Are You Evacuating?

Parrothead

Gonna throw a rope around Rita, and ride her like a rented mule ! Looks like it may hit P.A. now or Anahuac. We're in Katy, so as long as I'm on the "clean side" of the storm, NO WORRIES ! Good Luck and God Bless everyone riding it out with me.

I rode out Katrina just north of New Orleans in my home town of Franklinton with my mom and dad, very scary with 130+ mile winds. I was on the Fire Dept there when I lived there and so I helped a lot with problems that arose in Franklinton. I am still debating here near the North West corner of the loop. I don

They were saying on Channel 2 News that there are a few people still hanging around on Galveston Island!

One guy was quoting as saying, "I want to stay to see what a Category 5 looks like." If that is not bravery then I don't know what is.

I am riding it out in northwest Harris County (Cypress, TX). Hopefully we'll be on the weak side.

Well, I made it up the road to Nacogdoches. Took 9 hours. Should be a 2.5 hour drive. Lots of interesting sights to see....fascinating to see the stuff that people bring along with them.

I left last night at midnight. I would have stayed put because of the traffic issues had I decided to leave today.

Where: In a 3-story warehouse/office next to Minute Maid Park. Will take pictures.

hooray for pictures! charging up my camera now as well...

building: lower story of a 4plex. since there was no wood left (and my landlord didn't bother to) i boarded up the windows with an old chifforobe that from ikea -- fancy!

i think everyone posting on this thread should be obligated to re-post after rita hits to say that they're ok and if they regret staying/leaving...

building: lower story of a 4plex. since there was no wood left (and my landlord didn't bother to) i boarded up the windows with an old chifforobe that from ikea -- fancy!

i think everyone posting on this thread should be obligated to re-post after rita hits to say that they're ok and if they regret staying/leaving...

Those of you taking pictures, be sure to post them here. There's a special section of the forum waiting for your snaps.

now that i think of it... whose responsibility is it to board up a rental property the owner or resident?

got to bed last night around 1:30 am. after moving everything inside our loft preparing for the storm. wife wakes me up crying and going hysterical saying we must leave. i told her to stop trippin' and let me sleep a little while longer. she finally gets me up about half an hour later, wake up my lil brother and the three of us head out to my mom's house off of i-10 and eldridge. we plan to go to my bro's house in dallas. watch news, dedide to wait for further info. finally decide to wait it out. we are staying here in west houston.

Where: Seventh floor of a crappy hotel with no elevator.

silly yank...they're not elevators, they're lifts!

:lol:

as for pics, i've got my digital rebel all charged up and ready for action and while i'm on my looting spree :unsure: i will be taking as many pics as i can.

now that i think of it... whose responsibility is it to board up a rental property the owner or resident?

Owner is responsible to secure property against damage. If any part of the property is damaged, it is their insurance that would pay. If any tenant property is damaged, renter's insurance will pay.

evacuated to austin

took two hours wednesday afternoon to get to 288 and the beltway. left there at 3:30 am, made it to austin by 2pm. took 10.5 hours, 180 miles, and 9 gallons of gas (no AC).

friend is a resident and is on call, so he will be riding it out at his home at 288 and beltway.

my folks left this morning at 3am, and still haven't made it to dallas (19 hours so far).

Plan "A" leave for a friend's house in Bastrop but decided it wasn't worth the traffic nightmare.

Plan "B" prepare the home then shelter at the office (a sturdier building) when things get nasty.

Now it looks like I might have to come up with plan "C" . . . which is stay at home, if it looks like RITA continues to swing eastward.

Good luck to all.

They were saying on Channel 2 News that there are a few people still hanging around on Galveston Island!

One guy was quoting as saying, "I want to stay to see what a Category 5 looks like." If that is not bravery then I don't know what is.

I am riding it out in northwest Harris County (Cypress, TX). Hopefully we'll be on the weak side.

Don't confuse bravery with stupidity. Even if Rita was a category 5, and it did happen to hit Galveston, that "brave" soul wouldn't be around afterward to tell anybody about it ! All he would get to do is tell St. Peter , "Holy Crap ! That wave was friggin HUGE ! " :lol:

We made it, finally!

