local anti-apartheid activists including future US Representative Mickey Leland petitioned Mayor Whitmire and City Council to revoke their landing rights, and B) the service just didn't make a lot of sense to begin with.)

• The title was changed to 2018 Foreign Flags

Archived