Antioch Missionary Baptist Church At 500 Clay St.

hannihoney

I'm getting married in May and am on the hunt for a small historic chapel in the city of Houston, similar to St. John Church in Sam Houston Heritage park. I heard Addicks United Methodist would fit the bill, but it's a ways out. On the corner of Beltway 8 and Westheimer there's an old looking chapel, but am not sure what it's called or if it's in operation. Can anyone provide recommendations?

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Looks like sadly no one responded to your post, but did you end up finding a historic chapel for your wedding? I'm actually in exactly the same situation, only we're a little shorter on time as we're trying to plan around relatives living abroad who have restricted travel capacity. I'd love to share leads!

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church is historical, but also very large, not quite a chapel. FYI: I ended up booking the Houston Arboretum for our wedding--there's no chapel, but the historical element is cool (from 1917 to 1923, the land was the site of Camp Logan, a World War I Army training camp.) The small clearing we reserved seats 60 people--it's very intimate.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Robert Holler Photography has added a photo to the pool:

Antioch Missionary Baptist Church

In January of 1866, seven months after slaves were freed in Texas (June 19, 1865), a small group of freed slaves organized the first African American Baptist Church in Houston, Texas. They were assisted by the First Baptist Church and missionaries. After holding worship services at the First Baptist Church and the German Baptist Church, they began to hold services on Buffalo Bayou in a "Brush Arbor." Later, they moved to "Baptist Hill" located at Rusk and Bagby until the present site was purchased. Services were conducted by ministers who traveled to different locations, at stated times.
In 1868, one of Antioch's members, Jack Yates, was ordained at the first Association meeting for African American Baptist Churches. This was the first National Baptist Convention. Rev. Jack Yates became the first pastor of Antioch. As the membership grew and additional space was needed, Rev. Yates led the church to purchase its present site and build a brick structure. The church, located in the center of Freedman's Town, was the center of activity for the African-American community. It was the first brick structure built and owned by African-Americans in Houston. Antioch provided the former slaves with opportunities to learn not only about God, but also provided ministries to help them develop educationally, economically and socially. The first educational opportunity for freed African-Americans began at Antioch. With the help of two missionaries, Rev. Yates began the Baptist Academy. The Baptist Academy taught fundamentals such as: reading, writing, and arithmetic,; in addition to trades, thus enabling men and women to start their own businesses. The Baptist Academy later became Houston College. Houston College was the forerunner of Texas Southern University.

View the full article

• The title was changed to Antioch Missionary Baptist Church At 500 Clay St.