Moving back to Houston....Can anyone suggest a cable/internet provider?

MiDTOWNeR

If you can, you should look into Gigamonster.  It's fiber internet, and their "30Mbps" plan for $39/mo has been giving me 100 Mbps up and down pretty consistently.  Additionally, they offer gigabit service for $99/mo.  The only problem is they appear to only be offered at new apartment buildings.  I don't know what their plan is for houses.

Comcast seemed ok, but I had issues with rates being raised.  If you go with Comcast, I would buy your own modem. You'll save money within 8 months not having to pay the equipment rental fee, and you won't have the xfinity hotspot in your home.

I can't say anything about AT&T's internet service - I had DSL from them for awhile but the phone lines were old in my building so I didn't get good service.

It will mostly depend on what is available where you are living.  

My current house didn't have any provider - I initially tried using a Verizon hot spot (got expensive and I hated worrying about how much data I was using) and OTA TV (which is very good if you don't need a lot of channels) I eventually went with Comcast Business (they buried a cable directly to my house from a couple blocks away).  Having business service means I pay more but I also get better service if I have issues (I also had to sign a 3yr contract)

Most of my neighbors have DirecTV antennas on their roof for TV service and use slow AT&T DSL for internet

I had AT&T U-Verse in my previous condo and hated it - speed was up and down and overall just slow

7 hours ago, cspwal said:

Comcast seemed ok, but I had issues with rates being raised.  If you go with Comcast, I would buy your own modem. You'll save money within 8 months not having to pay the equipment rental fee, and you won't have the xfinity hotspot in your home.

Owning your own equipment is definitely the way to go, assuming you're reasonably comfortable with setting up and maintaining a router as well as a modem. I concur with Wirecutter's recommendation of the Arris SB6183 for a cable modem.

I've been reasonably satisfied with Comcast's speed and reliability, but any particular vendor's quality of service can be highly variable depending on where you live. When I first got cable internet, it was via Time Warner and had 1.5Mb download speeds, which was blazing fast after having previously been on 56K dialup. Since then Comcast acquired Time Warner's Houston-area customer base, and after many semi-regular speed increases, I'm now at 200Mb, but I'm only paying slightly more than when I had TW.

Comcast has a tendency to slip questionable charges in, so you have to watch the bill like a hawk and be prepared to (politely) dispute anything that looks fishy. They will almost always remove such charges if you have a legitimate complaint (pro tip: you will get far better results with an in-person visit to one of their storefronts, as opposed to dealing with the often-clueless CSRs on the phone). You will get the best deals from them with a 2-year contract. 

AT&T's U-Verse speeds are much slower than Comcast's for similar pricing. I've heard good things about their Gigapower service but last I checked it wasn't available in my area. 

• 1 month later...

I have the best deal with Comcast for internet and AT&T U-Verse for TV (I haven't had cable for years until this month!). My neighborhood just got AT&T fiber enabled, so I may look into that soon. But yeah, all depends on where you land here.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Archived