How Long Houston's Patience?

volvo99

With recent assessments that 30%-50% of evacuees at the GRB and Astrodome are needing medical care for drug and alcohol withdrawal, and mass student fights breaking out between local and evacuee students in local high schools, and with greater New Orleans months away from functioning, how patient can Houstonians be with thousands of unscheduled visitors making their way in the city?

Can the transportation, medical care, and educational infrastructure keep up?

With recent assessments that 30%-50% of evacuees at the GRB and Astrodome are needing medical care for drug and alcohol withdrawal, and mass student fights breaking out between local and evacuee students in local high schools, and with greater New Orleans months away from functioning, how patient can Houstonians be with thousands of unscheduled visitors making their way in the city?

Can the transportation, medical care, and educational infrastructure keep up?

We will keep up because we have to. Houston always does. 30-50% in withdrawl? Sounds a little high. What's your source on that? Can't be too accurate if they can't provide a narrower range than 30-50%. And there was one fight that was totally blown out of proportion by our sensationalist local media.

We will keep up because we have to. Houston always does. 30-50% in withdrawl? Sounds a little high. What's your source on that? Can't be too accurate if they can't provide a narrower range than 30-50%. And there was one fight that was totally blown out of proportion by our sensationalist local media.

Quoted from the 09/15/05 Houston Chron

Read here

In any case, I'm sure the sensationalist nature of Houston local media, plus all the doomsday predictions from other forums will strive to provide "proof" that this is as much a Houston disaster as a New Orleans one.

My patience is wearing thin with all these people coming into my place of business wanting something for free because they are from Louisana

R-O-T-F-L!!!!

Seriously though, as a former Houstonian, I don't think locals have an issue with honest people making a good faith effort to get their lives back in order. However, I do think patience will wear out soon with those who couldn't make it in NOLA and are going to be dependant on public assistance long term. It is not like Houston didn't have a major drug and underinsured problem already; this might be the wave to topple the city's already fragile indigent care system.

Archived