Houston Aerials

brijonmang

1 hour ago, blue92 said:

Your a nit picker, can't say anything nice about this persons work. I for one am very impressed with this guy's work. I would like to see one that starts in River Oaks and flies south down Kirby all the way to S. Main St., then head out toward the old South Main Drive In. That was on the corner of Stella Link and Main.

I appreciate that, @blue92.  It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it and I hope it shows some people that only hear negative things about how Houston is that we actually do have a nice city that has it's own kind of beauty.

That sounds like a great route but I'd need a helicopter for that kind of run haha.  You have any connections??

1 hour ago, Luminare said:

Cool shots. Watched without sound and in my head I kept wanting to insert a "trailer voice" into it. "In a world". These would make some great establishing shots in a film.

Thanks man! I need to work on cinematography and then maybe I could put something together that showcases the city from above and from a more human level.  Then maybe I can pony up for Morgan Freeman to do some voice over action.

1 hour ago, blue92 said:

Your a nit picker, can't say anything nice about this persons work. I for one am very impressed with this guy's work. I would like to see one that starts in River Oaks and flies south down Kirby all the way to S. Main St., then head out toward the old South Main Drive In. That was on the corner of Stella Link and Main.

I agree with @brijonmang on this. Probably would have been better to come out with some good things and then hit with the criticism (which is how I've been taught is best to give constructive criticism), but it seemed like legit critiques. I heard my boss once say "its very hard to legislate taste" and this is true. While there are definitely best ways to approach things and there are things that universally are believed to be good, correct, or beautiful that doesn't mean it will hit home with 100% everyone. We also have to remember that at a base level we as humans are wired more to spot things that are wrong than when things are going right. Even the best of us can not do great work, or can do better work. Brijonmang approached this the way I would as well which is to embrace the crit and see what can be done about it.  

5 minutes ago, brijonmang said:

I appreciate that, @blue92.  It's not going to be everyone's cup of tea but I enjoy it and I hope it shows some people that only hear negative things about how Houston is that we actually do have a nice city that has it's own kind of beauty.

That sounds like a great route but I'd need a helicopter for that kind of run haha.  You have any connections??

Thanks man! I need to work on cinematography and then maybe I could put something together that showcases the city from above and from a more human level.  Then maybe I can pony up for Morgan Freeman to do some voice over action.

Here is a fun vid I watched once. Its called "MiniLook Berlin" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fps2TvDBen0

Yeah its a very particular kind of cinematography, but what really makes it work is the story at play. Thats why I'm interested in drones because it has an opportunity to tell a unique story like this guy did with the miniature camera trick. I've seen some great photos on your instagram, so you definitely can do the cinematography, but whats the story you want to tell? This city could be full of great ones! Thats why I said they would be great for establishing shots. They are that good, but it just needs a story to go with it.

15 hours ago, Luminare said:

I agree with @brijonmang on this. Probably would have been better to come out with some good things and then hit with the criticism (which is how I've been taught is best to give constructive criticism), but it seemed like legit critiques. I heard my boss once say "its very hard to legislate taste" and this is true. While there are definitely best ways to approach things and there are things that universally are believed to be good, correct, or beautiful that doesn't mean it will hit home with 100% everyone. We also have to remember that at a base level we as humans are wired more to spot things that are wrong than when things are going right. Even the best of us can not do great work, or can do better work. Brijonmang approached this the way I would as well which is to embrace the crit and see what can be done about it.  

Here is a fun vid I watched once. Its called "MiniLook Berlin" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fps2TvDBen0

Yeah its a very particular kind of cinematography, but what really makes it work is the story at play. Thats why I'm interested in drones because it has an opportunity to tell a unique story like this guy did with the miniature camera trick. I've seen some great photos on your instagram, so you definitely can do the cinematography, but whats the story you want to tell? This city could be full of great ones! Thats why I said they would be great for establishing shots. They are that good, but it just needs a story to go with it.

Wow that is incredible tilt shift camera work and then the audio to match was great.  I am miles away from being able to do anything this good, especially from a video standpoint but I do hope to put a book out covering Houston that would be much more of a story.  As always, just need to find time and more importantly just START haha.

2 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

It's cute but like other trendy effects, it can get old quickly.

True, but thats why I like this video. The effect is in service to the story being told. Its like you don't notice CG in a good movie because its a good movie. If all that video was about was just the trick then it would get boring after a few moments.

• 8 months later...
18 minutes ago, Montrose1100 said:

Hey @brijonmang

Where is 3:11-3:19?

Also, not enough 2:41-2:50. We need more 2:41-2:50. Why/what are those warehouses in blue LED?

2:03 with the sun hitting 700 Louisiana like that - golden.

That's from Bridgeland out in Cypress.  My daughter's school is right around the corner so I had seen this for months before actually making the trip with my drone to capture it.  Really nice little park area!

Haha man I have a bit more from that location including some sweet Saint Arnold's action but the footage is pretty grainy due to the ISO having to be cranked up.  More videos to come, I promise!  I still need to get over to the ship channel/Fred Hartman bridge area for something different.

On 2/19/2020 at 9:50 PM, brijonmang said:

Bumping this thread because I finished up another video with some new views.  Hoping to keep these a little more regular going forward.

Yeah those golden hour shots. Damn I need a drone.

Archived