Houston Farmers Market At 2520 Airline Dr.

s3mh

On 11/8/2019 at 10:48 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

It is, I live right down the street. But this whole area is getting a total revamp. 

Yes, there is still produce at the market but Junior’s (the large place that tried to replace Canino’s) announced their closure a couple of months ago.

I was wishing the best for them, as a regular Canino’s shopper but their produce was always pretty terrible.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/2/2020 at 10:53 PM, Triton said:

Wow really shocked no one has gotten an update on this site. Huge changes have already been made. Large steel beams and part of the roof are already up on the north side.

Went here a couple weeks ago and saw. Took some pics, but just completely forgot about it when I got back home. I'll post them later today or tomorrow.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Canino Produce Co. Farmers Market at 2520 Airline Dr
  • 2 months later...
  • The title was changed to Houston Farmers Market at 2520 Airline Dr

Renamed this to Houston Farmers Market since that's the official name now. 

Surprised there haven't been new pics of this place in a year. It's looks like it's close to be finished with giant Houston Farmers Market lettering on the top.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Triton said:

Renamed this to Houston Farmers Market since that's the official name now. 

Surprised there haven't been new pics of this place in a year. It's looks like it's close to be finished with giant Houston Farmers Market lettering on the top.

Let's have some punctuation fun on this St. Patrick's day (notice Patrick's is singular possessive - it's his day after all). Does the lettering retain the apostrophe between the r and s in farmer's (belongs to one farmer) or was it moved to the right of the s (belongs to more than one farmer)? 🙂

If there is no apostrophe it could be assumed it is the market of the farmers (created by them - was it?), by the farmers (run by them - which it may not be), and for the farmers (to sell their wares and make some money).

Thank you for indulging my early morning whim.

All silliness aside, I really enjoyed the original Canino's farmers market and I hope to visit the new facility as soon as I get my second vaccine. I've already received my first. Yay! 😁

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Specwriter said:

Let's have some punctuation fun on this St. Patrick's day (notice Patrick's is singular possessive - it's his day after all). Does the lettering retain the apostrophe between the r and s in farmer's (belongs to one farmer) or was it moved to the right of the s (belongs to more than one farmer)? 🙂

If there is no apostrophe it could be assumed it is the market of the farmers (created by them - was it?), by the farmers (run by them - which it may not be), and for the farmers (to sell their wares and make some money).

It's even better than that. The website shows plural and not possessive - except at the very top of the page where, in what is presumably an early rendering, the sign contains an apostrophe. Scroll down a bit to an actual picture of the sign, and the apostrophe is gone. 

https://thehoustonfarmersmarket.com/

The inability to correctly distinguish between the plural and the possessive is one of the great evils of the modern age. I blame the demise of old-school English teachers whose sadistic reputations were built on forcing countless generations of junior-high students to diagram sentences on chalkboards until their fingers bled.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go yell at some clouds.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeSP_48sEFNAWA1DAbB7V

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

Great reply, mkultra. My seventh-grade English teacher was a classic. I'll never forget her walking into the classroom on the first day of class and saying "Analyze and criticize and I won't penalize." She was tough but we did learn 'reedin n riten.' 🙂

• Like 3

On 3/17/2021 at 10:15 PM, mkultra25 said:

It's even better than that. The website shows plural and not possessive - except at the very top of the page where, in what is presumably an early rendering, the sign contains an apostrophe. Scroll down a bit to an actual picture of the sign, and the apostrophe is gone. 

https://thehoustonfarmersmarket.com/

The inability to correctly distinguish between the plural and the possessive is one of the great evils of the modern age. I blame the demise of old-school English teachers whose sadistic reputations were built on forcing countless generations of junior-high students to diagram sentences on chalkboards until their fingers bled.

Now if you'll excuse me, I've got to go yell at some clouds.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeSP_48sEFNAWA1DAbB7V

According to merriam-webster.com:

Since a farmers market is a place where farmers convene, but that does not necessarily belong to the farmers, many style guides recommend eliminating the apostrophe and simply treating the plural noun as a modifier: farmers market, a market for farmers.

• Like 8

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, wilcal said:

Looks like the large previous Green Sheet lot next door transacted. Anyone know what might go in there? I thought I had read about some townhomes going in somewhere https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/1690-North-Loop-Houston-TX/15617544/

Someone asked this on reddit/houston, this is what I found and posted to him/her. Self storage.

https://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Greensheet-property-on-the-North-Loop-sold-for-13771053.php

• The title was changed to Houston Farmers Market At 2520 Airline Dr.
  • 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I relocated from Houston to San Antonio last summer (note: I am a native Houstonian and will always identify as such) so I don't get much opportunity to "get around town." Does Houston Farmers Market actually have produce vendors or is it just a fancy food court? It seems in these times of shortages and logistics problems having an outlet for locally sourced fresh food would be a very good thing.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Specwriter said:

I relocated from Houston to San Antonio last summer (note: I am a native Houstonian and will always identify as such) so I don't get much opportunity to "get around town." Does Houston Farmers Market actually have produce vendors or is it just a fancy food court? It seems in these times of shortages and logistics problems having an outlet for locally sourced fresh food would be a very good thing.

