Shakey's Pizza On Chimney Rock Rd. At Bellaire Blvd.

Ashikaga

My memory may be faulty on this, but did Shakey's involve peanut shells on the floor?

I don't recall one way or the other - but being the kid haven that it was, they prolly had more suspicious stuff on the floor than the Oak Village Theater would have had on a Saturday afternoon.

My memory may be faulty on this, but did Shakey's involve peanut shells on the floor?

I don't think they ever did peanuts shells.

I remember a player piano and/or a banjo player.  They also ran silent movies (laurel and hardy?).

I also went to a couple of birthday parties there as a kid.

My memory is of the spiciest pepperoni pizza i ever had.

I think that turned me away from pepperoni for the longest...

The Pasadena - Spencer location of Shakey's is where we went - complete with pizza oven observation window and barbershop quartet type - banjo and bow ties, live band. A while later, my parents (and our neighbors) switched to the A-framed looking"Village Inn Pizza Parlor" located behind Pasadena Plaza. It had a live band every Friday night... Rock music, frosty beer pitchers, and pepperoni pizza. It was fun...ran all around that place.

The Shakey's building was later occupied by a mexican food restaurant with a small plane on its roof.

I don't remember the Shakey's at Bellfort & Broadway. I remember a Pizza Inn and Pizza Hut, late '70's.

I'm pretty sure one of the two at Bellfort/Broadway in the mid 1970s was a Shakey's (and changed later); opinions here differ, though, and it may have been farther west on Bellfort around Mykawa, but I don't agree.

There was one at (outside of) Almeda Mall too.

And I found a mention of one at Griggs and South Park.

I'm pretty sure one of the two at Bellfort/Broadway in the mid 1970s was a Shakey's (and changed later); opinions here differ, though, and it may have been farther west on Bellfort around Mykawa, but I don't agree.

There was one at (outside of) Almeda Mall too.

And I found a mention of one at Griggs and South Park.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I don't remember. Maybe it was originally in the Pizza Inn bldg. Similar layouts... located behind the McDonalds, facing Broadway, across the median from SoundWaves. 

The Shakeys I remember was out at Wilcrest and 59 - The building is still there - I most remember going there with my YMCA football teams and they had this video game where you were on a motor cycle and you jumped over barrells or something like that - Black and white monitor and sketchy audio - This thing predated Space Invaders

This one! I remember this one! Wasn't there a shoe store next door to it?

• 1 year later...

I remember going once to a Shakey's Pizza on Wayside Dr. Not to far from Lawndale in Houston, TX back in the late 60's. It was later turned into a Pizza Inn or Pizza Hut.  That was the very first time I had ever eaten pizza. Though I have a vague memory (I was quite young) I remember red and white stripe hats and the place looked somewhat like a saloon.  I thought the pizza was good or at least from what I remember.

one afternoon some friends and I went to the wrestling matches downtown. I remember Handsome Johnny Barend and the Missing Link and another wrestler that I can't remember the name of. After the wrestling matches we goofed around for a short while and about six in the evening we heading to Shakey's for some pizza. The place was crowded and with very few seats. All of a sudden about ten people get up that was sitting together and left. My friends and I grabbed  the seats and right behind us came another party of three and sat next to us. As I started looking at the new people that has sat down I noticed it was Handsome Johnny Barend, the Missing link and the other guy we has seen earlier. Only now they weren't at each other throat ready to tear each others head off and the biggest surprise was the Missing Link, he had his hair combed and was not being led around with a steel collar and chain and now he could talk instead of just grunt. We all had a good visit and had a lot of fun that night and I gained a lot of insight on the wrestling profession.

• 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

“Pizza is to be eaten with the fingers” instructed the Shakey’s menu. The Capital P was even a little drawing of a left hand in pizza-holding formation (or was that the F in fingers?!?).

I still remember the extra stretchy quality of the cheese and the smell of the sauced crust getting perfectly crisped in the hot pizza oven.  

The Bellaire location was “our” Shakey’s. It was more of a splurge to dine there, compared to the all-you-can-eat Pancho’s buffet nearby. Live music by a duo was replaced by that glass-encased player piano, but the Village Inn Pizza Parlor had full bands playing on their bigger stage for a while after (Westbury Square, perched in prime position on its front parking lot, next door to The Cheese Man). Someone else had the Mighty Wurlitzer pipe organ with light show, up in Memorial City, but I really don’t think it was a Shakey’s.

• The title was changed to Shakey's Pizza On Chimney Rock Rd. At Bellaire Blvd.

Archived