Sign in to follow this  
brucesw

Meyerland HEB - RIP

brucesw    34

Not surprising.

It would only have made sense to try to re-open it if they could double-decker it and that might not have been worth the investment.  From discussions on Next Door it seems quite a few homeowners in Meyerland are hoping for a Fema buyout offer and the population of the neighborhood is probably going to decline.

A thread on Next Door today says a new 85,000 sq. ft. location with Kosher bakery and deli will be announced by the end of the month.  Another poster says the deal is not final but close.  That's 'new' and 'to be announced' so presumably it's something other than the Bellaire store.  I'll be interested to know where they'll find that kind of space close to Meyerland.

When the store was closed after the Memorial Day floods in 2015 posters on ND said HEB would have abandoned the store then if they had not already known they'd be shutting the Bellaire store for months, leaving the nearest HEB stores on Buffalo Speedway, off 288 in Pearland, on Hwy 6 in Missouri City and Hwy 6 @ 90 in Sugar Land.  Another post on ND claimed HEB was trying to get the JC Penney space in Meyerland Plaza. 

Meanwhile, the WM Neighborhood Market on Hillcroft, between Meyerland and Maplewood, is undergoing upgrades.  Looks nice so far.  Probably already planned before Harvey but timely.

IronTiger    721
On 10/5/2017 at 4:29 PM, brucesw said:

Not surprising.

It would only have made sense to try to re-open it if they could double-decker it and that might not have been worth the investment.  From discussions on Next Door it seems quite a few homeowners in Meyerland are hoping for a Fema buyout offer and the population of the neighborhood is probably going to decline.

A thread on Next Door today says a new 85,000 sq. ft. location with Kosher bakery and deli will be announced by the end of the month.  Another poster says the deal is not final but close.  That's 'new' and 'to be announced' so presumably it's something other than the Bellaire store.  I'll be interested to know where they'll find that kind of space close to Meyerland.

When the store was closed after the Memorial Day floods in 2015 posters on ND said HEB would have abandoned the store then if they had not already known they'd be shutting the Bellaire store for months, leaving the nearest HEB stores on Buffalo Speedway, off 288 in Pearland, on Hwy 6 in Missouri City and Hwy 6 @ 90 in Sugar Land.  Another post on ND claimed HEB was trying to get the JC Penney space in Meyerland Plaza. 

Meanwhile, the WM Neighborhood Market on Hillcroft, between Meyerland and Maplewood, is undergoing upgrades.  Looks nice so far.  Probably already planned before Harvey but timely.

I'd be surprised if they took the JCPenney space, they would have to do a tremendous amount of work to reconfigure the parking lot. The JCPenney was designed for parking on all three sides, not parking for one. Personally, I just don't think they'll replace it. They have a tendency to replace smaller stores with bigger ones, and I think the rebuilt Bellaire store will fit that bill.

Fringe    325

Perhaps they will build on whats left of the old Westbury Square.  That area could use a nice grocery store. 

VicMan    41

I'd like to see HEB actually design the store to look like Westbury Square - give it the Italian style, make the storefront look like the old development. If it became a part of a strip center (with other major store) why not rename it "Westbury Square"?

Mab    1602

I wouldn't be surprised if HEB goes to Randalls in Meyer Park when their lease is due 

brucesw    34

Certainly would be ok with me if they took over Randall's - well, it's a little far, but I could deal with it.  But is that 85,000 sf? And did it flood at all?  It's still very close to the bayou.  I know water got up to the sign on W. Bellfort for the Kroger @ S. Post Oak but not in the store, which is on a rise. I don't know what happened on the other side of Post Oak but there was a lot of flooding in Willowbend back behind that Randall's.

Hadn't ever thought about Westbury Square.  Is there room for an 85,000 sf store and parking lot?

The mention of JC Penney was just a rumor on Next Door and I never thought it was likely. 

According to the Bellaire HEB thread, the store there is either going to be 70 or 75,000 sf, not 85. 

Wish they would come out closer to me -- take over the site of the former K-Mart on Beechnut @ 59/69, demolish it and start over.  I don't think that strip has ever been completely occupied since K-Mart closed and the only thing worth saving in there is Tau Bay Noodle House.  Of course, the surrounding neighborhoods are not as upscale as Meyerland and it's not very close to Meyerland, but .....

IronTiger    721
7 hours ago, brucesw said:

Certainly would be ok with me if they took over Randall's - well, it's a little far, but I could deal with it.  But is that 85,000 sf? And did it flood at all?  It's still very close to the bayou.  I know water got up to the sign on W. Bellfort for the Kroger @ S. Post Oak but not in the store, which is on a rise. I don't know what happened on the other side of Post Oak but there was a lot of flooding in Willowbend back behind that Randall's.

Hadn't ever thought about Westbury Square.  Is there room for an 85,000 sf store and parking lot?

The mention of JC Penney was just a rumor on Next Door and I never thought it was likely. 

According to the Bellaire HEB thread, the store there is either going to be 70 or 75,000 sf, not 85. 

Wish they would come out closer to me -- take over the site of the former K-Mart on Beechnut @ 59/69, demolish it and start over.  I don't think that strip has ever been completely occupied since K-Mart closed and the only thing worth saving in there is Tau Bay Noodle House.  Of course, the surrounding neighborhoods are not as upscale as Meyerland and it's not very close to Meyerland, but .....

The Randalls there at Bellfort and Post Oak is far smaller than what H-E-B wants. To occupy it would basically involve tearing down the adjacent strip mall area at least and terminating those leases, and the actual store would be have to be gutted to a shell to begin construction, if that. I don't think they would. I think that an additional 80,000 square foot store in that neighborhood is wishful thinking, and they're just going to have to settle for the new H-E-B at Bellaire, or take the Kroger and Randalls down south. It's possible that some independent will look at it.

As for the old Kmart on Beechnut, I did find an article that it was purchased in the mid-1990s and converted into an Asian interior mini-mall that reached 80% capacity if briefly. (Yes, I am aware that the presumed replacement Kmart at Beechnut at Beltway 8 did ALSO become an Asian mall, but no, this is the one at the Southwest Freeway)

VicMan    41
13 hours ago, brucesw said:

They could try to make a two story store. Many grocery stores in East Asia use a two story format.