Amazon HQ2

Timoric

I think that the whole thing is now little more than a bait-and-switch rope-a-dope.  To me it shows how thin the ethics of Amazon actually are as a company and it directly negatively impacts my personal view on Bezos.  If this reporting turns out to be true, i will think less of Amazon as a company  and will purposely spend less with them in favor of other merchants.

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the whole NYC/DC split turns out to be reality, it's incredibly disappointing.

I agree with UtterlyUrban, Amazon wasn't high on my personal list, but wherever they were they dropped even lower. In a way, I can see the business logic behind NYC/DC, but being one who lived in both cities for a short period of time, I can see some potential problems. 

Sure, both cities have the public transit systems so many were saying Amazon valued, but one (NYC) is falling apart and overcrowded while the other (DC) is simply overcrowded and was never equipped to handle the volume of people the city continues to draw in. From my time living in Reston, VA, traffic was atrocious. My commute to Arlington was at least an hour and 15 minutes each way, and the sad part was taking the Metro only improved things by about 10 minutes, so most days it was the Metro if it wasn't on fire (yes, the Metro catching fire is a thing). And it's fair to complain that the traffic in Houston is frustrating, but at least the infrastructure down here is adequate for the volume of drivers. The highway system surrounding DC is a joke, and it will be a while before it comes anywhere close to where it needs to be. Just imagine the congestion once Amazon comes to town. 

Furthermore, from a value standpoint, both cities are ridiculously overpriced. Not to toot Houston's horn too much in this post, but I'm able to afford a larger apartment in a nicer area of town now versus what I was able to afford in DC with a roommate, and I'm still paying less with utilities! I know Amazon has many positions that pay well, but even still the presence of the company is only going to drive up the cost of things wherever it is present.

• 2 months later...

I hate to bump this thread, but...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/facing-opposition-amazon-reconsiders-ny-headquarters-site-2-officials-say/ar-BBTleNx?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Realistically, what I think this amounts to is amazon threatening to not locate there if NYC doesn't meet their demands. 

From a civic point of view, Amazon is really looking like a bully here. The thing of it is, this is a climate that we've all endorsed for years as standard policy.

On 2/8/2019 at 3:38 PM, samagon said:

I hate to bump this thread, but...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/facing-opposition-amazon-reconsiders-ny-headquarters-site-2-officials-say/ar-BBTleNx?OCID=ansmsnnews11

Realistically, what I think this amounts to is amazon threatening to not locate there if NYC doesn't meet their demands. 

From a civic point of view, Amazon is really looking like a bully here. The thing of it is, this is a climate that we've all endorsed for years as standard policy.

They may have been a bully in the whole HQ2 search process, but walking away when the city and state start balking at doing what they agreed to do does not strike me as bullying behavior.

There is plenty of egg to cover plenty of faces on this fiasco:  Cuomo, DiBlasio, Bezos, and all of their respective staffs and assistants who were involved in this.

New York egg: offering so much tax abatement with out consulting with the legislators that would have to approve it

Amazon egg: making a huge reality show out of the search, only to end up opening 2 large offices and a medium office (not one big HQ) and then consiolidating it all into one location when there's some push back

The sad thing is that the Amazon move was polling at 70% in NYC, it was just loud complaining about the tax abatement.  They could have probably negotiated that some more.

Frankly NYC doesn't need Amazon and now the other 17 cities not chosen for HQ2 get a piece of the 25,000 jobs that were going to go there.

Just like with migration, NYC once again helps beef up the rest of the US.

On 2/21/2019 at 7:01 AM, cspwal said:

I'm pretty sure they are just going to split those 25,000 jobs between Seattle, Crystal City, and Memphis

That's not what their press release said. All 17 cities will get a bump in jobs coming from this decision. Seattle, DC, and Nashville will probably get larger shares of the 25k, but not everything.

Archived