Super Bowl LI

HoustonMidtown

we went on Sunday morning. waited about 1.5 hours to ride the "Future Flight" virtual reality ride. It was really cool, but obviously takes up a lot of your time. Other than that we just wandered and ate at one of the food trucks. Didn't make the NFL Experience.

Also on Friday I was checking out the mockup of the James Webb telescope and asked a guy looking at it to take a pic of me and my son. Turns out he was the VP of Space Systems for Northrop Grumman so we chatted for a while. He was there for some event with NASA dignitaries. James Webb is coming to JSC in a few weeks because we have the only thermal-vacuum chamber large enough to test it.

1-IMG_1394.JPG

1-IMG_1419.JPG

1-IMG_1395.JPG

We went there yesterday - walked down Dallas because it is so nice after the remake - and there's no entrance from Dallas! We had to walk through the Marlowe parking lot and along a freshly repaved sidewalk that was in disrepair before.  Not a good look, but I do understand why, as the entrance took up a full block

A few more pics from last night - the water show held at 51 minutes past the hour is pretty cool - it's a holographic display against a big spray of water in the pond which then moves up to the wall of the Marriott

Animal Planet was setting up for Puppy Bowl which will be broadcast Sunday

32586910146_c61c4b46fb_h.jpg31815325423_aaf3230218_b.jpg31783891784_36b7f047ba_h.jpg

31783781944_6c90c66825_b.jpg

31783712744_cd64f0363b_h.jpg32504502961_e7d76b5699_b.jpg32627048975_b9f09027b6_h.jpg32504500411_369464ba3c_b.jpg32504492951_4ca1827552_b.jpg

2 hours ago, cspwal said:

Wait wait wait - the puppy bowl is going to be here????

:o:D

Yep - live from Houston !!

Here's a blurb from their website:

Television's original adoption extravaganza is back and furrier than ever as the world's cutest sporting event returns to Animal Planet for PUPPY BOWL XIII on Sunday, February 5 from 3-5 PM ET/PT with two hours of fuzzy faces, sloppy kisses and puppy penalties.

I had a thought while sipping my nth beer tonight - isn't there a city ordinance against signs on buildings in downtown?  I know there's an exception for hotels, but what about the sign on the Hess building?  Isn't that in violation of the ordinance?  And for that matter, wrapping the metro rail trains is advertising something too right?  Or am I interpreting these things wrong

I'm sure everything is above board, I'm just curious if I got all that right 

The national press is eating up the new hotel and swimming pool and in general are gushing over Houston. Hopefully this might finally be a turning point regarding Houston's national image.

Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-super-bowl-host-city-houston-travel-0131-20170122-story.html

NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/business/the-super-bowl-returns-to-a-transformed-houston.html

23 minutes ago, 102IAHexpress said:

The national press is eating up the new hotel and swimming pool and in general are gushing over Houston. Hopefully this might finally be a turning point regarding Houston's national image.

Chicago Tribune

http://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/travel/sc-super-bowl-host-city-houston-travel-0131-20170122-story.html

NY Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/01/24/business/the-super-bowl-returns-to-a-transformed-houston.html

Even more so, let's hope it might be a turning point regarding Houstonians' self-image, starting with all the city's media and of course HAIFers.

Was funny reading the press back in '04.  Quotes that I remember:

1. "Houston's contribution to the architectural world is the Strip Mall." 

2. "...Houston's Beauty Deficit..."

3. "Houston is a suburb masquerading as a city."

4.  and plenty of stuff about strip clubs and billboards. 

Much of it was a bit harsh.   

On 1/31/2017 at 6:56 PM, skwatra said:

Saw one, too.

Have y'all heard passing comments by visitors? I thought I heard someone say they thought it was a cool city, but I'm not for certain I heard correctly.

I'm curious if we have it again in 10 years where they'll have the pre-week festivities. Really hoping all the blocks they used this year will be occupied by buildings by then.

Lastly, nice chron article on the opinions of some:

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Super-Bowl-regulars-give-Houston-high-marks-as-10908871.php?t=20cb3e0094438d9cbb&cmpid=twitter-premium

3 hours ago, lockmat said:

Have y'all heard passing comments by visitors? I thought I heard someone say they thought it was a cool city, but I'm not for certain I heard correctly.

Brief encounter with Falcons fans from Atlanta: unprompted, without having been asked what they thought of Houston... "your city is awesome.  Having an amazing time."

I spoke with tons of visitors during my 4 volunteer shifts - everyone was in awe of Houston and the party we threw....many people who had been to the previous Houston Super Bowl said they couldn't believe it was the same city.  

The most asked question was "how much does it cost to...."  People couldn't believe everything (except the NFL experience) was free.

Well done Houston !!

Archived