What Kind Of Area Is Montrose?

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

my close friend's father came out and divorced his mom when he was 16. the hardest part was definitely the divorce, though his parents are still close.

he hangs out with his dad all the time, and after a little bit of time he was ok with it.

i didn't meet him until college, i'm sure it was bad at first, but now he's very open about the whole thing.

• 1 month later...
A lot of my gay friends are "reformed" breeders. Have children, got married at a young age 'cuz society, family whatever told them that is the way it's done.
But ultimately it's the divorce that is hardest on the kids, not the fact that they have a gay parent.
my close friend's father came out and divorced his mom when he was 16. the hardest part was definitely the divorce, though his parents are still close.

he hangs out with his dad all the time, and after a little bit of time he was ok with it.

i didn't meet him until college, i'm sure it was bad at first, but now he's very open about the whole thing.

I agree that it is usually the divorce, and not the existence of a gay parent, that is hardest on children, at least in the long term. Of course, having a gay parent is difficult in the near-term as well. However, perhaps someone here can answer these questions:

If you are born gay, do you not know that you are gay prior to getting married? If so, why are you getting married? And, once you are married, don't you have a committment to remain married, regardless of the fact that you now "know" you are gay and, accordingly, never should have gotten married in the first place?

Thus, I don't understand why gay people feel the need to get a divorce from their heterosexual relationship---they presumably knew they were gay going into the marriage, so using the reason "I'm gay and need to be true to myself" as a reason to get out of the marriage seems awfully suspect and selfish to me. So why do gay people get a divorce from their marital relationship?

It doesn't matter to me if someone is gay. What bothers me though is for a gay person to get married, have a kid, and then---by declaring their need to an unmarried gay person---gets a divorce, effectively screwing up two people's lives that may never had been screwed up if: 1) the gay person had never gotten married in the first place [although I realize this may eliminate the existence of the child, but in any event....]; and 2) if the gay person had just followed through with their original marital committment. Does the gay parent ever truly consider the feelings of their kids when realizing "hey, I'm gay, I shouldn't be married!"?

Do any of my questions make sense?

If not, I'm sorry, but I have never (knowingly) met another child of a gay divorced parent, and I've often wondered what their thoughts on the matter were. When I was traveling around Australia, I met a gay divorced father who had several kids, and when I asked him how his kids handled his coming-out and his divorce, he seemed stunned and acted as if he had never considered what they thought about the matter. Instead, all of his comments revolved around how difficult it was for him to come out, and it seemed like no thought was ever given to his children's feelings. After I asked my question, he even said he had never even met a child of a gay parent! I was shocked....I mean, we aren't that rare, are we?

If you are born gay, do you not know that you are gay prior to getting married? If so, why are you getting married? And, once you are married, don't you have a committment to remain married, regardless of the fact that you now "know" you are gay and, accordingly, never should have gotten married in the first place?

Thus, I don't understand why gay people feel the need to get a divorce from their heterosexual relationship---they presumably knew they were gay going into the marriage, so using the reason "I'm gay and need to be true to myself" as a reason to get out of the marriage seems awfully suspect and selfish to me. So why do gay people get a divorce from their marital relationship?

it's more of a coming-to-terms-with-being-gay situation i suppose...

At one time,

Men were pressured to be married. You couldn't be gay or at least appear to be single.

The movie brokeback mountain is coming out soon and deals with that issue.

The two leads are gay but are married and with children.

many people go through their lives attempting to be what their families and friends perceive them to be. when you love your friends and family and the comfort that they bring, it can be difficult to acknowledge (even to yourself) that you really aren't straight.

i agree that the marriage commitment should supercede sexuality. it would be the ultimate act of unselfishness and love for another if someone were to bear their burden quietly. i know i'll get slammed for this. i'm not saying anyone should not be who they are. i'm simply attempting to illustrate that sexuality is a small part of life. there are more important things.

[

I can only speak from my experience but I've always known I was gay and have always been comfortable with it. I also understand many people suppress it and do marry, have children, stay married and sometimes get divorced. I just can't bring myself to judge anyone for being gay and married as I have been judged all my life just for being gay. That being said, I know lots of men and women who are gay, have been married, had children and now are divorced. Before I began this post, I took a quick mental survey and came to the conclusion that most of them have custody of the kids. I'm not sure what-if anything-that means. Most of these kids seem well adjusted and fairly normal for kids. Terrible 2 year olds, stinky 6 year olds, normal pain in the ass teens and straight adults with kids of their own.