Booked it to the northwest side...by Louetta. We were going to hunker down at home - we live about 13 miles from the bay, close to Hobby. But we started feeling uneazy about that, so boarded up, loaded supplies, water, food, kids, wife, and cat into the truck, and headed to a friends house on the northwest side. The normal 45 minute trip took us 4 hours, and that's cause we avoided the freeways and took the side streets.

My exodus strategy: Old Galveston Rd towards downtown. Turn north on Broadway, then catch Harrisburg west-bound. Took Wayside north-bound to Tidwell, and went west on Tidwell. Went North on Shepherd until we got to Stubner-Airline. That's when the gridlock started. Up to that point is was smooth sailing and I must say I was proud of my strategy. But From Stubner-Ariline all the way to Louetta took about 2.5 hours - normally a 15 minute travel.

But again, I dont complain being that if we took I-45 like we normally do....it would have taken - literally - 20 plus hours. Umbeleivable. It is utter chaos inside the city and outside, almost like a scene out of an Armageddon story.

But the important thing is that we made it. A friend of mine was on the freeways 19 hours, and was still in Houston. My sister-in-law and family was on the freeway 36 hours, and were still in Houston. Thankfully, both of them finally put it in reverse and met up with us here at our freinds house on Louetta, and we will hunker down here for the Hurricane. I feel more comfortable being 35 miles from the bay and not 13.

They were very thirsty, hungry, tired, and had no sleep. So were we - as we spent all energy boarding up our home, rushing it so that we too could quickly join the madness.

So here we are: 4 families on the northwest side of Houston, waiting for the Hurricane to hit.

Good luck to all fellow Houstonians and "see ya' on the other side"...

location yesterday: southeast side

location now: bellaire

location (hopefully) sometime tomorrow: somewhere in the hill country

what a horrifying time. we left yesterday morning for the hill country via alt-90. twelve hours later, only going about 40 miles, we headed back home on FM 1093 (westheimer) after noticing that things were only getting worse, and gas was dwindling. took only about 40 minutes to get home.

we saw so many people stranded...out of gas, overheated vehicles...

saw pets die, people getting sick, heat exhaustion.

I've been in Africa for awhile (Oh, I get around), and it's really strange, and a little bit scary, to see the news about Rita. Even here people are aware of the situation and ask what's going on. In a way I wish I were back in Houston. I was able to speak to a friend today who tried to evacuate but couldn't make it because of the traffic, but I haven't been able to get hold of some other friends so I'm just hoping for the best.

Good luck to everyone there.

Subdude

My mom came in Tuesday afternoon (from Dallas to Houston)...she left Houston yesterday at 6 AM...she got back into Dallas (taking backstreets) and filling at EVERY Gas station on the way...and got in at 3:30 AM this morning. She wasn't going to take chances on gas.

-this is what she told me when I called her to check up on where she was.

somehow some of this I don't believe that the gas stations would actually have gas.

I heard someone saying they took a GPS system and took the backways to Dallas and there was gas at gas stations as well. (on the radio)

My mom came in Tuesday afternoon (from Dallas to Houston)...she left Houston yesterday at 6 AM...she got back into Dallas (taking backstreets) and filling at EVERY Gas station on the way...and got in at 3:30 AM this morning. She wasn't going to take chances on gas.

-this is what she told me when I called her to check up on where she was.

somehow some of this I don't believe that the gas stations would actually have gas.

I heard someone saying they took a GPS system and took the backways to Dallas and there was gas at gas stations as well. (on the radio)

This doesn't really surprise me too much. Many people probably didn't have maps and had no idea how to navigate the smaller roads to get up to Dallas.

My sister told me this morning that one of her friends from Clear Lake went up to my parent's house yesterday. The last 15 miles, heading west along a two lane highway to the town where my parents live, took him from 10:30 PM last night to about 5:00 AM this morning. I can't imagine. Unfortunately the three people with Mom and Dad who are riding it out all drove up from Clear Lake to escape the storm. They are now all in the direct path of the center of the storm, and the latest NWS advisories are stating that they are in for 10-12 hours of hurricane force winds, and several hours of winds over 100 MPH. I almost ended up with them there, and am now somewhat glad I'm still in Alabama, but I'm also quite concerned as I don't know when I'll be able to get back to Houston, nor do I know when I'll be able to find out what's happened to my friends and family.

Archived