Retail Center At 238-250 W. 19th St.

mkultra25

Just noticed last night that Chippendale Eastlake Antiques on the corner of 19th and Rutland is gone - space has been cleared out and there is a for lease sign on the front of the building. 

Anyone know what happened to them? Gone out of business, moved elsewhere, untenable rent increase, or something else? They seemed like a fixture in that spot, and had been there as long as I've been living in the area. I don't think Braun will have much trouble leasing the space, as something that size in the center of activity on 19th doesn't become available very often.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

he former Chippendale's Antiques store on 19th Street at Rutland is being carved into three retail stores including a specialty sneaker chain based in California, Braun Enterprises announced.

"Nineteenth street already has tons of walking traffic and these stores will only add to it," said Zach Wolf of Braun Enterprises. 

The midcentury building's exterior will undergo a "light redevelopment" and will keep a fresh retro look, Wolf said. Construction will begin in the next 60 to 90 days after permits are secured.

Proper Shoes, a Long Beach, Calif., store dealing in classic sneakers and rare shoes, has leased 1,963 square feet.

Mary & Moss, a women's clothing and gift boutique, will occupy 1,147 square feet. It's a concept of Vanessa Wodehouse, owner of Big Blue Whale Toys.

Negotiations are underway to bring a dessert shop to the corner space, Wolf said.

The space at 250 West 19th Street is next to Shade restaurant.

A longtime fixture on 19th Street, the Chippendale Antiques co-op closed in October.

http://www.chron.com/business/real-estate/article/Heights-19th-Street-remodel-lands-Proper-store-10963249.php

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Originally posted July 23, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Chippendale Eastlake Antiques at 250 W 19th

Archival picture from Loopnet listing (Archived link)

55IEneM.jpg

Picture from The Leader in January showing Proper at 250 W 19th, Ste B
Wr9byrU.jpg
http://theleadernews.com/new-19th-street-tenant/

Originally posted July 23, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Marketing materials for Chippendale Eastlake Antiques at 250 W 19th St from Braun Enterprises. Taken from Loopnet

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19959014/250-W-19th-St-Houston-Heights-TX/

http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/B415844D-4E1C-4723-8B16-57B6C0882490.pdf

3SHILAy.jpg

On 2/27/2017 at 8:18 PM, Mab said:

The former Chippendale's Antiques store on 19th Street at Rutland is being carved into three retail stores including a specialty sneaker chain based in California, Braun Enterprises announced.

"Nineteenth street already has tons of walking traffic and these stores will only add to it," said Zach Wolf of Braun Enterprises. 

The midcentury building's exterior will undergo a "light redevelopment" and will keep a fresh retro look, Wolf said. Construction will begin in the next 60 to 90 days after permits are secured.

Proper Shoes, a Long Beach, Calif., store dealing in classic sneakers and rare shoes, has leased 1,963 square feet.

Mary & Moss, a women's clothing and gift boutique, will occupy 1,147 square feet. It's a concept of Vanessa Wodehouse, owner of Big Blue Whale Toys.

Negotiations are underway to bring a dessert shop to the corner space, Wolf said.

The space at 250 West 19th Street is next to Shade restaurant.

A longtime fixture on 19th Street, the Chippendale Antiques co-op closed in October.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Heights-19th-Street-remodel-lands-Proper-store-10963249.php

Site plan of 250 W 19th St, Suites B through D.

Proper, a Long Beach, Calif., store dealing in classic sneakers and rare shoes, has leased 1,963 square feet. It's opening in the fall.

https://www.instagram.com/properhtx

Mary & Moss, a women's clothing and gift boutique, will occupy 1,147 square feet at 250 W 19th St, Ste C. It's a concept of Vanessa Wodehouse, owner of Big Blue Whale Toys. It's opening this fall.

Negotiations are underway to bring a dessert shop to the corner space, at 250 W 19th St, Ste D, Wolf said.

bmDoyQ2.jpg

The dessert shop opening in the corner of 250 W 19th and Rutland will be an ice cream shop, shown on the site plan in the post above.  The address is 250 W 19th.  I heard it's Lee's Creamery from Lee Ellis of Lee's Fried Chicken & Donuts and Star Fish. Has anyone else heard this?

