Thoughts on Overtime Rule

Esther

Cripple small business? How so? Paying people for the hours that they actually worked. How can that be crippling? Sounds like fair and sound business practice to me. Would you want to do business with a company that cheats it's employees? You don't think they would just as easily cheat their customers?

I think we have to understand that there are just some businesses where employees just have to work over 40 hours a week, and they always have done so. Now that they are being forced to pay for the extra time, I think that's what is going to be 'crippling' for them. 

I think this is going to benefit only a few people. Some of us have been happy to work over 40 hours, and be able to take time off for other things whenever we pleased, or catch up on work at home, but now it's going to be really hard having to keep track of all the hours worked and all that.

As someone who's signed a bunch of paychecks over the years, and who started out at minimum wage back when you could live on it, I've always been pretty pis annoyed by the jackasses who steal from their employees by underpaying them.  

It's amazing how well it works to pay someone well, respect them, and expect a fair day's work for a fair day's wage and a bit of respect in return.  It tends to satisfy the customers, as well.

12 hours ago, mollusk said:

As someone who's signed a bunch of paychecks over the years, and who started out at minimum wage back when you could live on it, I've always been pretty pis annoyed by the jackasses who steal from their employees by underpaying them.  

It's amazing how well it works to pay someone well, respect them, and expect a fair day's work for a fair day's wage and a bit of respect in return.  It tends to satisfy the customers, as well.

Well said.

Archived