Fruit Trees

Dustin

I'm doing some research into what kind of foliage to plant around a 1/4 acre lot and I have some ideas. I have a concrete wall around 3 sides of the property and a chain link fence in the front. I'm thinking about ground cover on the outside of the fence, ground shrubs of some sort, and fruit trees on the inside of the brick walls. Are fruit trees high maintenance though? This is the main thing that has me concerned about going through with the idea. Everything I read about planting them does not follow through with how to maintain them.

high maintenance is relative. 

Fertilize a few times per year and prune them once a year and you'll be alright.

Just make sure to plant varieties that are suitable for the region. don't buy fruit trees from the big box stores. Get them from the local nurseries that will provide you with the best varieties for the region and can give you useful information (Maas nursery, the Arbor gate, Shades of Texas, etc..) Unlike lowes that might sell you  a plum tree that requires 900 chill hours, or a hass avacado that will likely never produce fruit. and the employees have no information about how to take care of it.

A good resource for fruit trees in Houston area: http://urbanharvest.org/fruits

Also January is fruit tree sale season. many of the local extension agencies will be having their fruit tree sales.

Citrus seems to do okay. I was at my cousins' house in Pearland, and I asked about fruit trees, turns out their relatively neglected lime tree produced a full-size fruit. His wife was really excited about it, but it seems more of an accident than good maintenance...

"[My cousin's name], didn't your parents grow lots of limes on their tree back in Florida?"

"I don't know anything about growing limes, I just picked them when my mom told me to..."

• 4 weeks later...

Archived