VL60GEA.jpg

More on Mary & Moss opening at 250 W 19th (old Chippendale Eastlake Antiques store) from The Leader:

The store will join Proper Shoes, a specialty sneaker chain based in California, at the site of the former Chippendale’s Antiques store, which was purchased by Braun Enterprises.

Woodhouse says that the current plan is for Mary & Moss to be 40 percent gifts, 30 percent clothes and 30 percent accessories. She’ll start looking for inventory next month.

...“I know what the traffic patterns are here,” Woodhouse said. “It was a safer bet. And the ease of being across the street is a bonus.”

Mary & Moss will be between Proper Shoes and a tobe named tenant who would fill the corner spot. Proper Shoes will be next to Shade restaurant. Woodhouse hopes to be open by the holidays of 2017.

More here:
http://theleadernews.com/woodhouse-opening-womens-clothing-boutique-on-19th/

250 W 19th is listed on Braun Enterprises website as 100% leased (archived link). That could mean the ice cream shop is Lee's Creamery. The 2,211 SF space in space D has been leased to Urban Float.

Updated site plan and map from flyer (archived link)

Uy0Zeey.jpg

Dfi7C68.jpg&

Originally posted July 24, 2017 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Looks as if Lee's Creamery is opening in the Chippendale Eastlake Antiques space at 250 W 19th.

From Eater Houston this morning:

Currently only available at Petite Sweets and Lee’s Fried Chicken & Donuts, restaurateur Lee Ellis’ Cherry Pie Hospitality is set to bring his creamy frozen treats to a standalone location in the Heights.

A tipster pointed Eater to permits filed for a remodel of the former Chippendale Eastlake Antiques building at 250 W. 19th Street, and all signs point to that location being the home of the very first outpost of Lee’s Creamery. With this latest addition, Ellis is continuing his takeover of the Heights, where he already operates Lee’s Fried Chicken & Donuts, Pi Pizza, and Star Fish.

https://houston.eater.com/2017/7/24/16017908/lees-creamery-heights-location

Originally posted August 27, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Update on the ice cream shop at 250 W 19th on the corner of Rutland in the Heights in Houston. It's no longer Lee's Creamery or Heights Creamery. It's Sweet Bribery.

From the "Lack of Restaurant Diversity in the Heights" thread:

I wonder whether transitioning Ellis and others out of the business is why the build out of Lee's Creamery on 19th and Rutland basically stopped in its tracks after being substantially built out.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-lack-of-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=572335

Spoke to soon.  Sign is up in the window for Sweet Bribery.  It will have ice cream, baked goods and boozy treats.  
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-lack-of-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=572369

Edited by CrockpotandGravel

Originally posted August 27, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

From the "Lack of Restaurant Diversity in the Heights" thread:

I wonder whether transitioning Ellis and others out of the business is why the build out of Lee's Creamery on 19th and Rutland basically stopped in its tracks after being substantially built out.
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-lack-of-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=572335

From Eater, Cherry Pie Hospitality are not opening Lee's Creamery or any ice cream retail store:

Cherry Pie Hospitality has abandoned plans to open Lee’s Creamery in the Heights, and now the restaurant group and its former partner Lee Ellis are involved in a legal battle related to the ice cream shop’s planned location.

More here: https://houston.eater.com/2018/8/7/17660728/cherry-pie-hospitality-lawsuit-lees-creamery-heights

On 8/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, CrockpotandGravel said:

Spoke to soon.  Sign is up in the window for Sweet Bribery.  It will have ice cream, baked goods and boozy treats.  
http://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/6065-lack-of-restaurant-diversity-in-the-heights/?do=findComment&comment=572369

From Eater Houston, here is who the ice cream shop may belong to:

As for what will become of the space at 250 West 19th, a new ice cream shop has already taken up residence. A tipster tells Eater that signage is up for Sweet Bribery, a “nostalgic” creamery that will serve wine and “adult floats.” Roost’s Kevin Naderi is linked to the project, but hasn’t announced when it will open just yet.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/8/7/17660728/cherry-pie-hospitality-lawsuit-lees-creamery-heights

Originally posted September 4, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

More on Sweet Bribery, the ice cream shop at 250 W 19th St in the Heights.