There are many produce vendors. This corridor has a bunch of produce wholesalers, even to this day. With that being said, little to none of it is local.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, wilcal said:

There are many produce vendors. This corridor has a bunch of produce wholesalers, even to this day. With that being said, little to none of it is local.

The new owners were planning on bringing in more high end foodie stuff, including vendors that you would see at the various weekend farmers markets around town.  But that has not happened yet.  I think it may be that these vendors aren't ready to have a retail space that is operating on a daily basis.  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, s3mh said:

The new owners were planning on bringing in more high end foodie stuff, including vendors that you would see at the various weekend farmers markets around town.  But that has not happened yet.  I think it may be that these vendors aren't ready to have a retail space that is operating on a daily basis.  

If there has been an upside to COVID it is the ability for some of us to work from home and do our food shopping on days other than the weekend. Foodie stuff is fun, especially for us DINKS (empty nesters who don't want to go out too often these days), but there is a significant segment of the population that need access to affordable and healthy food. When I did go to Canino's I would see many people there who I suspect were on a tight budget and made their own meals as opposed to eating out.

1 hour ago, Specwriter said:

If there has been an upside to COVID it is the ability for some of us to work from home and do our food shopping on days other than the weekend. Foodie stuff is fun, especially for us DINKS (empty nesters who don't want to go out too often these days), but there is a significant segment of the population that need access to affordable and healthy food. When I did go to Canino's I would see many people there who I suspect were on a tight budget and made their own meals as opposed to eating out.

The upside to the failure to get leases for more upscale local vendors is that a fair number of the original vendors have been able to stay.  When Canino's closed, everyone thought that the new owners would kick out all of the vendors and turn it into a permanent version of Urban Harvest's market.  So far, the market is still serving the same folks who frequented the market before the renovations with facilities that are way nicer for both the customers and vendors.  I think there is still potential to have the original vendors and more upscale vendors to thrive in the same space.  But, ironically, the question seems to be whether the latter can make it and not the former.  

1 hour ago, s3mh said:

The upside to the failure to get leases for more upscale local vendors is that a fair number of the original vendors have been able to stay.  When Canino's closed, everyone thought that the new owners would kick out all of the vendors and turn it into a permanent version of Urban Harvest's market.  So far, the market is still serving the same folks who frequented the market before the renovations with facilities that are way nicer for both the customers and vendors.  I think there is still potential to have the original vendors and more upscale vendors to thrive in the same space.  But, ironically, the question seems to be whether the latter can make it and not the former.  

Thanks for the update, s3mh. Obviously a nicer facility will bring more shoppers which should benefit both the original and newer vendors.

Canino's was a special place for me. My family and many of our neighbors created an ad hoc co-op if you will back in the early 1970's. I remember going to Canino's with my parents and buying cases of produce which we then took home and divvied up with the other co-op members. They were doing that as much for the quality of the produce as for the cost savings.

In the early morning of my wedding day I went to Canino's with my caterer's shopping list and filled my vehicle with all sorts of fruits and vegetables. I remember distinctly the smell of strawberries filling my vehicle as I made my way back from the farmers market. I was glad to lend a hand since the caterer was, and still is, a friend of the family and all the food and a beautiful wedding cake were a gift to my bride and me. We were just out of college and didn't have a lot of money so her gift was tremendously appreciated. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

Several planning review permits were submitted recently for Houston Farmers Market, 2520 Airline Dr. One permit is for a greenhouse event center. Another is for a sporting club in building A. 

I don't know what the sporting club is or if it will be another branch of the Sporting Club, a supper club located on Washington Avenue. 

https://www.newquest.com/property/houston-farmers-market/
https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/2520-Airline-Dr-Houston-TX/21414340/

https://www.newquest.com/pdfs/Houston_Farmers_Market.pdf
https://images1.loopnet.com/d2/_mMBgv7UHO5Ckz4d4LIKyte1TcEbFQUCphyP-HEoHSQ/HoustonFarmersMarket.pdf

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 4

Seeing the "free standing restaurant" available for lease rubs salt in the open wound that still festers from the closure of the building's longtime former tenant, the late, lamented Triple-A Restaurant. Forget Underbelly Burger, nothing will ever compare to the Triple-A's fresh ground cheeseburger.

• Like 2