KPRC Reports Red Cross Debit Card Abuse

Jeebus

My brother lives in the Galleria area and he said he saw some people buying $500 purses with the Debit card at the Galleria. I started reading this post and then kinda skipped/skimmed the whole population something or rather chart...(sorry early here) but one lady at the shelter was mad money was used in this manner as well. But I say if they go broke over buying luxery vs. necessaities that is not our fault. They had a choice what to do with this card and they decided to spend it in that manner. So when they have no rent money they DO have a beautiful watch or purse to show off. So when someone asked, "Where'd you get it?" they can probably say, "I lost my entire life in a hurricane but I got this beautiful bracelet"

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"I'm guessing"? well...there's another baseless conclusion.

B)

You're right. It is a baseless conclusion. I just made those two reasons up. They have no logical base from which they were concieved. :rolleyes: Can you provide a logical alternative since my two reasons a completely baseless in your opinion?

Please.. Enlighten us all.

But I say if they go broke over buying luxery vs. necessaities that is not our fault. They had a choice what to do with this card and they decided to spend it in that manner. So when they have no rent money they DO have a beautiful watch or purse to show off. So when someone asked, "Where'd you get it?" they can probably say, "I lost my entire life in a hurricane but I got this beautiful bracelet"

true enough, they'll be pawning that stuff really soon if that is all that's left of their little piece of plastic...although i am sure some who sees this would rather the money go to someone who would buy something they needed...

This has never been a case of defending extravagant or unauthorized purchases with aid money. A percentage of every group will always do that, just as a percentage of businessmen will always find a way to rip off the consumer or government, rather than earn an honest living. Most of the posts in "defense" of this practice have sought to clarify that this is a small group, not "most" or "all", as some posts have carelessly implied or stated.

Additionally, many have also pointed out that there are accomplises in this matter, namely, the businesses that sell the unapproved goods.

Finally, there is the issue of how to stop the unapproved purchases without causing more delay and red tape to those who desparately need this aid. I don't think anyone has answered that question. Even FEMA stopped the debit card distribution because it took more employees to distribute the cards than the old way of direct deposit or checks.

I am curious to see if the outrage over handbag purchases will continue when the real theft begins...big companies grabbing multimillion dollar contracts for reconstruction that use fancy accounting to effectively "steal" the money, similar to Halliburton's unaccounted billions in overcharges to the US government. For economies of scale, this type of theft hurts the taxpayer far more than a handbag or a carton of smokes.

I am curious to see if the outrage over handbag purchases will continue when the real theft begins...big companies grabbing multimillion dollar contracts for reconstruction that use fancy accounting to effectively "steal" the money, similar to Halliburton's unaccounted billions in overcharges to the US government.  For economies of scale, this type of theft hurts the taxpayer far more than a handbag or a carton of smokes.

I agree, but I'm still feel that there are people making excuses for these few and I find it frustrating. I'll give a very glorified example:

Celine Dion Crying .WMV

Note the part about her wanting us to not care about those who are stealing. Is this acceptable?

Whoa, Jeebus! If you want me to comment on this issue, you'll have to give me a quote from someone whose opinion matters, like maybe yours.

What Celine Dion, Toby Keith, Kanye West, The Dixie Chicks, Susan Sarandon, Tim Robbins and Charlton Heston care about anything that happens in the world, mean nothing to me, as they are the bablings of those who are detached from reality.

Besides, Celine Dion's music sucks. B)

You're right. It is a baseless conclusion. I just made those two reasons up. They have no logical base from which they were concieved. :rolleyes: Can you provide a logical alternative since my two reasons a completely baseless in your opinion?

Please.. Enlighten us all.

"Can you provide a logical alternative since my two reasons a completely baseless in your opinion?"

Yes.

"Please.. Enlighten us all."

No.

>>Probably the ones used to hard work are the ones being careful with the money and the ones used to picking up a check from somewhere other than an employer are the ones wasting it. Easy come, easy go.

Have not posted in a while. I have been on my shopping spree at the Galleria 4 with my Red Cross GOLD Card!!!!

I got me some Burberry threads and a pair of Orvis fly-fishing waders. Next storm I'm going to be stylin.

Someone should open a "I sold it on Ebay" store near the Dome.

what can I say.. I was right two weeks ago....

get a clue libs.

>>Probably the ones used to hard work are the ones being careful with the money and the ones used to picking up a check from somewhere other than an employer are the ones wasting it. Easy come, easy go.

Have not posted in a while. I have been on my shopping spree at the Galleria 4 with my Red Cross GOLD Card!!!!

I got me some Burberry threads and a pair of Orvis fly-fishing waders. Next storm I'm going to be stylin.

Someone should open a "I sold it on Ebay" store near the Dome.

what can I say..  I was right two weeks ago....

get a clue libs.

Oh goody. saigon has slithered out from under it's rock to throw another lame-ass insult to Liberals. There are no red Cross gold cards. So you were wrong two weeks ago and you are wrong now. Now slither on back under your rock and don't come out until you can behave.

[Kids...what are ya gonna do?]

B)

>Hey Saigon, what are you wearing right now? ;)

"Tell him what he's wearing Bob!"

Like most young NOLA males, Saigon is wearing a rhinestone studded speedo by Jean Paul Gaultier, an organic cotton wife beater by Donatello Versace, and cowboy boots by Justin.

Saigon was smart enough to purchase these threads on his Red Cross GOLD Card. Doing this allowed Saigon to earn double flyer miles which he will cash in once his big check government check for his shotgun house in NOLA comes in. The Red Cross GOLD Card also gives you the NOLA discount at over 1500 participating Houston retailers. Just tell them Ray Nagin sent ya!

The American Red Cross Card: Don't leave the Dome without it.

..I want a Red Cross Gold card. What do I have to do to earn one? Maybe they're exclusive like the AmEx Black Cards? You know, you have to spend a certain amount on b.s. like cigs & 40's before you qualify? :P

Hey nmainguy: this post was a joke. Please don't try to accuse me of claiming that I really think there is a Red Cross Gold card program too! ha-ha! :lol:

Oh really? Where were "these guys" from? Just curious since so many statements like that come from ill-informed posters who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

Well, they *could* have been living in a shelter, but they had a really expensive car.

You assuming they *were* living in a shelter isn't any better or worse than my assuming that they *weren't* living in a shelter, except of course for the fact that I was there and you weren't, and there is also the simple fact that the vast majority of transplants are not living in shelters.

>>An owner can refuse any customer.

What makes you think this girl is the owner?

Why is she being portrayed as the bad guy?

I'm sure if she did turn down that persons card then she would be called a racist.

She did the right thing by accepting it as payment and did the right thing by going on the news.

I know its going to break some bleeding hearts, but there are some bad people out there that will spend your donations in an inappropriate manner.

but then again.... maybe he just needed a pick-me-up.

Ya know.... he left his bling in Nawlins!

• The title was changed to KPRC Reports Red Cross Debit Card Abuse
  • The topic was unlocked

Archived