San Jacinto Ordnance Depot

hajones

Anybody have any pictures of the old San Jacinto Ordnance Depot back when it was operational? We used to go all over that place back in the '60s and on up into the '70s before it was developed like now. There's still lots of ammo bunkers back there now. Used to do alot of hunting there too. Anybody that remembers? Or was stationed/worked there? It was still operated by the government up until the early '60s, I think. There's also been rumors since I can remember of underground facilities there, although I never saw any evidence of any.

• 2 months later...
Anybody have any pictures of the old San Jacinto Ordnance Depot back when it was operational? We used to go all over that place back in the '60s and on up into the '70s before it was developed like now. There's still lots of ammo bunkers back there now. Used to do alot of hunting there too. Anybody that remembers? Or was stationed/worked there? It was still operated by the government up until the early '60s, I think. There's also been rumors since I can remember of underground facilities there, although I never saw any evidence of any.

I had some old photos at one time from drag races there in 1968, 1969. There would be some great race cars trailered out there to race for cash. Very illegal, I guess, but they were "private" roads, not city or county roads. That created a jurristictional issue. Races went off & on for at least a year. Some agency finally shut it down, but I can't remember details.

• 4 weeks later...

My mom worked for the Commanding Officer of the SJOD during the war (WWII). The Army was still using Draft Horses at this facility and my mom bought one sometime during her employment and brought it home to Channelview. I don't remember much except her name was Dolly and she was white. The base might have been closed after the war but them along came the "Korean Conflict" as it was first known so the base stayed open. During the late 50's and early 60's the Army was still detonating bombs there. A siren would sound briefly then one would hear a distant BOOM, not unlike thunder. It finally closed in about 1963. There are referneces to this facility on the internet, but all are brief. It seems that there may still be some buried Phosgene and Mustard Gas bombs somewhere on the property. Public tours on a special railcar were conducted during the 50's...I was on one such tour when I was in Jr. High. It was located South of Market Street and East of Penn City Road and had its own dredged channel and dock facilities.

Go to your browser and type SAN JACINTO ORDNANCE DEPOT...that's how I found this site, which linked to the first post about SJOD.

• 2 months later...

I happened upon these posts re. SJOD while trying to research same. I lived on the Depot as a dependent Army "Brat" during 1955 - 1958. My father Lt. Col. William Steigerwalt was second in command under Col. J. O. Baker and the last officers there to transfer the post from regular Army to Corps of Engineers to non-military use. I lived there during grades 4 -7 and attended school in Channelview, Cloverleaf, and North Shore J.H. As one of the only kids on the depot....I had the run of it and,with my dad, and fished, hunted, biked and explored it ad infinitum. I see from Google Earth space photos that some of the buildings I knew are still there however the officer's homes (including ours) are gone. The main administration where Riverrat's mother would have worked appears to still be there. I have a copy of the origonal 1942 plans for the depot which are quite interesting. I would love to return and re-explore the place. Any comments and/or questions are welcome. The plans I have do indicate a few underground "igloos" for munition storage. No, I never heard of any chemical type items being burried on depot property but do know that many barge loads of bombs were taken into the Gulf and dumped. I was supposed to go along on one such trip but got sick and didn't go. That particular trip, the cargo aboard shifted, capsizing the barge and killing most or all aboard. I'd love to hear from anyone with interests re. SJOD.

I happened upon these posts re. SJOD while trying to research same. I lived on the Depot as a dependent Army "Brat" during 1955 - 1958. My father Lt. Col. William Steigerwalt was second in command under Col. J. O. Baker and the last officers there to transfer the post from regular Army to Corps of Engineers to non-military use. I lived there during grades 4 -7 and attended school in Channelview, Cloverleaf, and North Shore J.H. As one of the only kids on the depot....I had the run of it and,with my dad, and fished, hunted, biked and explored it ad infinitum. I see from Google Earth space photos that some of the buildings I knew are still there however the officer's homes (including ours) are gone. The main administration where Riverrat's mother would have worked appears to still be there. I have a copy of the origonal 1942 plans for the depot which are quite interesting. I would love to return and re-explore the place. Any comments and/or questions are welcome. The plans I have do indicate a few underground "igloos" for munition storage. No, I never heard of any chemical type items being burried on depot property but do know that many barge loads of bombs were taken into the Gulf and dumped. I was supposed to go along on one such trip but got sick and didn't go. That particular trip, the cargo aboard shifted, capsizing the barge and killing most or all aboard. I'd love to hear from anyone with interests re. SJOD.

