Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
trymahjong

Lower Westheimer traffic Corridor Study

27 posts in this topic

Saw a presentation from COH at Neartown meeting--

A Community meeting for citizen input was held last week-- another meeting is proposed for February.

The "rebuilding" of corridor from Main street to Montrose is funded-- the remainder is pending.

Looks like 3 lanes of traffic instead of 4 lanes on Lower Westheimer is a go!

You can check out the website

http://www.houstontx.gov/planning/transportation/CMP/LowerWestheimer/ 

Edited by trymahjong
7 people like this

From an interview with Mark Davis of Davis Commercial about the future of Lower Westheimer:

Realty News Report: What are the Westheimer weaknesses that need to be overcome? Strengths?

Mark Davis: The biggest weakness is parking. There is no magic bullet solution to the problem, but I do think the city needs to treat the area much differently than the suburbs. I love Austin’s downtown parking vision – I understand they have no minimum parking requirements and the market figures it out. I think that is the direction we should go. The world is changing – More people are using Uber, biking, etc. Self-driving cars are coming down the pike. Everyone wants to live in an area where they can walk to things. That all translates to less need for parking spaces. Our strength is that it is the closest thing we have in Houston to South Congress in Austin. We have a fun mix of one-of-a-kind restaurants and shops plus a great mix of residents, businesses, and architecture.

Realty News Report: What would you tell the city Lower Westheimer Corridor Study committee if you had some suggestions?

Mark Davis: As I mentioned, I’m super impressed with Patrick Walsh and his planning committee regarding the improvement of the Lower Westheimer Corridor. I think Patrick really “gets it” and realizes this is a special place of Houston that needs to retain its character and vibrancy. Making this stretch more walkable, bikable, and lowering the parking requirements will be a great plus.

Edited by CrockpotandGravel
1 person likes this

Yes Lower Westheimer has its parking issues...... this may be why COH set up a special Parking Designated area( lead by MMD) that includes most of Lower Westheimer-- examination of the issue continues.........

Wow this is really great news! I really like how Upper Kirby District widened sidewalks along Westheimer. It makes that area feel so much better! So when do improvements begin? 

1 person likes this

Lower Westheimer is narrow enough. The 4 lanes to 3 lanes set-up is good because the four lane set-up is/was useless in several cases (buses and larger trucks cannot stay in one lane). A turn lane would really help there.

5 people like this

Does anyone have a timeline for W. Alabama and Lower Westheiner reconstruction?

Guess those interested have a chance to catch up--- open meeting April 20 multi-service center on Gray

I get all the studies and meetings but damn we have to wait till 2020 for them to start construction on this? And West Alabama hasn't even started yet. What I don't get is when we have a massive event (Super Bowl) somehow the money finds a way to fix an issue quickly. 

In sim city, if you can't afford to do something at the moment, you can either get a loan or wait until your tax revenue has gathered enough cash to do the project.  And you can only get 3 loans

I guess Houston used all 3 loans getting ready for the super bowl, and now needs to just save up money to upgrade the street

1 person likes this

Well from what I understand, Houston voted YES on a pay as you go system. While it's great to prevent additional debt, it slows down progress. I feel like I'll be dead by the time this city get's all the pieces in place lol

2 people like this

I've been waiting for fifty five years for some of these things to come to fruition so don't hold your breath.

2 people like this

1 minute ago, bobruss said:

I've been waiting for fifty five years for some of these things to come to fruition so don't hold your breath.

Thanks for the hope lol

1 person likes this

I mean if you want it to happen now you could lobby for a referendum letting the city issue as many bonds as it wants to get everything done now

1 person likes this

I doubt with a pension debt to figure out, that were going to be spending any extra on local road projects unless this money is guaranteed for this purpose only.

Besides if the pension bill doesn't pass the house this week it will be two years before they meet again.

And in the meantime the interests on this debt is going up and up. So unless we have a windfall or the bill passes

and we straighten out our debt issues things might move along a little slower for a while.

The bond agencies are already suggesting they may lower our rate.

I sure hope not.

In reality Westheimer, Alabama, and Richmond all need to be rebuilt. Just not at the same time.

Richmond would have rail and the road would be open now if the little handful of NIMBYS hadn't ranted so vociferously.

If you live in John Culbertson's district, don't vote for the blind visionary of science. He's a fool.

4 people like this

John Culbertson is a complete moron. I fully understand representing your constituents, but he mainly represents himself and his pockets. It amazes me how he "struck a deal" with Metro to have commuter rail to Mo City yet he couldn't help Metro find a new route for the University Line. Yeah if you don't want rail in your neighborhood that's one thing, but to make sure no more rail projects are part of our transportation plan is the Republican thing to do. What a jerk for a lack of waaay better words. I did see some work beginning on West Alabama today. Getting a walkable connection to Upper Kirby from Midtown/Montrose is going to be great. 

Edited by j_cuevas713

6 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

It amazes me how he "struck a deal" with Metro to have commuter rail to Mo City

whatever happened to this deal?  Shouldn't we be hearing about plans or ballot items or something by now?

1 person likes this

It really is pathetic. Its a diversionary tactic to take our minds off of one thing and then forget about it.

A kind of bureaucratic slight of hand. Now you see it now you don't.

Sound familiar?

1 person likes this

I went to the presentation with perhaps 40 or so stakeholders. Nice presentation that indeed did show significant changes for the the Westheimer blocks from Montrose to Bagby. I had thought 4 lanes would be turned into 3 lanes but really it's only 2 lanes with an occasional left hand turn lane and "cut outs" for the metro buses to leave main lane when picking up riders. It seems that there are less bus stops and .... actual parking spaces on Westheimer itself.

5 people like this

Thanks for the report trymahjong and also for taking the time to represent and get the scoop.

4 hours ago, trymahjong said:

I went to the presentation with perhaps 40 or so stakeholders. Nice presentation that indeed did show significant changes for the the Westheimer blocks from Montrose to Bagby. I had thought 4 lanes would be turned into 3 lanes but really it's only 2 lanes with an occasional left hand turn lane and "cut outs" for the metro buses to leave main lane when picking up riders. It seems that there are less bus stops and .... actual parking spaces on Westheimer itself.

Do you have any documents or images you can post?