Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

I simply think it does not look nice. I would like it more if it had a more natural feel; for example, if it looked like it was made of wood and was less ostentatious that would be a huge improvement imho.

Then it wouldn't be so 'arty'. Since it's being touted as a civic arts project, I wonder how much of the funding (if any) is coming from federal arts funding?

Remember, this design was chosen in a competition. It is billed as art and art is objectionable. Personally, I like it (from the few pictures I've seen). Also, with the density that is already there or planned, I think it will be heavily used. It will also be helpful, for those north of Memorial & Allen Pkwy, getting to the dog park that's right there.

Remember, this design was chosen in a competition. It is billed as art and art is objectionable.

LOL. I remember my freshman year of college, I had a professor who said "y'all just remember that this is Houston. We don't do art here. We do chemicals."

I like it too. It's a little pointy for my tastes, but that's fine; I'm just glad any pedestrian-only bridge is getting built over the bayou.

LOL. I remember my freshman year of college, I had a professor who said "y'all just remember that this is Houston. We don't do art here. We do chemicals."

I like it too. It's a little pointy for my tastes, but that's fine; I'm just glad any pedestrian-only bridge is getting built over the bayou.

Oh puleeeze. That professor is an idiot! :angry: We do do art. We have the largest art car parade, the Museum of Natural Science has the second highest attendance of all museums in our country. To my knowledge, the Menil Collection is the, if not one of, the largest privately held collections on display. Plus, there are galleries and studios all over this town. And... remember the Westheimer (now Bayou City) Art Festival. I miss the street fest.

Sorry, I got riled.

Oh puleeeze. That professor is an idiot! :angry: We do do art. We have the largest art car parade, the Museum of Natural Science has the second highest attendance of all museums in our country. To my knowledge, the Menil Collection is the, if not one of, the largest privately held collections on display. Plus, there are galleries and studios all over this town. And... remember the Westheimer (now Bayou City) Art Festival. I miss the street fest.

Sorry, I got riled.

Deep breaths!! I should have added that this was in 1983 when the city's art scene was far smaller, and he was a rather militant transplant from a big city in the east. Anyway the point is that there a still a lot of people (the kind who post on chron.com) who consider art in the public realm to be wasteful and unnecessary. I do not agree. Clearly you don't either. :)

Deep breaths!! I should have added that this was in 1983 when the city's art scene was far smaller, and he was a rather militant transplant from a big city in the east. Anyway the point is that there a still a lot of people (the kind who post on chron.com) who consider art in the public realm to be wasteful and unnecessary. I do not agree. Clearly you don't either. :)

Oh, I saw those posts on chron.com. Hicks, I say. Pure-dee hicks. ITLers like our art.

And your professor would have been correct in '83. We've come a long way, Baby.

Edited by rsb320

Wow, every single comment on that Chron article is incredibly hostile towards the idea of the city building a pedestrian bridge.

Hah, the millions of people that live in the suburbs or exurbs don't understand. Those of us that live in the area know that this is very much needed for the future and will be used a lot--especially given the future for development in the area for both sides of the Bayou.

Also remember that reading online comments to articles (at least for chron.com) will make you want to jump off of a cliff. There are few things that I've found more depressing in my day-to-day life than reading those comments sections.

I think it should be a rope and plank bridge, all natural. Like in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom. I mean, there are already some gators down there, so it's exactly the same.

"Go ahead Dr. Jones...drop them! They will be found. You won't!!"

Yeah! Then they could throw in a couple of rotten planks here and there for some real excitement, then give it a name like "Passable Bridge". Where were we during this competition?

• 2 months later...

are there any updates on this? My guess is it won't come to fruition until long after we leave the area, but I'm still curious.

I know people do it, but I'm not comfortable pushing our stroller across the bridge at studemont because it seems like it would be hard for cyclists, joggers and dogs to get around without going into traffic.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Didn't have time to post this earlier, but Chron.com mentioned that they just broke ground on this project.

Couldn't find an article on the Chron. So I went to ABC 13, but found a ridicilously short article. 39 News had good info. And a quick google search found this blog that looks intresting, "OffCite". Also when did the Tolerance Bridge change names to the Rosemont bridge?

It broke ground yesterday at 11 am, with Mayor Parker on hand.

http://www.39online.com/lifestyle/goinggreen/kiah-gg-new-buffalo-bayou-bridge-story,0,3629061.story

http://offcite.org/2010/03/14/the-bridge-formerly-known-as-tolerance

As they say, "Build a bridge. GET OVER IT". Any ideas on time of completion? I checked out all the links provided and didn't see a possible "finish by" date. How long does it take to build a bridge?

Well, it took 4 years to build the Golden Gate bridge, so it might be a little less time than that.

it'll probably hurt me, i'm going to get lazy and cut south across the bayou there instead of biking all the way to Waugh. but i agree it will be great to have overall, and i'm glad the design is changing as well.

i wonder what affect it will have on the 'dog park' on the southwest corner there, its already really crowded i'm betting it will get a lot more traffic.

I'm always seeing people cross the Studemont bridge in the afternoons and I get nervous for them. They are one slip from getting hit by traffic or one text away from from some doofus hitting the curb.

Is there anyone that lives nearby that can post before (or current) pictures so we can have a comparison after it's complete?

Don't really see why everyone didn't like the design, I thought it was pretty creative, but thank god for the name change.

I'm always seeing people cross the Studemont bridge in the afternoons and I get nervous for them. They are one slip from getting hit by traffic or one text away from from some doofus hitting the curb.

Is there anyone that lives nearby that can post before (or current) pictures so we can have a comparison after it's complete?

Don't really see why everyone didn't like the design, I thought it was pretty creative, but thank god for the name change.

I agree with you ricco about liking the previous design. I think the more creative and interesting in Houston creates more buzz. Also it gives people a reason to come visit that part of town, that most have never been to and see how great it is.

creating interesting bridge > more ordinary bridge.

my opinion

I agree with you ricco about liking the previous design. I think the more creative and interesting in Houston creates more buzz. Also it gives people a reason to come visit that part of town, that most have never been to and see how great it is.

creating interesting bridge > more ordinary bridge.

my opinion

I don't think anyone outside of the "locals" will give a flip about this bridge, but the design should be something that those merely passing by would say "Hey! that's kinda' neat!"

Believe me, I'm sure this bridge will be VERY popular to photographers.

I do hope they add something that would attract bats to the CENTER of the bridge so the poo can go straight into the water.