KPRC Reports Red Cross Debit Card Abuse

Jeebus

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also, contrary to what you probably think Jeebus, I think the debit cards are the one shining moment for FEMA right now. It's the one thing they did right this time around. Although you take issue with the way an insignificant number of people are using them, at least this time FEMA is getting money into the hands of the people who need it. Do a google search, reports say that over 31 million FEMA dollars was sent to Miami-Dade county residents after Francis after NOAA stated the county didn't even get hurricaine force winds.

That's 31 million dollars worth of fraud, how much of that was done by African Americans. How many African Americans even live in Miami-Dade county?

No no no no no no no no no no. I NEVER said anything about FEMA cards. I was speaking only of Red Cross cards.

But, since you bring it up, I would be even more outraged to see my tax dollars abused over things like $250.00 braclets, $800.00 coats, $40.00 worth of cigarettes, or any unsaid amount on alcohol. But I'm sure if it happened with the Red Cross cards, it will surely happen with the FEMA cards too.

Jeebus. Are you implying you partake in the devil's weed? :o What happens when you run for president and the contents of this thread are reported on 60 minutes? :D

If I ever ran for anything, and I was asked - I'll be the first to admit to everything I've done. I can't understand why politicians would rather take the chance on their dirt never airing rather than squashing it up front.

And no, I don't currently partake in the mara-ja-wana. I get drug tested here at work randomly, so I'd rather have a paycheck, than a buzz.

If I ever ran for anything, and I was asked - I'll be the first to admit to everything I've done. I can't understand why politicians would rather take the chance on their dirt never airing rather than squashing it up front.

And no, I don't currently partake in the mara-ja-wana. I get drug tested here at work randomly, so I'd rather have a paycheck, than a buzz.

Off subject a little bit. Here is a little rant on "random" testing. When I took a statistics class the professor used this as an example. "You randomly drug test a population. Given that this population DOES NOT use drugs at a rate of 95% and the test itself has a failure rate of 5% what percentage of tests would yield a false-postive? Answer: 50%. Of course re-testing drops the failure rate quite a bit. The prof had a bit of an agenda but he kept an otherwise boring course interesting.

FWIW, there is a liquor store at the corner of Murworth and Main, right next to Timmy Chan's.

I think I'll go buy some lushes a drink today.

Kinda reminds me of watching the flood waters move into my town home during Allision. 

First thing I said to my wife was "where's the shot glass?  we are going to need it".

HAHAHA - that's EXACTLY what we did as well - sat on the steps and killed a bottle.

This thread has turned into some funny ____. :lol:

Fact is though, the Red Cross and FEMA state that the funds should not be used on tobacco or alcohol. There are no other restrictions. To say that victims can only buy cut rate clothing would be to say they have to spend the money at WalMart. Maybe some of these victims have some taste. They should not be punished for having good taste, should they?

QUOTE(Jeebus @ Wednesday, September 14th, 2005 @ 10:09am)

The difference is that you probably weren't chronically getting your "drink on" everyday prior to Katrina, as they most likely were.

Jeebus is an absolute master at sweeping statements.

B)

I'm criticized the same was the Jeebus is. So I guess that I'm also a master at sweeping statements.

Ok this topic has just degenerated into spamming.

Getting back on track.

"That's 31 million dollars worth of fraud, how much of that was done by African Americans. How many African Americans even live in Miami-Dade county?"

As of the last census 457,214. That is a little over 20%. I think whites are around the same percentage.

So a bunch of taxpayer money has been wasted on jewelry, expensive clothes, shoes, purses, Escalades etc, ? Our government does this on a much larger scale and we gripe so why not a little griping when we see it in our own city? In their defense, I suppose it is tempting to go crazy when you suddenly have a "large" quantity of money at one time when you're not used to it, especially if you didn't earn it.

Probably the ones used to hard work are the ones being careful with the money and the ones used to picking up a check from somewhere other than an employer are the ones wasting it. Easy come, easy go.

I just hope that, out of the 200,000 (a Houston City Councilperson's numbers as of yesterday) here in various hotels, shelters, apartments and houses from New Orleans, the vast majority are good, hard-working people. The fear that many will bring our city down in some ways is legitimate and I don't think anyone expressing such a fear should be attacked as being a racist. Realist is more accurate.

You know, if I had lost EVERYTHING, and had been evacuated from my home with no clear timeframe if and when I could ever return, was living in a crowded, noisy shelter with constant noise and distractions everywhere, no privacy, didn't know STILL where some of my family members were, was a little frustrated because I couldn't get any money from my local bank account, was tired of dealing with insurance agents and other government types, wearing used, ill-fitting clothing, eating food I wasn't used to, and someone gave me $2000.00, I MIGHT think going over to a local liquor store to buy some hooch was a good way to mellow out for a while, and hopefully the residents of the community where I was staying, would be sympathetic and compassionate enough to understand this desire. No, it's not a basic need, and maybe it's not right that I spend my government's money this way, but at the time, it might seem like a good idea.

Nah, these guys weren't from a shelter...they were doing ok for themselves, that's for sure.

Not everyone from NOLA is living in a shelter, you know.

I think worst thing is that there are some here that want to defend those who have been caught abusing charity. I'm guessing this because one of two reasons:

1. They think that themselves would be guilty of committing the same abuse if in a similar situation.

2. They are so forgiving that they can include charity abuse in their scope of forgivable actions.

Either way, could either of these two answers be considered viable excuses for those who are okay with charity abuse behavior?

Nah, these guys weren't from a shelter...they were doing ok for themselves, that's for sure.

Not everyone from NOLA is living in a shelter, you know.

Oh really? Where were "these guys" from? Just curious since so many statements like that come from ill-informed posters who don't have a clue what they are talking about.

I think worst thing is that there are some here that want to defend those who have been caught abusing charity. I'm guessing this because one of two reasons:

1. They think that themselves would be guilty of committing the same abuse if in a similar situation.

2. They are so forgiving that they can include charity abuse in their scope of forgivable actions.

Either way, could either of these two answers be considered viable excuses for those who are okay with charity abuse behavior?

"I'm guessing"? well...there's another baseless conclusion.

B)

Archived