I'd love to see the plans you have. Can you post pictures here?

Reply: I would be more than happy to share the plans with you but I don't exactly know how to get their approx. 3' by 4' size and the very small detail onto the internet. Perhaps I could have a business that does blueprints or the like copy it and I'd mail you a copy. Any ideas?

Reply: I would be more than happy to share the plans with you but I don't exactly know how to get their approx. 3' by 4' size and the very small detail onto the internet. Perhaps I could have a business that does blueprints or the like copy it and I'd mail you a copy. Any ideas?

Some Kinkos shops will do that sort of thing. I had the one in West U scan a painting I owned onto a CDROM for me. It cost like $30, though, so I wouldn't expect you to do that. If you had a digital camera you could just take a picture of it.

I drive through there all the time. You can still go inside some of the ammo bunkers and drive aroung some of the roads.

not too long ago, there was a old firestation for sale on the property. It was on Bomford st. and was $225,000 The ad said it was could withstand a direct hit by a 500 lb bomb.

SOmeone told me that they kept German POW's there?

I will try and find the digital pictures and let people know and email them to anyone who wants them.

I would also like to have copies of the "plans" that you have. If you have a good digital camera, you could take close up pictures of sections of them and send them via email.

thanks, jason

I drive through there all the time. You can still go inside some of the ammo bunkers and drive aroung some of the roads.

not too long ago, there was a old firestation for sale on the property. It was on Bomford st. and was $225,000 The ad said it was could withstand a direct hit by a 500 lb bomb.

SOmeone told me that they kept German POW's there?

I will try and find the digital pictures and let people know and email them to anyone who wants them.

I would also like to have copies of the "plans" that you have. If you have a good digital camera, you could take close up pictures of sections of them and send them via email.

thanks, jason

What's the best way to get in there? Are there gates or anything that would prevent access?

By the way, where did you see the ad? You've got me curious.

What's the best way to get in there? Are there gates or anything that would prevent access?

By the way, where did you see the ad? You've got me curious.

Just drive down Appelt Dr (Off Market and Jacinto Port Blvd.) There are two bunker on Appelt Dr. that you can get too easy as they are just yards off the road. The other are on Privet property, you can still get to them but at the risk of confrontation.

Take a look at page 497-498 on the Houston Key map It shows the unnamed roads, Appelt Dr., and a road called Sundial

I also found some old houston road maps online from 1952 that showed the property of SJOD from Penn City Road all the way to the San Jacinto River

I aslo found a map from 1961 and the SJOD name was gone.

If you drive down Jacinto Port BLvd. you can see gates that block off access to the unnamed roads that had the Bunkers o eaither side on them.

I will try to find the pictures I have in the next few day and send them via email to anyone who wants them.

Thanks, Jason Mcclure

I just got back from Jacintoport...hadn't read your response yet, and missed Appelt. All I saw was a series of small overgrown paths blocked off by gates. I also drove by the fire station that you'd mentioned; it might've already sold and looked like it was being used as part of an adjacent trucking operation. Where and how long ago did you see the for-sale ad?

It was about year ago i saw it for sale. I was reading an old Houston Chronical artical refering to the old firehouse. It was owned buy a guy who was planing on turning it into a meusume. I guess he put it up for sale.

Im going to check Harris County appraisal district to find some info on it.

Appelt is kind of easy to miss just look at a map before you go out there again.

ill let everyone know when i get more pictures.

thanks

go to www.hcad.org and serch account number 1167660000006. I think this is the firehouse (Built in 1942) Not positive on the address but I think it correct.

• 2 years later...
  • 8 years later...

Archived