Co-Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart At 1111 St. Joseph Parkway

Montrose1100

• 3 weeks later...
Top Ten Changes Made for Downsized Cathedral

10. Pews to be made of particle-board and veneer.

9. Chalices will feature unbreakable "flexi-stem" technology by Rubbermaid.

8. No Brita for Holy Water.

7. Pipe organ plans scrapped in favor of Kawasaki XL9000 "Symphony in One" keyboard.

6. Stained glass designs changed from Gothic to Minimalist.

5. Expensive, closed-in confessionals abandoned for contemporary "open air" booth format.

4. Contract for "fruit of the vine" awarded to Franzia.

3. Multiple dipping bowls for Holy Water scrapped in favor of one central, "mingle and meet" location.

2. Standard portrait of Pope John Paul II not ordered; odds on pontiff's health apparently lose out against 28 month construction period.

1. Air conditioning systems to be turned off on confession nights.  The word from the bishop: "Make 'em sweat."

That roofles my toofles!!!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Anyone know if the bell tower is still a go...

Resurrecting the thread... yes, the bell tower is still in the plans but won't be built for several years until money is raised for it. They just shortened the nave and lowered the ceiling to cut costs.

I wasn't sure about the church buiding when they first announced it, but I pass by it everyday on the rail and it seems more and more impressive the more I see it. I did notice that they will not be installing any windows near the ground... I think this is more to deter vandals than to provide clerestory lighting.

• 2 weeks later...

I just drove by and its looking Big, real big! I don't like the dome on it. You can tell they designed it using CAD because its too perfect. Looks good in line drawings but from the street perspective its to shallow. Reminds me of Moe's hair cut from the 3 stooges.

I just drove by and its looking Big, real big! I don't like the dome on it. You can tell they designed it using CAD because its too perfect. Looks good in line drawings but from the street perspective its to shallow. Reminds me of Moe's hair cut from the 3 stooges.

I agree; absolute CAD. But on the other side of the coin CAD can give you a full dome if you want it. Compare it to the dome on the new courthouse. They are interchangable. I mean, if you are going to build a courthouse or cathedral dome, build it in it's fullest historic sense-not some shallow half dome that says they either hired a mediocre architect, didn't have the budget to do it right or both.