Word Of The Day

BayouCityGirl

depending on where I am I can change my accent. A little bit does slip occassionally. My personal fav. is def. Canadian! :)

here's a good laugh. Watch the "Enron" movie filmed in Canada and listen to how wannabe Texans who are Canadian speak like they are from the south. OMG it was hilarious listening to their "trying" accent! :P

I really don't see how you can find fault with the word "folk"

I don't find fault with the word, but I do fault the context in which it's being used. 'Folks' suggests an informal, casual, familiar relationship. One doubts if newscasters have such a relationship with hundreds of thousands of evacuees or storm victims.

Bank tellers who have the audacity to call me by my first name, rather than my title and surname also annoy me. There are times when formality is called for, and others when informality is permissable.

I resent that language is being stripped of its subtleties.

I don't find fault with the word, but I do fault the context in which it's being used. 'Folks' suggests an informal, casual, familiar relationship. One doubts if newscasters have such a relationship with hundreds of thousands of evacuees or storm victims.

Bank tellers who have the audacity to call me by my first name, rather than my title and surname also annoy me. There are times when formality is called for, and others when informality is permissable.

"Bank tellers who have the audacity to call me by my first name, rather than my title and surname also annoy me. There are times when formality is called for, and others when informality is permissable.

I resent that language is being stripped of its subtleties."

I could not agree more.

nmainguy bows to dbigtex.

B)

"Bank tellers who have the audacity to call me by my first name, rather than my title and surname also annoy me. There are times when formality is called for, and others when informality is permissable.

I resent that language is being stripped of its subtleties."

On my many recent trips to the Deep South for work, I've noticed an annoying habit of store clerks and restaurant servers to call people things names like darling, babe, and hun. Growing up in a rural part of Texas I've witnessed this before, but not with the regularity I see it in states to our east. I do find it annoying when the woman taking my drink and food order tells me "I'll have this right outt darlin'." We've never met, I am not your "darlin'" and I have no intent on ever becoming that. (Now if you have a cute brother in his late 20s/early-mid 30s who's single and likes guys then maybe we should chat B)).

Anyway, dbigtex summed up my feelings about the use of the word "folks." I have no problem with the word itself, just its context in certain situations.

On my many recent trips to the Deep South for work, I've noticed an annoying habit of store clerks and restaurant servers to call people things names like darling, babe, and hun. Growing up in a rural part of Texas I've witnessed this before, but not with the regularity I see it in states to our east. I do find it annoying when the woman taking my drink and food order tells me "I'll have this right outt darlin'." We've never met, I am not your "darlin'" and I have no intent on ever becoming that. (Now if you have a cute brother in his late 20s/early-mid 30s who's single and likes guys then maybe we should chat B)).

Anyway, dbigtex summed up my feelings about the use of the word "folks." I have no problem with the word itself, just its context in certain situations.

I only dislike the term "folks" because it is a favorite of Bill O'reilly. "I don't care what the elites think, I'm just looking out for the folks". Aaaah, I can sleep at night knowing 'ol Bill is looking out for me.

<_<

I always make it a point to correct them in a very stern voice. Especially when I'm talking to credit card companies, etc... on the phone. I haven't had to do it to one of these calls outsourced to India yet, but I'm interested to see what happens.

I chat it up with the people in India like "what time is it there?" (I think night when I call) but normally when I had to re-order "Direct Energy" service I had a guy from India who could barely speak English and I told the manager if I had a choice I would NOT use this service! But because they were cheaper I went with Direct Energy. I just got frustrated they got people on the phones who don't know how to speak english you cant understand them b/c their accent is too thick.

Archived