Co-Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart At 1111 St. Joseph Parkway

Montrose1100

• 1 month later...

I know this is an old thread, and Catholic misconceptions aside, I'll say this much:

The 'old cathedrals' and churches in Italy took a minimum of 1 year, but usually 4 or more to build. It's why many have a facade that doesn't match the rest of the building as that was always done last and usually the original vision was long lost.

It wasn't just the poor, the wealthy would have side chapels built, decorated and named for their families. St. Mary Maggoria in Rome has a solid gold ceiling compliments of Queen Isabella.

In these times alot has to do with money. It's difficult to find good artisans to do intricate detail anymore without paying a pretty penny. The church doesn't have nobility anymore to pay for such artisans. It usually comes down to pay for artisan work inside or out, but not both [unfortunately, as I like the old style as well].

On another note, Christ the Redeemer in Cypress just finished their new church [which connects to the old church] in November. It has the traditional 'cross' shape outside. You can see pictures via their website at http://ctrcc.com/blog/?page_id=35 to see the finished church, scroll down to the "Dedication" photo album.

The 'old cathedrals' and churches in Italy took a minimum of 1 year, but usually 4 or more to build.

Four years? I don't think any of the old churches of Europe were completed that quickly. Usually they took decades, or even hundreds of years, which is why different parts of them are sometimes in different styles and materials.

Using you example of Italy:

Florence's Cathedral (1296-1421 for the main building, until 1887 to finish the facade): 125-591 years

The Church of Santa Maria Novella in Florence (1278-1360): 82 years.

Church of Saint Mary of Health and Salvation in Venice (1630-1687): 57 years.

In these times alot has to do with money. It's difficult to find good artisans to do intricate detail anymore without paying a pretty penny.

It should also be noted that in the past, many of the world's greatest artists would decorate a church for free. It was considered an honor and a way to spread their name. Good luck finding anyone who will do that anymore.

• 3 months later...

Archbishop Daniel N. DiNardo lead the services at last nights huge special Chrism mass. I had not attended a service her in a good while but it never ceases to amaze me of what a grand place this is. Aside all the features and grandness of the building, its the effect the mass has on myself period. Sure wish Haif came with sound effects. The choir must be large and the sound of the Baroque pipe organ is something one must experience 1st hand. If I closed my eyes I would think I were in The Vatican, seriously.

There had to have been over 1,000 in attendance last night and lasted a very long time. There were several processions as mass commenced. There were many uniformed men from Knights of Colombus leading in just before the (hundreds of new priests) entered & were seated. There were rows and rows of Sisters from numerous Convents from around the state in various colored attire. Reminded me of when we saw the Pope in Toronto for World Youth Day (Google) several years ago.

There were several local news cameras on site to capture all of the images and action that night. Surreal. :)

Edited by Vertigo58

• 8 months later...

The project at hand is to repair and restore a main door as well as two side doors on the historic former Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral. As you can see below in the photos the doors has surfer some damages throughout the years.

I will be looking for some volunteers and handymans to come out one weekend and give a helping hand. Also, I have never done anything like this before so I really have no idea where to start; so any input and advice would be nice. The door is also 98 years old so it is important to be careful to not ruin it.

If you are interested in volunteering please get in touch with me. This does also count as community service so if you need some hours this is a prefect opportunity.

Thank You again

Before Photos

2526557055_6a99bbc17c_b.jpg

Ceremony_053.jpg

2169791326_94bca09f05_b.jpg

After/Damage Photos

P1012479.jpg

P1012480.jpg

P1012482.jpg

P1012484.jpg

P1012481.jpg

P1012485.jpg

• 1 month later...

The project at hand is to repair and restore a main door as well as two side doors on the historic former Sacred Heart Co-Cathedral. As you can see below in the photos the doors has surfer some damages throughout the years.

I will be looking for some volunteers and handymans to come out one weekend and give a helping hand. Also, I have never done anything like this before so I really have no idea where to start; so any input and advice would be nice. The door is also 98 years old so it is important to be careful to not ruin it.

If you are interested in volunteering please get in touch with me. This does also count as community service so if you need some hours this is a prefect opportunity.

Thank You again

Before Photos

2526557055_6a99bbc17c_b.jpg

Ceremony_053.jpg

2169791326_94bca09f05_b.jpg

After/Damage Photos

P1012479.jpg

P1012480.jpg

P1012482.jpg

P1012484.jpg

P1012481.jpg

P1012485.jpg

Those vandals are really bold. Thy shall not deface a church may not be one of the commandments and obviously no very high on the list of things that HPD wants to catch people doing. They could take a few of the cops staking out the freeways for people running late for work and make a dent in the fires, thefts and vandalism that is running amuck.

• 3 years later...

Four years? I don't think any of the old churches of Europe were completed that quickly. Usually they took decades, or even hundreds of years, which is why different parts of them are sometimes in different styles and materials.

Using you example of Italy:

Florence's Cathedral (1296-1421 for the main building, until 1887 to finish the facade): 125-591 years

The Church of Santa Maria Novella in Florence (1278-1360): 82 years.

Church of Saint Mary of Health and Salvation in Venice (1630-1687): 57 years.

It should also be noted that in the past, many of the world's greatest artists would decorate a church for free. It was considered an honor and a way to spread their name. Good luck finding anyone who will do that anymore.

Free today = At no cost.

Free in the Medieval/Renaissance Ages = they were paid with food and housing.

• 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to Co-Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart Church At 1111 St. Joseph Pkwy.
  • The topic was unlocked
  • 8 months later...

https://www.khou.com/article/news/local/church-fire-downtown-houston/285-28fc706c-5c4c-4877-9103-b19ed18af6b0

"HOUSTON — Firefighters have responded to a two-alarm fire at the Co-Cathedral of the Sacred Heart Church in downtown Houston Friday morning.

Fire officials said that as of 6:15 a.m., the fire had been tapped out.

Fire officials told KHOU 11's Stephanie Whitfield that the fire may have been mechanical, possibly an elevator motor caught fire."

• The title was changed to Co-Cathedral Of The Sacred Heart At 1111 St. Joseph Parkway