Houston Planning on Walkable Places

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 6:28 PM, BeerNut said:

Looks like they want to enlarge parking exempt area.

March meeting

parking.PNG

So are they wanting to expand it throughout Midtown? That doesn't seem like a big change at all. I would exempt all neighborhoods in the Loop. Either way this is pretty interesting because this is literally the tipping point change cities make when they are progressing to a new level of urbanism. There seems to be a more cohesive plan to future development. 

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

Midtown's a solid first step, I wonder if there's just an assumption that it will result in the least political backlash.

The other obvious option to me is to tie it to the transit corridors, though that would leave out areas that could benefit, like much of Montrose and the Washington corridor. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 9/29/2018 at 10:09 PM, EllenOlenska said:

I'm wondering why they don't extend it farther north to where the highway will be, and not where it is currently. Or am I somehow misreading the map?

Red is existing, not new. The measures were taken specifically to impact Midtown and EaDo.

This is the reply to the email I received...

xxxxx,

Thank you for your comments, I will be presenting the market based parking area to the Planning Commission for their consideration on October 11th, 900 Bagby, 2:30PM. hope to see you there.

*For an expedited review for Planning and Development, please send an email request between 12-3pm to PD.expeditedreview@houstontx.gov 

Hector Rodriguez Administration Manager

On 10/4/2018 at 7:58 AM, BeerNut said:

This is the reply to the email I received...

xxxxx,

Thank you for your comments, I will be presenting the market based parking area to the Planning Commission for their consideration on October 11th, 900 Bagby, 2:30PM. hope to see you there.

*For an expedited review for Planning and Development, please send an email request between 12-3pm to PD.expeditedreview@houstontx.gov 

Hector Rodriguez Administration Manager

Def keeping my attention all day. Are things like this ever streamed online?

Edited by j_cuevas713

• 3 months later...

I couldn't figure out where to place this but this is great of the COH. I've expressed many times how the Spring St. Taylor crossing is dangerous to pedestrians. I've also submitted countless complaints on 311. Good to see them getting the important data to make these intersections safer for pedestrians. 

“We need to re-address our design standards and start thinking at a policy level,” she said. “We have to think about the support that we’re providing for people and not blame people for incidents that are happening to them.” 

http://swamplot.com/transportation-buffs-are-staking-out-houstons-most-dangerous-intersections-to-better-understand-whats-wrong-with-them/2019-01-31/

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I couldn't figure out where to place this but this is great of the COH. I've expressed many times how the Spring St. Taylor crossing is dangerous to pedestrians. I've also submitted countless complaints on 311. Good to see them getting the important data to make these intersections safer for pedestrians. 

“We need to re-address our design standards and start thinking at a policy level,” she said. “We have to think about the support that we’re providing for people and not blame people for incidents that are happening to them.” 

http://swamplot.com/transportation-buffs-are-staking-out-houstons-most-dangerous-intersections-to-better-understand-whats-wrong-with-them/2019-01-31/

Completely agree. That crossing needs to be completely re-done. Very difficult to cross...and Houston Ave is another one too. I've witnessed two wrecks myself there!

• 3 months later...