CrockpotandGravel

Westheimer Flea Market @ 1731 Westheimer

31 posts in this topic

On 7/5/2017 at 3:27 PM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Parking wouldn't be an issue if the city provided better public transportation and loosen parking requirements. It's not just residents who patron the businesses on lower Westheimer, but people drive to Montrose, Midtown, River Oaks, The Galleria, and The Heights from all the city. So it irks me when people make the argument that people can walk to these places because they live nearby and therefore, the businesses don't need parking. That's simply not true. Other than buses, there are no light rail options connecting these busy neighborhoods that would ease parking and the need for parking at individual places. Let's be honest, people aren't going to take the bus to Montrose if they live far away, that in itself takes longer than driving there themselves or hopping on a light rail. Light rail is needed to bring people to the area who would drive their cars because they don't live anywhere nearby.

I've been taking buses to Montrose for years. The 82 Westheimer runs every 6 minutes during the day now. My problem is with minimum parking, not with a private business deciding to build some parking. Businesses should build however much parking they think they need, and if it's not enough, their business will suffer and they'll have to build more. 

1 person likes this

Thanks for posting, DCRE. My ire was 100% directed at the City's backward policies, not at the development, which looks nice.

4 hours ago, kylejack said:

I've been taking buses to Montrose for years. The 82 Westheimer runs every 6 minutes during the day now. My problem is with minimum parking, not with a private business deciding to build some parking. Businesses should build however much parking they think they need, and if it's not enough, their business will suffer and they'll have to build more. 

And how far from Montrose did you take the bus? Was it from Houston's far south side in the vicinity of the Beltway and Telephone Road? Or was it from Houston's east side near Channelview? Or was it from Missouri City or Sugar Land? What about Friendswood or Spring? Taking the bus to Montrose or anywhere downtown outside of the park & rides for work takes hours and no one is going to do that in the evening or when the sun's out for a day or night out in Montrose. The city and districts like Montrose and Upper Kirby need light rail and blended parking garage structures every few blocks to encourage people to park and walk.

You're not going to convince me of what "no one" will do when I've been relying on bicycle and bus alone for over ten years now. My work commute is about an hour and a half every day per way on transit. I spend the time listening to a podcast or catching up on news. Car reliance is going to become less and less common in the coming years. 

Parking garage structures that an area can share would be great to reduce the amount of surface lots. Unfortunately the City's barbaric parking laws do not allow for this except in special cases and each business must meet its parking requirement with on-site parking within a very short distance of their entrances.

The City has been toying with some special parking areas that will allow for solutions like this, but unfortunately this highly walkable development's location is outside the zone.

1 person likes this