Where Was This Stop N Go

IronTiger

stop_n_go_gas_station.jpg

The source is Houston Chronicle from this page but does anyone know where this is today? I'd say it still exists as a Valero with a Corner Store, and you can see a Long John Silver's in the background to the left and apartments(?) to the right. The road seems to be a typical four-lane thoroughfare but lacks a large median, my first guess was Long Point Road but that lacks Corner Store gas stations oriented like that.

The apartments along Bissonnet are beyond the U-Haul facility.  In the pic linked by gnu the building with the blue sign across Bissonnet was identified in a thread in Historic Houston I think as a Chuck Wagon (bbq? burgers?).  It then was briefly a place specializing in sliders called My-T-Bite or something like that and for probably at least 20 years has been El Pupusodromo, part of a local chain of Salvadoran places.  Beyond that, on the corner of McAvoy, is a small grocery store with a tortilleria attached. I do not remember a LJS along there.  I will have to take a drive and look. 

The CarTex across Bissonnet was a Pizza Inn, then a pawn shop or insurance office for a few years.

The Baskin Robbins catty-corner has been there forever and is still standing.  The Parkway Center behind it, which was anchored by an A&P 50 years ago, was leveled for an Aldi. You can see the blue construction fence (in the 1/16 picture).  Aldi opened ca. May of last year.

I am not aware of changes on the other corner which is the SW point of a residential neighborhood.

1 hour ago, brucesw said:

The apartments along Bissonnet are beyond the U-Haul facility.  In the pic linked by gnu the building with the blue sign across Bissonnet was identified in a thread in Historic Houston I think as a Chuck Wagon (bbq? burgers?).  It then was briefly a place specializing in sliders called My-T-Bite or something like that and for probably at least 20 years has been El Pupusodromo, part of a local chain of Salvadoran places.  Beyond that, on the corner of McAvoy, is a small grocery store with a tortilleria attached. I do not remember a LJS along there.  I will have to take a drive and look. 

The CarTex across Bissonnet was a Pizza Inn, then a pawn shop or insurance office for a few years.

The Baskin Robbins catty-corner has been there forever and is still standing.  The Parkway Center behind it, which was anchored by an A&P 50 years ago, was leveled for an Aldi. You can see the blue construction fence (in the 1/16 picture).  Aldi opened ca. May of last year.

I am not aware of changes on the other corner which is the SW point of a residential neighborhood.

From perspective it looks like El Pupusodromo looks like it would be LJS. Meanwhile, Smiley Plaza looks like it replaced something else (between McAvoy and the apartment complex) sometime after 1989 but before 1995 per aerials but HCAD says it was built in 1974 (and Smiley Plaza does not say "1990s build" to me). The picture must have been when Stop N Go was brand-new as HCAD says 1985. Knowing this chain, I'd say that in the mid-1990s it converted to a Diamond Shamrock but kept the name, renovated & rebranded the Stop N Go into a Corner Store (DS had that shape of Corner Store) in the early 2000s, then rebranded as a Valero around 2006 or 2007.

• The title was changed to Where Was This Stop N Go?
  • The title was changed to Where Was This Stop N Go

Archived