Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Triton

W. 11th and Nicholson St

33 posts in this topic

17 hours ago, JJxvi said:

I lived on Nicholson.  It is not wide enough for cars turning right onto it to only look one direction.  In fact the bollards from the bike trail can really narrow it up and force traffic to stop or slow to allow oncoming traffic to pass first, especially if a car is parked on the eastern side of the street.  If you went around turning right out of driveways on Nicholson looking only one way, you would be a safety problem, because you'd eventually hit another car head on, much less pedestrians or bikers on the bike trail.

Every driver in Houston looks left first when they are making a right hand turn.  The rare cautious and conscientious driver will look right just before pulling out into the intersection to check for pedestrians.  But the vast majority of drivers will only look to the right when they have begun to pull into traffic. 

1 person likes this

16 hours ago, Houston19514 said:

Thank you for that considered and thoughtful response to questions that have been raised.  And a big thanks for the link to the variance submittal.

A few things:

1- I'm not sure the fact that the other driveways were there before the trail is sufficient reason to deny a driveway to this lot.

2- Fair point, but it appears that the parking will be divided roughly evenly between Nicholson and Herkimer, so it will effectively be traffic from a 15K square foot medical office building.  Yes, surely more than a SFR, but if it complies with the code and deed restrictions...

On the linked plans, the setback from the trail appears to be well over 10 feet; more like 17 or 18 feet. I think you exaggerate the "downhill driveway from the second floor".  The "second floor" (which the plans call "first floor parking") is very little above grade at the Nicholson end of the building; the driveway coming out is at a very gentle grade. And, it seems that being slightly elevated should be a positive, as it will provide greater visibility from both points of view.

Is it standard practice to include a protest letter with the reasons for protest already stated?  (And note that the stated reason for protest has nothing to do with the driveway or garage entrance; it has to do with visibility at the visual triangle at 11th and the Nicholson bike path.

The google docs are from stopmedicalbuilding11th@gmail.com.  They have over 30 letters from residents and are sending people to speak at the planning commission meeting.  The commission is only considering a replat and zero setback on 11th.  They are not considering a curb cut.  The replat is a "shall pass" request.  The planning commission does not have discretion to deny a replat based on proposed uses.  It is just line drawing.  The planning commission loves to deny setback variances, especially if there is neighborhood opposition.  Bill Baldwin is now on the planning commission.  He was against the partial repeal of the dry zone because he was against too much commercial density from bars and restaurants in the Heights.  He could potentially be a squeaky wheel on the commission to get the variance denied.  

Finally, while I hate people who call out grammar on message boards, I have to say that the text of the variance application looks like it was outsourced to an engineer in Bangladesh who prepared it on a fifteen year old blackberry that had broken keys on the keyboard.  And if you are looking to sway people in the Heights, don't say that your intent is to enhance the area with a more "modern look".

On 5/8/2017 at 6:23 PM, Houston19514 said:

Thank you for that considered and thoughtful response to questions that have been raised.  And a big thanks for the link to the variance submittal.

A few things:

1- I'm not sure the fact that the other driveways were there before the trail is sufficient reason to deny a driveway to this lot.

2- Fair point, but it appears that the parking will be divided roughly evenly between Nicholson and Herkimer, so it will effectively be traffic from a 15K square foot medical office building.  Yes, surely more than a SFR, but if it complies with the code and deed restrictions...

On the linked plans, the setback from the trail appears to be well over 10 feet; more like 17 or 18 feet. I think you exaggerate the "downhill driveway from the second floor".  The "second floor" (which the plans call "first floor parking") is very little above grade at the Nicholson end of the building; the driveway coming out is at a very gentle grade. And, it seems that being slightly elevated should be a positive, as it will provide greater visibility from both points of view.

Is it standard practice to include a protest letter with the reasons for protest already stated?  (And note that the stated reason for protest has nothing to do with the driveway or garage entrance; it has to do with visibility at the visual triangle at 11th and the Nicholson bike path.

no deed restrictions likely on that lot.  as for the code question, i'm no traffic engineer, but is the ROW on Nicholson wide enough to handle the additional capacity?  what about Herkimer?  it is a narrower ROW.  Nicholson i think is 60', but part of that is occupied by the hike and bike trail.

i don't see any mention of a TIA yet, so likely the impact is unknown.  what is known is that 11th is a major thoroughfare, and it should be able to handle the traffic this will create (my guess is about 1120 ADT - 36.13*31) better than the narrow side streets.

The Variance hearing was scheduled for last week.  Anyone know the result?

On 5/18/2017 at 10:51 AM, Angostura said:

Didn't see it on the agenda. I assume it got deferred.

It's on the agenda for tomorrow. (Item 109)

1 person likes this

On 5/24/2017 at 10:50 AM, Angostura said:

It's on the agenda for tomorrow. (Item 109)

Deferred last meeting. Back on the agenda for Thurs.

Developer moved the driveway to 11th st. so that there will not be a driveway cutting across the bike path.