Origin Of Montie Beach Name

Reefmonkey

Anyone know how a landlocked neighborhood next to the Heights got a moniker with "Beach" in it?

Does it have anything to do with the Heights being dry (liquor-free)? I ask because I went to college at SMU, which is in the dry municipality of University Park. On the other side of Mockingbird Lane is "wet" City of Dallas, and a liquor store right there. There used to be a big grassy field on the SMU side of Mockingbird right across from the liquor store, called "Cockerell Field", but nicknamed "Cockerell Beach" because it was "dry" land right next to "wet".

Anyone know how a landlocked neighborhood next to the Heights got a moniker with "Beach" in it?

Does it have anything to do with the Heights being dry (liquor-free)? I ask because I went to college at SMU, which is in the dry municipality of University Park. On the other side of Mockingbird Lane is "wet" City of Dallas, and a liquor store right there. There used to be a big grassy field on the SMU side of Mockingbird right across from the liquor store, called "Cockerell Field", but nicknamed "Cockerell Beach" because it was "dry" land right next to "wet".

• The title was changed to Origin Of Montie Beach Name

Archived