Buffalo Bayou Master Plan

houstonfella

The Rice/Grain thing was approximately where the 25 story building is, so I think the rail bridge over Buffalo was east of Montrose. I think there is still some evidence of the remaining pilings, but I'm not sure.

Multiple landing points means that you'll be able to get on/off north of Memorial, south of Memorial/north of Buffalo and north of Allen Pkwy/south of Buffalo.

I think the Asian Center was maybe in the eastside TIRZ.

The old rail bridge (Southern Pacific) was removed several years ago. The rail connected north of Washington Ave, south past the old rice elevators across the bayou to the Robinson Public Warehouse (originally a Sears demolished last year). The rail line had earlier continued south through present day Montrose and Mid Town connecting to the rail lines parralelling Almeda Rd.

It just hit me that this thing would not be very "visible" to drivers (might not be intended anyway). It's just like those two "torches" we have on the side of 45 in downtown when approaching the Pierce Elevated. Who can actually see what is it they're observing? Certainly the drivers doing 85MPH can't.

It just hit me that this thing would not be very "visible" to drivers (might not be intended anyway). It's just like those two "torches" we have on the side of 45 in downtown when approaching the Pierce Elevated. Who can actually see what is it they're observing? Certainly the drivers doing 85MPH can't.

I think it's probably not intended to be for the benefit of drivers along 45. Especially the way it's oriented to frame the skyline from the right angle.

The whole idea is that art can be part of public green space in ways other than a sculpture plopped down in the grass.

And dude, if you are Jason Statham, please PM me. I have a, uh..... script to show you. :P

I have sticky tires... the fastest I hit it was at 86. Barely.

Nonono, you have to hit it at EXACTLY 88 to get the intended effect!

You guys can laugh all you want, but naming something the "Tolerance Bridge" is certain to make Houstonians more tolerant!

:wub::unsure::rolleyes:

Of what? The name??

Interesting design but I am afraid that I am a little more conserative in myy designs.

Why couldn't they just bname it more along the lines of our

State/city history by naming it after an unsung figure in hstory or someone that made a contribution to the city or something like a former police/fire chief, or politian of distinction? Hell, name it the Zindler bridge or something.

State/city history by naming it after an unsung figure in hstory or someone that made a contribution to the city or something like a former police/fire chief, or politian of distinction? Hell, name it the Zindler bridge or something.

You are demonstrating insufficient tolerance. You will be hung from the Tolerance Bridge at sundown.

"The Ray Hill Bridge"!

Hmmm. Buffalo Bayou. Bridge.

What was the name of the guy a couple of cops killed and threw into the bayou, back in the late 70s?

Joe Campos Torres, and maybe. But I don't want any damn militant mexicans to use it at a rally location for any slight they feel that they endure, either real or imagined.

Joe Campos Torres, and maybe. But I don't want any damn militant mexicans to use it at a rally location for any slight they feel that they endure, either real or imagined.

well, that's why it's going to be the tolerance bridge! Everyone will use it to get camera time while they claim injustice.

I can't believe people are griping about the name. At least the intentions are good. Jeez, anything other than naming it after some stupid politician.

Its a horrible name. Nobody has ever thought to himself "Well, I was going to be intolerant of this person...but there is a Tolerance Bridge over the Buffalo Bayou, so I have decided to show some tolerance." You can't encourage an ideal by naming a bridge after the ideal. Now a 7 million dollar community center where people can congregate, that might help foster some tolerance.

Its a horrible name. Nobody has ever thought to himself "Well, I was going to be intolerant of this person...but there is a Tolerance Bridge over the Buffalo Bayou, so I have decided to show some tolerance." You can't encourage an ideal by naming a bridge after the ideal. Now a 7 million dollar community center where people can congregate, that might help foster some tolerance.

Of course it won't foster tolerance, any more than the Peace Bridge fosters peace. But that said, it's silly to take it literally. There's nothing wrong sometimes with naming things after laudable ideals is there?

Of course it won't foster tolerance, any more than the Peace Bridge fosters peace. But that said, it's silly to take it literally. There's nothing wrong sometimes with naming things after laudable ideals is there?

So when you say you admire their intentions, you admire their intention to do what, exactly?

Name it the Bill White Bridge. I love that guy.

Put a quote on a placard.

"You need to move these $*&@ing trucks!"

-Bill White, during Hurricane Ike

Edited by kylejack

I would say no, except when those ideals have been beaten into the ground. Maybe down the bayou we can get a Diversity Bridge, and further on we can top it all off with a Freedom Bridge. We'll rename Allen Parkway the Cliche Parkway. As long as we've given up on creativity we can at least go for consistency.

I think most people are aguing instead that "Tolerance" isn't a very laudable ideal. "Tolerance" sounds very 1970s. As in, "I don't like those other cultures, but I'll do the right thing and tolerate them."

A hallmark of Houston is that it--far more than the vast, vast majority of other cities--welcomes and encourages people of all cultures, races, and ethnicities. It's one of the things that makes Houston a great city and provides international appeal.

If you don't believe it, then take a day this weekend and drive around the city. Try going to some places you've never been to before. It's amazing how eclectic Houston's residents are and how cohesively we operate as Houstonians.

Houston doesn't "tolerate" others--it embraces others. Even if it's a simple error in linguistics, the naming of this Bridge misses the point.

Yeah, where do these hippies get off? Who would be so stupid to think that naming a public structure after some silly ideal like would have any impact on people whatsoever?

Statue_of_Liberty,_NY.jpg

Exterior_view_of_Independence_Hall_(circa_1770s).jpg