From Swamplot:

A recent tax filing reveals Sweet Bribery is the moniker of the corner ice cream shop Braun Enterprises is showing in its site plan for 250 W. 19th St. without daring to speak its name. It’s the last of the 5 new tenants that the developer’s been ushering into the former Chippendale Eastlake Antiques store since buying it in 2015. (One of which — an ice cream offshoot of Lee’s Fried Chicken & Donuts called Lee’s Creamery — appears no longer bound for the building.) Pictured above is the western flank it’d occupy, which backs up to Urban Float sensory deprivation spa’s entrance off Rutland St.

http://swamplot.com/sweet-bribery-is-the-final-ingredient-in-brauns-19th-st-antique-building-remix/2018-09-04/

Originally posted September 4, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Recent photos of what was Chippendale Eastlake Antiques and what's there now at 250 W 19th St.

Photos are from Swamplot.

qsJR8v5.jpg

amqCI8H.jpg

Originally posted September 5, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

On 9/4/2018 at 11:30 AM, Angostura said:

The artisanal ice cream places are trying to catch up to the burger places. Fat Cat, Dolce Neive, Gelazzi, Cloud 10, and now Sweet Bribery.

Looks like it.

Sweet Bribery, 250 W 19th St will have this:

From Eater Houston

More details have emerged on Sweet Bribery, the ice cream shop that will replace the doomed Lee’s Creamery in the Heights. A job posting to Poached indicates that it will be a “nostalgic” ice cream shop that will serve scoops in fresh waffle cones, plus “wine and beer ice cream cocktails.” The shop is hiring “ASAP,” but no word yet on when it will open.

https://houston.eater.com/2018/9/5/17822152/houston-restaurant-news-september-2018

The link in the article also says there will be champagne floats.

Originally posted September 14, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Sweet Bribery, 250 W 19th St, Suite E in Houston opens today.

From The Leader:

Pastry chef Sharon Gofreed got married three weeks ago to become Sharon Leonard and that’s not the only big change in her life. This weekend is also the soft opening for Sweet Bribery, the pastry and ice-cream shop she is opening with other investors at 250 W. 19th St.

The site of the former Chippendale Eastlake Antiques store was purchased by Braun Enterprises in 2015. Clothing stores Mary & Moss and Proper are already open next to Sweet Bribery.

Leonard was previously the pastry chef at State of Grace, the JW Marriott Houston and Uchi. She says that she’s very excited for this newest endeavor and that most everything is being made in house.

“There is something for every member of the family,” said Leonard. “Sweets for the kids with premium ice cream and toppings and superior products for parents as well. I am so proud of what we are offering. We won’t be your average ice-cream shop.”

http://theleadernews.com/sweet-bribery-opens-on-19th-street/

Originally posted September 14, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

CultureMap on Sweet Bribery, 250 W 19th St, Suite E in Houston:

Summer may be winding down, but Houstonians will eat ice cream year-round. Beginning September 14, they’ll have a new option in The Heights for a full range of sweet treats when Sweet Bribery opens its doors.

Pastry chef Sharon Leonard (formerly Gofreed) has brought her talents to the shop at 250 W. 19th St that's part of local real estate developer Braun Enterprises' repurposing of the former Chippendale Eastlake Antiques store. Diners should recognize the CultureMap Tastemaker Awards Pastry Chef of the Year finalist from her work at Uchi, Main Kitchen at the JW Marriott downtown, and, mostly recently, State of Grace. Roost chef-owner Kevin Naderi has been linked to the project as a consultant, but all of the recipes are Leonard’s.

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/09-13-18-sweet-bribery-heights-ice-cream-dessert-shop-19th-street-sharon-leonard-state-of-grace

Originally posted September 29, 2018 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Photos of Sweet Bribery's interior and exterior.

qNOzExv.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BoTBKuDBebY

goaMiDx.jpg
From Yelp

Originally posted February 26, 2019 in this thread before all of my content were removed from the entire forum earlier this month. Reposting this throws off the flow of the thread (i.e. out of order),  still, it may be helpful for visitors to see what was previously discussed or shared before. An archive link of the entire thread before my posts were removed October 5.

