How Much Would You Spend?

Can you define the specs that are "top of the line" and also define if you want a big gaming machine or a machine to type word docs and surf the net.

But, the short answer is "YES".   Top of the line stuff -  fastest/newest CPU, fastest/newest graphics engines, largest high res monitors, huge drive arrays, WILL be more expensive than that buy several multiples.

what do you want?  A laptop to run word and excel and chrome?  You can easily do that for $500.

I usually budget about $1500 to build a really good pc, then use it for 8 to 10 years. That's for a desktop machine with a good video card, a CPU in the $400 range, a couple of disk drives and a good power supply and cooling fan for the cpu. $500 gets you an adequate machine.

I usually buy refurb machines that are just a couple of years old on either ebay or at microcenter.  Most are in the $200 range but I just dropped $500 on an i7 with graphics card and 12gb of memory.  I keep them until they stop working which has been 7 to 8 years on avg.

13 hours ago, august948 said:

I usually buy refurb machines that are just a couple of years old on either ebay or at microcenter.  Most are in the $200 range but I just dropped $500 on an i7 with graphics card and 12gb of memory.  I keep them until they stop working which has been 7 to 8 years on avg.

I've had mixed luck with the refurb machines at MicroCenter. The first one I bought several years ago is still going strong after I bumped the RAM to 16GB, but the second one (bought as a gift for a relative) started crashing regularly shortly after purchasing it. It was covered under warranty, so we shipped it to HP and they serviced it, but the same problem kept recurring. Wound up replacing several major components (including the motherboard) before essentially giving up on it. I still think this was an anomaly, and would buy another refurb as the prices are hard to beat and the chances of getting a bad one are relatively low.

The main issue with low-end and mid-range off-the-shelf consumer-grade PCs tends to be the power supplies - most of them are just barely adequate for running the machines in their existing configurations, and if you start trying to beef up video performance by adding a decent video card, you're going to have to upgrade the power supply first. 

6 hours ago, Mad Stan said:

I game a lot so yes powerful CPU and GPU is a must. $1500 for a custom PC.

What sort of games are you playing and which ones tax it the most?  Reason I ask is I bought the $500 refurb machine specifically to replace my old dead xp gaming pc.  So far, with some limited play, it's performed admirably but I'd like to really put it to the test. 

That is precisely the reason why I would not want to go for a refurbished machine if I could afford a new one. I wouldn't want to have to 'limit' my time on my laptop just because it couldn't handle the load. As a fellow gamer, I want something that is fast and reliable. 

1 hour ago, Leanne said:

That is precisely the reason why I would not want to go for a refurbished machine if I could afford a new one. I wouldn't want to have to 'limit' my time on my laptop just because it couldn't handle the load. As a fellow gamer, I want something that is fast and reliable. 

Ahhh...a laptop's a different animal when it comes to gaming.  $1,500 is probably reasonable in that case.  My $500 machine is a desktop.

I think all my fellow gamers out there will agree that when it comes to getting the best gaming experience, you just can't look at the price of the laptop. It's worth it to pay that extra to get the perfect graphics and sound and performance. 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/8/2016 at 9:19 PM, august948 said:

What sort of games are you playing and which ones tax it the most?  Reason I ask is I bought the $500 refurb machine specifically to replace my old dead xp gaming pc.  So far, with some limited play, it's performed admirably but I'd like to really put it to the test. 

CoD, BF4.. pretty much the latest in PC gaming. I built my rig in 2013 and I can still play the latest games at high settings @ 1080p. 

• 4 months later...

For gaming I've only ever built my computers. I'd always get the top of the line asus MB and throw higher end components at it, it was always a bit more reasonable in price that way, and very capable. 

granted it's been 10 years since I did that. I'm due to build a new one, I just haven't been motivated to do it, this little microsoft surface is doing everything I need out of a computer right now.

• 1 year later...

Archived