Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IronTiger

Wolfe Nursery

2 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Another entry in Houston history via newspaper series is Wolfe Nursery. This clipping I've had for a while, but never shared as far as I know. Wolfe Nursery was a chain of plant nurseries, hitting its zenith in the early 1990s (this is from 1994, the peak of their success). They went bankrupt in 1998 and the chain vanished shortly thereafter. They had stores in other cities too but this is Houston history so it's Houston locations. Here's an ad from it, and I've also done the work of tracking down the locations listed on the ad.

7IzN4Wi.jpg

14250 Bellaire - renovated into strip mall (main building) and warehouses (former greenhouse area)
8603 Westheimer - replaced by Target and the stores in front of it (Chick-fil-a, etc.), looks like former flagship
3600 Southeast Beltway 8 (3600 East Sam Houston Pkwy. S) in Pasadena - Houston Garden Centers
10939 Katy Freeway - later Houston Garden Centers and later Big Tex Trees (also 10910), now home to Carvana (razed and rebuilt)
25598 North Freeway - this was The Woodlands location (I-45 and Rayford), address obtained from newspaper archives, it was converted into Taquerias Arandas
4525 Gulf Freeway (La Marque) - now Team Mancuso Powersports South
435 FM 1960 West (Cypress Station) - the roadside sign is the same shape I remember distinctive of the chain, seems to be vacant with a number of fly-by-night tenants over the years
916 S. Mason Road - renovated into smaller stores
1445 W. Bay Area Blvd. - it was at the very end of the concrete cul-de-sac behind the strip mall and to the east of Toys R Us, it was demolished around 2005 and is now part of the drainage lot. It is clearly visible in the 2004 Google Earth shot though. Internet records say it was later Teas Nursery.
1618 West Loop North - Houston Garden Centers
4545 Beechnut - later Teas Nursery, it is clearly a nursery of some sort today but locked up with no signage visible, likely wholesale operation
10602 FM 1960 West - now Bizarre Bazaar
13802 Murphy Road - later Houston Garden Center, now Fort Bend Mechanical (uses foundation of old building), appears to have been abandoned around time underpass was preparing for work
22205 Eastex Freeway - now Golf Cars of Houston

The lone non-Houston store is College Station. The store at 6900 East Bypass is now 2300 Earl Rudder Freeway and was extensively remodeled in the mid-2000s to become a Cavender's Boot City. I didn't give the fate of the Bear Creek store (couldn't nail down exact address, a tad too blurry).

Enjoy!

Edited by IronTiger

I remember Wolfe well! Went to the Bellaire location with my mom.

Look at this street view image from that location!

wolfe nursery.jpg