Photo of Sweet Bribery's signage. I don't know when this went up, but it must have been within the last three months. It's where the old Chippendale Eastlake Antiques' signage was placed.GCsCsPq.jpg
Photo from Yelp

• The title was changed to Chippendale Eastlake Antiques At 250 W. 19th St.
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

Craft Creamery is partnering with Sweet Bribery in the Heights to form Sweet Bribery by Craft Creamery. There you'll find Craft Creamery's "cult favorites, like Peanut Butter Stracciatella, Miso Caramel, Bastani, and more." Sweet Bribery by Craft Creamery is located at 250 W 19th St, Suite E.

The scoop shop recently announced its Montrose location at 1338 Westheimer is closing this weekend.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Cw3LMLdJ0f9/

https://houston.eater.com/2023/9/6/23861667/houston-ice-cream-chef-steve-marques-craft-creamery-sweet-bribery-openings-closings

• 1 month later...

A beauty salon / hair salon is replacing clothing boutique Chosen by Oak and Sparrow. According to permits, the address is 250 W 19th St, Suite B. The unit was also home to Mary and Moss.

The beauty salon is one of several tenants in the retail strip at 238 W 19th St-250 W 19th St.

A plumbing permit was filed for 250 W 19th St, Ste B yesterday:

aO02klF.png

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 11/4/2023 at 9:20 PM, IntheKnowHouston said:

A beauty salon / hair salon is replacing clothing boutique Chosen by Oak and Sparrow. According to permits, the address is 250 W 19th St, Suite B. The unit was also home to Mary and Moss.

The business at 250 W 19th St, Suite B is Sugared + Bronzed. It's a hair removal and sunless tanning salon.

Sugared + Bronzed is located in the small shopping hub at 238 W 19th St-250 W 19th St.

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

Leasing material for 238-250 W 19th St is published on Shop Companies' web site.  I'm unsure when the brochure was uploaded, but it appears recent.

238 W 19th St and 250 W 19th St consists of several shops. According to the brochure, the following units are available for lease: 

• 250 W 19th St, Suite A (Unit 100 - 3,764 sf)

• 250 W 19th St, Suite E (Unit 500 - 1,302 sf)

• Unit 250-10 (1,089 sf)

Additional details:

• Located in the historic downtown Houston Heights, 238-250 W 19th is a well curated mix of boutiques, service and restaurant offerings. Anchored by the vintage Heights Theater, W 19th is one of the most electric and funky streets in Houston.

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/238-250-w-19th-street

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/238-250-w-19th-street

https://www.crexi.com/lease/properties/437471/texas-238250-w-19th-street

The maps included in the leasing brochure are outdated:

OO4mkHB.jpg

ABpxDND.jpg

25 minutes ago, IntheKnowHouston said:

Leasing material for 238-250 W 19th St is published on Shop Companies' web site.  I'm unsure when the brochure was uploaded, but it appears recent.

238 W 19th St and 250 W 19th St consists of several shops. According to the brochure, the following units are available for lease: 

• Unit 250-10 (1,089 sf)

The site plan included in recent marketing materials for 238-250 W 19th St appears to show some forthcoming closures. I'm not sure when the site plan was updated.

I think Asana Partners owns this mini shopping hub.

The site plan shows the following units available for lease:

• Unit 250-10 (1,089 sf)

Alice Blue currently occupies 250 W 19th St, Ste A. Alice Blue, a local restaurant from chef Claire Smith.

Sweet Bribery by Craft Creamery occupies 250 W 19th St, Ste E.

Tenants listed on the site plan include:

• Sugared + Bronzed - 250 W 19th St, Ste B

• Proper - 250 W 19th St, Ste C

•  Dance House Fitness - 246 W 19th St

• Cutthroat Barbers - 244 W 19th St

• Boomtown Coffee - 242 W 19th St

• Heights Cigar Lounge - 240 W 19th St

• Modern Animal - 238 W 19th St, Suite A-B

• H&R Block - 238 W 19th St, Suite C

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/238-250-w-19th-street

https://shopcompanies.com/properties/pdf/238-250-w-19th-street

Edited by IntheKnowHouston

@Urbannizer @Triton and other moderators: Please consider merging this topic with the ongoing one for the collection of shops at 238-250 W 19th St.

This business is one of the tenants for 238-250 W 19th St.

Below is the topic for 238-250 W 19th St:

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/topic/35853-chippendale-eastlake-antiques-at-250-w-19th-st/