As far as having a commitment to remain married, kids have a way of picking up on when their parents don't really want to be together anymore so I'm not quite sure it's good for the parents to stay together "for the kids". I know some pretty screwed up people that came from families like that. I've wondered if they would be different if they had grown up in a home without the constant stress between the parents.

In regards to the topic, "What Kind Of Area Is Montrose", none of these people live in Montrose. They live in the Heights, Oak Forest, Meyerland, Garden Oaks, etc...

B)

• 2 weeks later...

Year house built:

* 1999 to March 2000: 816

* 1995 to 1998: 912

* 1990 to 1994: 125

* 1980 to 1989: 766

* 1970 to 1979: 1596

* 1960 to 1969: 2079

* 1950 to 1959: 1553

* 1940 to 1949: 1044

* 1939 or earlier: 3153

for zipcode 77019:

Year house built:

* 1999 to March 2000: 679

* 1995 to 1998: 1265

* 1990 to 1994: 491

* 1980 to 1989: 619

* 1970 to 1979: 935

* 1960 to 1969: 1493

* 1950 to 1959: 874

* 1940 to 1949: 1182

* 1939 or earlier: 1788

unfortunately, the first and last numbers are swapping rapidly :(

also, there isn't any back up for data :unsure:

• 1 year later...
Yea, but there was no love lost there either, honky. Talk to some TSU kids from the 60s and get it from the horses' mouth. No counter riots, but lots and lots of tension.

And don't forget the race riots at Camp Logan during WWI.

Houston is good, but it ain't perfect like you think.

And don't forget Joe Campos Torres and all the other meskins that HPD used to drown in the bayou.

And don't forget Joe Campos Torres and all the other meskins that HPD used to drown in the bayou.

The world has changed, Houston's changed and Montrose has changed, even in the 2 years since Caddy started this thread.

The "Gay/Funky Montrose" theme had a 30 year run or so and now is possibly fading and stepping more towards an Upper Kirby Adjacent style. It's an easy prediction to say more mid and high rise residential going up around Westheimer, and that probably will mean a loss of a lot of that small, oddball retail and old architecture that gives that strip such character. Hopefully the new developments that come in will pay homage to the funky era with something interesting and artsy and not sterile.

Rail on Richmond might start a whole other fire on that end.

The world has changed, Houston's changed and Montrose has changed, even in the 2 years since Caddy started this thread.

The "Gay/Funky Montrose" theme had a 30 year run or so and now is possibly fading and stepping more towards an Upper Kirby Adjacent style. It's an easy prediction to say more mid and high rise residential going up around Westheimer, and that probably will mean a loss of a lot of that small, oddball retail and old architecture that gives that strip such character. Hopefully the new developments that come in will pay homage to the funky era with something interesting and artsy and not sterile.

Montrose has definitely changed a bit, and for a couple reasons. As is the case in most big cities, neighborhoods known for having a large gay community end up becoming very popular places to live for both gays and straights... this drives up property values and forces some to have to leave. This also can make the neighborhood lose more and more of its eclectic feel. If you want to make a long-term real estate investment, follow artists and gay guys!! ha ha Another reason I think Montrose has changed is b/c gay people feel more and more comfortable living in other places... they/we don't feel a need to congregate around each other so closely. My bf and I live in the Heights, as do most of our gay friends (and from what I have seen A LOT of other gay people). I still love Montrose and would live their in a second... we just found a home in the Heights... close enough.

Yeah, gays tend to be very good for neighborhood values.

At one time,Men were pressured to be married. You couldn't be gay or at least appear to be single.
I'm always presumed to be straight and because I am not married (to a woman) ... therefore, single.Like hello people! There are more marital statuses than single or married!Married, straight people are the worst at this gaff.

• 8 years later...
On 11/11/2005 at 9:22 AM, sevfiv said:

Year house built:

* 1999 to March 2000: 816

* 1995 to 1998: 912

* 1990 to 1994: 125

* 1980 to 1989: 766

* 1970 to 1979: 1596

* 1960 to 1969: 2079

* 1950 to 1959: 1553

* 1940 to 1949: 1044

* 1939 or earlier: 3153