Apartment Novelties

IronTiger

I went to Evans Library at Texas A&M University the other day to get some microfilms from the Houston Post. While my find wasn't nearly as fruitful as I wanted it to be I did find an interesting article from July 1988 (Houston Post) about the way some apartment complexes were fighting back instead of just dropping rents. The article is below, but in my analysis of them some of them just didn't stick. Two of them seem to have done all right but the other two have gone down the tubes.

XElOnJ7.jpg

fPBHaTu.png

Address: 5450 Timber Creek Place

Old Name: Oaks of Timber Creek Apartments

1988 Name: St. Gregory's Beach

Status Today: It's still known as St. Gregory's Beach, with the distinctly 1980s signage still in place. The cabana built during the renovation is still up, though it seems it no longer has sand. The apartment complex has been more adequately maintained than others but it may have gotten flooded during Harvey.

Address: 17050 Imperial Valley Drive

Old Name: Woodvalley Apartments

1988 Name: The Hollywood

Status Today: Seems the late 1980s turnaround didn't stick, and today it is Biscayne at Cityview Apartments, and it's just as bad as the other Greenspoint apartment complexes. Probably flooded in 2016.

Address: 8162 Richmond Avenue

Old Name: ????

1988 Name: Galleria Club

Status Today: Turtle Pointe Apartments, seems to have made little updates since the 1980s and has bad reviews.

Address: 5675 Purple Sage

Old Name: ????

1988: Hunters Creek

Status Today: Kept name (that's a good sign) and has mixed reviews.

I knew someone who lived at Turtle Pointe around 1997. Was a decent enough place, but you kind of got the feeling from the surrounding neighborhood that things were about to go downhill, and they sure did. 

I pass Turtle Pointe every so often, and what a fall. Not as bad as my cousin's old place not too far away on Bellerive (across from what was Sharpstown Mall). He lives in Cincinnati now, but one time on a visit down here, he wanted to see what his old complex looked like. I asked him if he brought his passport because to go in that neighborhood would be no different than leaving the United States. 

When I moved to the westside in 1990, my first apartment was on Meadowglen at Elmside. I went in there about 10 years ago and it didn't look too bad at all. I've driven by recently, but didn't go into the complex. At least from the outside it looked pretty nice for a nearly 40 year old (now) property. Whoever owns it now seems to be doing a good job at maintenance. 

On 12/5/2017 at 1:09 PM, IronTiger said:

A little more research shows that Galleria Club never changed names and opened in 1977

That jogged a memory from the mid to late 70s. Does anyone remember the apartment commercials from then?  There was a pitch guy who wore a disco/safari suit that filmed the apartment commercials with a lion or tiger on a leash ?

13 hours ago, Moo said:

That jogged a memory from the mid to late 70s. Does anyone remember the apartment commercials from then?  There was a pitch guy who wore a disco/safari suit that filmed the apartment commercials with a lion or tiger on a leash ?

There was a guy called Michael Pollack that did commercials for (what was then) Colonial House in Gulfgate. I don't know if Galleria Club had anything, it was a fairly modestly sized apartment complex.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived