Westbury Square Developments

Note to musicman.

The biggest argument we have right now against mandatory for everyone is the original owners who have never paid and now can't afford to pay. Plus how do you handle rental property. It's an adventure as you can image. Thanks for any input you can give.

when we updated ours, the board decided to be more realistic and only address deed restrictions. "all" you had to do was convince the residents how restrictions would help maintain the characters of the neighborhood. no businesses, no condos, wider side setbacks (we went from 5 to 10 ft.). of course it was a big "all" but it didn't cost the residents a cent. As you know for yrly dues, the percentage of residents who pay vs. total households is probably not a large number in a hood the size of westbury. realistically making it mandatory won't be possible in an old neighborhood. as for rental properties. you have to contact the owner and mail them the info. I ended up doing quite a few of those for people on my street.

Thanks very much for the current scoop on the owners, and why things are held up. Fascinating. Thanks too for all the excellent pictures. It is good that what is left is being documented.

For reference, what is left of the fountain in the pictures is in the original location, and the tile you refer to was put in when the curved building was put in. In the beginning there were a series of outdoor booths there, around that side of the fountain, and when they would have their seasonal sales, the merchants would go out there, around that side of the fountain, sort of like a flea market..the whole space was a vacant field, behind that, out to Chimney Rock, for many years, before the apartments were built..

The news about the Willow Waterhole park going in so close is very exciting. i only hope something goes into that space where the Square once stood that will evoke that spirit somehow. It's not likely, but it would sure establish Westbury's sense of history in a way that no other changes could do.. I only hope it remains Westbury square somehow... if not, the Historical continuity of the area is irreparably damaged..

Thanks again everyone..

stu

If the owners of the Centerette are in Mexico and refuse to clean up or sell the property why does the city not sieze it and sell it at auction because of the numerous code violations of things like junk cars littering the lot, junk school bus parking, no kind of control of who squats in the property, etc?

I think the side that faces Cedarhurst can be home to some sort of business. No one would have figured a Discount Tire on that street would pop up and do so well. A doughnut shop or a pub where people in the area can come and socialize would be the best thing for that area. I do not mean like a night club that attracts crime but more like a place where regulars go to hang out for a few hours. The Exxon should just be demolished since traffic on Bellfort moves so fast no one would stop to fuel up there. That corner is best suited for a business that serves this community like a dry cleaners for example. The shops next to the AutoZone have the same problem of traffic moving by too fast. Maybe they should just demolish the everything but the Centerette sign and put an Applebees in there. I dunno.

Westbury Square should be saved from demolition just because it is so unique and historic. I think the best idea with that is to do what they did to the Jefferson Davis Hospital near downtown. That place was in ruins for decades and they recently renovated it to house artists at a reasonable rent. We should do the same. If not artists then senior citizens or something. They could make use of the vast parking lot in the western end and construct more buildings that are much like the ones that once existed. Leave a few spaces open for light retail in the future if needed. Just do that and have some tax exempt entity be in charge of the whole thing so it does not end up a slum as do many properties run by for profit groups that just care about a buck.

If the owners of the Centerette are in Mexico and refuse to clean up or sell the property why does the city not sieze it and sell it at auction because of the numerous code violations of things like junk cars littering the lot, junk school bus parking, no kind of control of who squats in the property, etc?

this is a BIG paroblem all over town. the neighborhood protection group just isn't enforcing city ordinances concerning junk cars and heavy trash.

To Stu--

Willow Waterhole is located between S. Willow and S. Main east of Chimney Rock. It will not be where Westbury Square is. It is a long term project of Harris County Flood Control District. If you're interested in more information the web site is.....http://www.wwgc.org/

As far as the future of Westbury Square and the name. Until we can put together a Master Plan I don't know that the name has even been considered. One thing that might hinder this is whether the current property owner claims rights to the name as being trademarked or something and he/they own it.

To LarryDallas--

Musicman is correct. The City of Houston neighborhood protection division is basically hog tied when it comes to derelict properties and their owners. There are properties that the City has condemned and even has court backing on, but the owners claim they aren't being treated fairly so they drag it out in mediation. A perfect example of this is an apartment/condo complex just west of Fondren and W. Airport. The complex had 2 buildings burn to the ground. The owner abandoned it and the city seized it. Then the owner said he wasn't getting treated fairlyso the city gave him a fair deal per the courts. They scheduled a demolition date. That was last year sometime. The owner has taken the city back to mediation and they have no choice in the matter. So the complex sits empty, the wiring stripped by homeless, drug dealers and prostitutes have set up crack houses. The police are afraid to go in because of the inherent dangers. So it sits.

The Centerette is functional and has businesses taking place in it. The junk stuff is from one area of it. The City has fought it, but alas the owners keep fighting back. Some people have deeper pockets than sense.

I agree about the Exxon station, but when you've got an owner who is considered to be a hero within a community (Mr. Gaddi) and no one wants to challenge him outside the Indo-Paki community because it will be perceived as politically incorrect. Stuff sits and is an eyesore. Until Anne Clutterbuck and M.J. Khan take him to task it will sit.

Structurally Westbury Square is not stable enough to salvage. A lot of folks would love to try and save it, but it would be foolish to spend money trying to make it workable. Unlike Old Jeff Davis which was structurally sound and a wise investment. Westbury Square is wood frame and lots of wood on the exterior. Plus there is a huge amount of physical damage. You need to walk through it on all sides to appreciate how bad it is.

To All Westbury Square Readers--

CVS is actually interested in helping us out, but landowners are balking at helping. CVS wants to purchase the corner of W. Bellfort and Chimney Rock where part of the Centerette, Pizza Hut and Auto Zone are. They want to raze those buildings and build a new store there. But that's a matter of getting 3 landowners involved. I've talked to PetsMart and they want to build a store in the area, but there's no place feasible unless land is freed by demolition. There is also a move to get a Harris County Library in the area. But again no place to put it just yet. There is a lot of potential, but it's a matter of dealing with absentee landlords, slum lords, and finally Weingartens realty. I guarantee if Barnes & Nobles wanted to build a store in the place of 99 cent only our friends at Weingarten Realty would tear down 1/2 of westbury to accomodate them. (Sorry just ranting because of the mess being created in River Oaks)

I grew up across main street near Hillcroft and remember the Square but didn't realize the impact as a kid....

the bottom line was the area got rough...I remember the taco bell on chimney rock where it was nothing but a place to be robbed at...the strip center that used to be behind it was always vacant

the apartments never did much for the area and when people began running to Sugar Land things never recovered in the area...but when you cross bellfort though it's still nice and the homes have held up well...great access to the loop and anywhere in Houston.

I lived on Arboles street in Wesbury from 1958 till 1977 (At least my family did). I rememer watching them pave Hillcroft, hearing cows at night across Hillcroft, and watching the lights from the train from Arboles street, when there were few houses between that street and Main. I used to play on the ruins of the monorail that was near the corner of Fondren and Main. I remember "wolf corner" and the last of the red wolves, and the blue light cemetary (neither one are in westbury).

Westbury Square was great in the 1960s. I remember buying posters from concerts at the Fillmore in San Francisco at Cargo Houstons, and Electric Paisley was my favorite shop. I was a blacklight artist for a number of years. I made sand candles with wax from the candle shop and scents from the "scent shop"- whose name I forget.

I recently added a discussion in wikopedia on westbury square. It is interesting to note that the New Urbanists are now espousing westbury square type designs even in houston, and claiming to be the first to advocate pedestrian friendly cities inspired by Italy, and townhouses. The square was a good 40 years before its time.

I remember the parking lot that was in a big hole, and I heard as a child that there was going to be a lake on the east side of the square. Does anyone know anything about this?

• 3 weeks later...

I found an old post-card of Westbury Square with a dozen pictures of its hey-day. I wasn't in Houston at the time, but it definitely looks like a place I'd like to visit! I live near there now, and I can see thorough the tattered remains that it sure was magical at one time...

post-3942-1178676988.jpg

• 1 year later...
The owner was in jail for tax evasion several years ago. He's a well known slum lord that owns a lot of property in Houston, all of it run-down. I dealt with him briefly in the 90's over a high rise he owned that was in very bad condition. He's a MAJOR asshole that does not care about his properties or tenants. Until the City of Houston grows some balls and takes over neglected properties like this I'm afraid nothing can be done. Unfortunately, I don't see that happening.

I will say he was not single handily responsible for the WS demise. A group out of NYC owned the square for a while in the late 70's, early 80's and that's when the neglect started and the place began to deteriorate.

I agree, the City needs to grow a pair. Since however they are unreliable as I found out, even at the council level, there are probably some things that we can do.

Other more knowledgeable people can jump in if I'm mistaken about this, but I think in the last several years there have been some anti-graffiti rules put in place where citizens can call 311 and report graffiti. Then the city contacts the owner of the property and said owner has a certain time frame to clean it up, and if they don't the city puts industrial grey paint on the walls in violation. This might be a start at least in terms of getting the city's attention.

Again, the problem with Westbury Square is that the owner has no desire to fix the place up. I've lived in Westbury since 1994. The Westbury Civic Club and COH have been working to get the problem fixed. The problem is the absentee owner. There's more to the story about the current owner but I won't type it in public forums because who knows who reads these things.

Last year before Ike the COH gave the guy 30 days to fix up the property. There was a public hearing where I believe all member of City Council and the Mayor and if I recall about 20 folks from Westbury showed up and the owner was told fix it or we will. Then Ike hit.

I drive by the square 2x a day as I have for the past 14 years. I've seen it go from a mess to a bigger mess.

There are some plans on paper to bulldoze the square and the shopping center w/99 cent only. The discussions included the following.

1. Building a Harris County Library on the site.

2. Building a new fire station to replace the one on Chimney Rock.

3. Build a small police storefront

4. HEB has wanted to build a large format store since they closed the Pantry back in the late 90's (now 99 cent only). They are still interested.

5. Build some combination retail/loft style apartments or condos.

6. Tie Home Depot into a shopping village.

7. Petsmart and Petco have both expressed a desire to have a store in the area. Ideal location.

I don't remember the rest of the plans that were discussed, but all that needs to happen is bulldoze the square and progress can happen.

There are plans there, we just have to figure out how to get the COH to move the current land owner.

^Yeah, I think the answer here is to report as much as possible and try to get more attention to the property.

Hey, I was in Ms Deats 1st grade class in 66'. She wrapped my arm in newspaper to stop me from sucking my thumb. I think that was also the year they put in a bunch of new play elements in the school yard. Don't know why but I remember some names: Kimberly, Lauren, Jeremy, Paul, Stuart, Tod. Any sound familiar? I've got a snapshot of her at a picnic at the Battleship Texas. That was the big trip of the year.

There was a gate at the back of the Little Red School House that always seemed to be the entrance to another world. When you went through that gate you knew you someplace special. I always thought it had been there forever and looked so old.

We stumbled across it in 2005 and it was certainly in sad shape. Had coffee in the new/now defunct coffee shop though. I noticed in the recent pics that the fountain statue inside the belfort entrance is gone and the iron work on the roof of the arch building is gone. They were there in 2005. It seems that the place is just fading away.

We used to go to the Village Inn Pizza to watch Paul Buskirk play banjo in 71-73. Johnston Jr High did their football victory parties there after every game. I thought they had the best pizza anywhere.

Later in 1974-75, I worked in the Fun Shop. I think it was in the old Electric Paisley shop because the there was a "Black Light" room about 10x10 for the velvet posters. I sold alot of majic and posters along with gag gifts and masks. It was a cool gig for a 15 yr old. The best part was closing the store to run down to Village Inn for a take out cheeze pizza.

Wow...I need to stop now.

Cheers to all.....

post-7896-1236121391_thumb.jpg

Ahh, it's a small world indeed. I vividly remember the trip to see the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto monument. I remember Kimberly too. I'm pretty sure her dad was a state senator, last name Ogg. If you remember Steven and Susan, send me a PM sometime. My wife and I are going to take a trip down there this fall and get some pictures before it's all gone.

Ahh, it's a small world indeed. I vividly remember the trip to see the Battleship Texas and the San Jacinto monument. I remember Kimberly too. I'm pretty sure her dad was a state senator, last name Ogg. If you remember Steven and Susan, send me a PM sometime. My wife and I are going to take a trip down there this fall and get some pictures before it's all gone.

Kim Ogg was the Executive Director of Crime Stoppers, and a Harris County prosecutor before that. She's in private practice as a lawyer now with her father.

Ogg Law Firm

Can't seem to do a PM. Shoot me an email at tpeddie@austin.rr.com

Cheers..

My husband and I drove around the remaining parking lot yesterday and it appears that someone still lives in a second floor apartment facing W. Bellfort. I thought all residents had been instructed to leave but there are plants and a small outdoor grill on the balcony as well as a couple of cars parked in front. We plan on touring on foot and taking a few snaps before 'the end' comes. My husband grew up in Bellaire and remembers Westbury Square as the coolest and hippest place in Houston during its heyday. B)

• Like 1

Again, the problem with Westbury Square is that the owner has no desire to fix the place up. I've lived in Westbury since 1994. The Westbury Civic Club and COH have been working to get the problem fixed. The problem is the absentee owner. There's more to the story about the current owner but I won't type it in public forums because who knows who reads these things.

Last year before Ike the COH gave the guy 30 days to fix up the property. There was a public hearing where I believe all member of City Council and the Mayor and if I recall about 20 folks from Westbury showed up and the owner was told fix it or we will. Then Ike hit.

I drive by the square 2x a day as I have for the past 14 years. I've seen it go from a mess to a bigger mess.

There are some plans on paper to bulldoze the square and the shopping center w/99 cent only. The discussions included the following.

1. Building a Harris County Library on the site.

2. Building a new fire station to replace the one on Chimney Rock.

3. Build a small police storefront

4. HEB has wanted to build a large format store since they closed the Pantry back in the late 90's (now 99 cent only). They are still interested.

5. Build some combination retail/loft style apartments or condos.

6. Tie Home Depot into a shopping village.

7. Petsmart and Petco have both expressed a desire to have a store in the area. Ideal location.

I don't remember the rest of the plans that were discussed, but all that needs to happen is bulldoze the square and progress can happen.

There are plans there, we just have to figure out how to get the COH to move the current land owner.

Thanks for the updates, did not know any of that.

• 1 month later...

The latest news about Westbury Square.....

There is a trial scheduled in Harris County Civil Court against the owner(s) of Westbury Square. The trial has already been scheduled a couple of times before and keeps getting postponed. Gotta love attorneys. I do not have the details. You might contact the Westbury Civic Club to get further details about the trial or look it up in the Harris County Courts web site.

The sno-ball trailer that has been located in the parking lot since 1994 (that's when I moved here, it might have been there before) has not reappeared this year and the electric meter that has been used by them is no longer on the pole in the parking lot. Not sure if they've decided not to come back this season or not.

All of the awnings facing W. Bellfort have been taken down. From what I can see the roofs still have no shingles on them.

Due to the economic conditions the retail that had been planned for across W. Bellfort (townhomes were torn down) is on hold.

Located east of Westbury Square at W. Bellfort/Chimney Rock is the old Westbury Centerette. The Centerette is scheduled to be torn down. It appears that the only structures to be left will be the Pizza Hut and AutoZone. The remainder will be demoed and replaced. Including the old Exxon station that was abandoned.

Any other news?

The latest news about Westbury Square.....

There is a trial scheduled in Harris County Civil Court against the owner(s) of Westbury Square. The trial has already been scheduled a couple of times before and keeps getting postponed. Gotta love attorneys. I do not have the details. You might contact the Westbury Civic Club to get further details about the trial or look it up in the Harris County Courts web site.

The sno-ball trailer that has been located in the parking lot since 1994 (that's when I moved here, it might have been there before) has not reappeared this year and the electric meter that has been used by them is no longer on the pole in the parking lot. Not sure if they've decided not to come back this season or not.

All of the awnings facing W. Bellfort have been taken down. From what I can see the roofs still have no shingles on them.

Due to the economic conditions the retail that had been planned for across W. Bellfort (townhomes were torn down) is on hold.

Located east of Westbury Square at W. Bellfort/Chimney Rock is the old Westbury Centerette. The Centerette is scheduled to be torn down. It appears that the only structures to be left will be the Pizza Hut and AutoZone. The remainder will be demoed and replaced. Including the old Exxon station that was abandoned.

That's great news, I'm going to contact the Civic Club. I want to make sure I have all the details on this. Is Anthony Antonini the current owner?

Edited by AmericanPsycho

Yes, that is the owner. At least he's the last I knew of. Seems the ownership changes periodically when there is legal issues. At least that is what I've been told. I don't know much more than what I'm told by the members of the civic club board.

That's great news, I'm going to contact the Civic Club. I want to make sure I have all the details on this. Is Anthony Antonini the current owner?

• 2 weeks later...

99 Cents Only was in the process of closing all stores in Texas due to economic conditions in the whole nation. I have seen a few close in Pasadena and hopefully the one in Westbury will go as well somtime in the near future. Actually, my mom is friends with one of the cashiers there and has already got a job lined up for her if the store is closed. They were supposed to close before the end of 08 but decided to keep some open and hold on.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/business/99_Ce...xas_stores.html

http://losangeles.bizjournals.com/losangel...02/daily26.html

Now the sort of confirmed thing I know from speaking with a manager at Home Depot is that the Westbury store is not doing so well and might be phased out because the full size Home Depot opened up near Hillcroft and the Beltway. This is speculation and nothing is known for sure.

I was the one that took all of those pics in 07 in this thread but I have not been back to the sold WS since the hurricane. There are for sure people still living there because you can see cars from the street. I also called the theater in WS for ticket info. and they say there are no plans to close at all.

http://www.companyonstage.org/

What I would LOVE to happend is for the entire parcel of land from the Home Depot to the Chase bank to sold to a developer and single family homes to be built. Just connect to the existing streets on the other side and build a small neighborhood of 1600-2100 sq ft homes; no giant McMansions sitting on small lots. Home sales are soft now but this location is under 5 minutes from the loop, 15 minutes to the med center, and under 30 minutes in weekday morning rush hour to downtown. The homes would sell in the $180-220K range if built with basics and upgrades were left to the owner.

I think the square is way beyond repair as a whole but maybe the theater building could be saved if the city partnered with them to somehow reduce costs of major renovations through some program. A giant HEB would be a money maker but the traffic would be a nightmare.

BTW, any updates on what is going to happend with La Peak Apartments on Gasmer?

The place looks like a warzone. Al Antonini is the onwer of this place as well.

At least the city put stop to that cell phone tower that was going up on his land behind the HFD station on Chimney Rock.

Edited by LarryDallas

Larry and other interested parties.

I spoke with Managers of 3 Home Depots in the area....Hillcroft/Bltwy 8, Pin Oak (610/59), and I-10 Spring Branch. Not one of them have heard anything about Westbury HD closing or even having business issues. In fact 2 of them say that Westbury is one of the top performing stores in Houston. And about 3 months ago I talked to a HD district manager and his response was anyone that thinks Westbury will close is crazy. I'm planning on visiting the store next week and talking to folks there plus calling Atlanta and asking.

As for the 99 cent store there. Business is down about 50% since Ike (per a friend in the retail area) and they have reduced the size of the store. I also have been told their lease runs out in 2009. Hopefully they will close the store at that time.

Westbury Square may have residents, however the City of Houston has virtually condemned the place. That is why there are legal proceedings against the current owner. I drive by the square 2 times a day and never seen anyone there. There is no security lighting for residents if there are any. The roof is nothing but tarpaper from what I can tell.

I have no idea about the theatre. They never seem to advertise or communicate with the residents. They certainly do not seem to be very interested in promoting themselves.

As for the future of WS, HD, 99 cent store center, and Chase bank building. There is zero desire by anyone to demo these to build single family homes. Part of the reason would be traffic impact. The impact would snarl Chimney Rock and W. Bellfort. Plus the added burden on services in the area. In addition, because the homes would be zoned to Westbury HS, Fondren MS and Anderson Elem I doubt there would be many folks wanting to purchase them. These are all considered to be substandard schools by most folks.

Both Harris County and the COH would love to have the WS land to do something with such as I have mentioned. A new county library (county libraries are totally different entities vs COH libraries) and new fire station plus a police/constable station.

HEB has definite interest in building a store in the Westbury/Meyerland area to replace the old Pantry store that used to be where 99 cent is now PLUS the store at Chimney Rock/S. Braeswood. They are interested specifically in the land at W. Bellfort/Chimney Rock if it ever became available. Petsmart has also indicated an interest as well as CVS.

And finally the old Westbury Centerette is going to be demoed. Finally. And I have been told it will be a retail village and housing. Details are still being worked out on the development.

You asked about the La Peak apts. My understanding is they are slated to be demoed. I have been told that they are owned by a woman in California. Originally she had looked at turning them into condos, but the cost of renovation was prohibitive. So it is cheaper to demo them and wait for better financial times.

Hummm...........I saw some pics of a woman on her balcony in one of those apartments. There were also lots of plants, so I assume she was living there. Could she be paying rent to someone or do ya think she could be a squatter? If she was a squatter, wouldn't somebody have run her off already?

If someone is charging her rent, I would hope it's not too much because surely she isn't getting her moneys worth.

The HEB pulled out of that center because of shoplifting and other pretty crime. I know that for a fact because my neighbor's niece used to work there when she was in high school around 1998ish. They told them of the store closing and why a few weeks before they shut down. A giant HEB is a multimillion dollar investment and I am hoping they do not go for it. The only one in a bad area I know of is the one outside of the Belt on Beechnut. Although people who live in Westbury know it is not bullets and crack cocaine everywhere most people who don't live here think it is a rough part of town. The big HEBs are usually in newer McMansion development areas or heavy traffic older business/residential areas.

Ever since Meyerland Auto moved to S. Post Oak that center seemed to have just gone further downhill. The ACE check cashing place is also a bad thing. What's next a pawn and smoke shop?

The center was very nice when tennants were HEB, Meyerland Auto, the private and small 99 cent store, Eckerds, and Blockbuster.

The only good thing to occur has been Advance Auto moving in. The store is immaculately clean and the employees are all very helpful.

I kind of worry about 99 cent leaving and then some store like Save A Lot moving in. It is wishful thinking but if that entire center was demoed and wild grass grew on it like the Gillman Honda/Mitsubishi lot in Sharpstown I would prefer it.

Although the Centerette was more of an eyesore, it was at least not a contributor to traffic and crime. In fact, that mechanic shop near the Discount Tire with all of the junk cars parked inside the fence had somewhat of a southern charm to it. But, I am glad to see it all go. You mentioned it will be a mix of retail and housing. Will it be a midrise building or at least 5 floors with apartments on top and retail at ground level?

I can't see how retail would be successful there because the strip mall next to AutoZone was in good repair for years but just failed. The only store to hang on until about 5 years ago was the Sports trading card shop. Until about 2007 the spaces were all for lease but no one moved in. Then the plywood went on. I had been hoping that CVS would come back to the area and open a full size store on that land because they maintain their properties very well. Maybe a Quizno's or Subway shop could open next to Pizza Hut if CVS took the large parcel of land behind that corner.

Edited by LarryDallas

Hummm...........I saw some pics of a woman on her balcony in one of those apartments. There were also lots of plants, so I assume she was living there. Could she be paying rent to someone or do ya think she could be a squatter? If she was a squatter, wouldn't somebody have run her off already?

If someone is charging her rent, I would hope it's not too much because surely she isn't getting her moneys worth.

Those people have electricity and some have satellite dishes. To get those you need to verfiy residence and get permission from the owner/landlord for the dish to go up. I don't think they are squatting.

There is limited electrical service to Westbury Square. I was over there this afternoon and could only find 1 apartment unit that had a good electrical meter. It is probably some friend of Antonelli's or something like that. The rest of the square except the theatre group and the school house has no electricity unless they have hidden the meters.

It is interesting that you mention crime around the shopping center. I spoke with 2 HPD officers this evening and they told me that the shopping center has very little crime. Not sure where anyone gets information to the contrary. Westbury as a subdivision has very little crime. And I do not appreciate anyone spreading talk that there is a crime problem. I have lived here since 1994 and have monitored the crime reports periodically and there is not a crime problem in Westbury. Take a look at the HPD stats versus areas like Spring Branch or Montrose or Midtown or look at Bellaire's crime stats. It is unfair to paint Westbury in the same brushstroke as places like Sharpstown or Fondren Southwest or Mission Bend or the east end.

The auto repair place that is there now is an independent and very nice guys. Much nicer and I feel very honest vs Angels (Burdine/Chimney Rock). You are correct we DO NOT need 2 check cashing places in the shopping center. But right now these are the cards we are dealt. I think these type of places are simply a cancer that has infested all areas of town including Kingwood, Clear Lake, areas of Memorial, and the Heights. The sooner Congress passes legislation regulating them the sooner we get rid of them. My understanding is that Weingarten still owns the shopping center through one of their off-shoot companies. A commercial real estate friend tells me they have several branches that they lease their "lower tier" shopping centers via. I may be wrong, but that is based on information from several real estate folks.

Now I know for a fact that the HEB where 99cent only is now was not closed due to crime. A very close friend of mine is in a very high level management position at HEB's corporate office in San Antonio and the reason the store was closed is 2 fold. 1. They had planned to open a new store at W. Fuqua and Beltway 8 within 1 year of closing the W. Bellfort store. This plan was scuttled because Chimney Rock would not be put through, being replaced by Ft Bend Tollway. HEB's plans were to have a HEB Plus concept there and since the CIty of Houston had planned to run CR through they would have access to Westbury & Meyerland residents. They would then close down the Chimney Rock/S. Braeswood store. Secondly, the W. Bellfort store was also closed due to Weingarten's greed. They wanted to raise the rent significantly on HEB so HEB chose to close the store when their lease expired. Many in Westbury knew of the stores closing months before it closed, not days. Another contributing factor to the closure was HEB's decision to end the Pantry concept in Houston. This W. Bellfort store was smaller than the S. Braeswood store and could not be easily converted into a "regular" small footprint HEB. (Just an FYI, it appears the HEB in Bellaire will be closed when the HEB on Buffalo Speedway is opened)

As for demoing the shopping center and letting it grow over. The civic club would not let that happen. There is enough political clout these days with Mayor White and Councilperson Clutterbuck that it simply would not be allowed to happen. I think Anne is gathering enough political steam to be like Martha Wong when she did a lot to update parts of Fondren SW before leaving office.

The plans for the centerette are communuted due to Pizza Hut and Auto Zone. The entire block bounded by Cedarhurst/Moonlight/W. Bellfort/Chimney Rock will be demolished EXCEPT Pizza Hut and Auto Zone. There will also be a 're-engineering' of the NE quadrant of the intersection to smooth out traffic turning from W. Bellfort (westbound) to Chimney Rock (northbound). My understanding is that CVS will build a new standalone store on the parcel and there will be a shopping area with 2-3 stories of residential units above that. I'm trying to get someone to take the old Centerette sign and repair it and relight it with the clock once the new center is opened. Time will tell.

Once we get past the economic problems there are some other projects that are very exciting planned for the area including covering the drainage ditch running in the middle of Chimney Rock. And I believe the COH is looking at the storage tank at Kinglet and Chimney Rock to "rightsize" that facility. I'd love for them to build a nice water tower like at Bellaire Blvd and S. Gessner and let Westbury put its logo on the tower.