Surface Parking Lot At 1835 Bell St.

hindesky

5 hours ago, Pitts said:

It's crazy this wasn't a parking lot already considering it's two blocks from Toyota Center and two blocks from GRB. Just goes to show how much of a dead zone that the southeast corner of downtown still is.

Actually, a lot of those grass fields currently serve as parking lots during Rockets games, concerts, etc. Good it's being surfaced at least. 

19 hours ago, cspwal said:

I feel bad for people who stay at that holiday inn express thinking "oh this will be downtown it will be great" and get here and it's an island in a sea of vacant blocks

While I agree with the sentiment, I really have little simpathy for anyone who books here without at least doing a Google street view before booking.  I think most folks know exactly what they are renting and trade the location for the price.  A quick search of rates shows that it is about $25 cheaper per night than the new Hampton Inn and $60 per night cheaper than the Embassy Suites.  

On 11/29/2016 at 8:47 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

While I agree with the sentiment, I really have little simpathy for anyone who books here without at least doing a Google street view before booking.  I think most folks know exactly what they are renting and trade the location for the price.  

In over 100 hotel stays I have probably used street view twice to scope out the neighborhood. very useful tool, and even having used it before, I rarely use it. 

Can't really be too hash on people who don't make use of it. I do agree with your second point however.  I usually sacrifice location to lower costs. The few times I have used street view, I was trying to maximize amenities while not boosting cost too much.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, BeerNut said:

Houston should encourage developers to use permeable parking lots

What!? Make them spend more money? That's so, so, so, un-Houston

I actually like that idea, assuming it doesn't create issues with subsidence, etc.

2 hours ago, Texasota said:

Surface parking should also be taxed at a higher rate than commercial or residential property.

The law does not allow for different rates based on use. Presumably, a property used for parking is valued higher than an unused property.

• 3 years later...
23 minutes ago, Tumbleweed_Tx said:

Which lot is supposed to have Camden Phase 2? (Not that I see them building that within the next 10 years)

Camden phase 2, if it ever happens will be on Block 346, but just looking at whether the current building's patios have furniture, it might be a long while. 

This parking lot is 2 blocks east of Toyota Center and 2 blocks south of GRB.

fFN8TSM.png

• The title was changed to Surface Parking Lot At 1835 Bell St.

Archived