How Important Is It?

SirJac

I am a white Anglo-Saxon and I have a question. How important is it to others like me that a city is culturally diverse?

One more question: How important do you think it is to other cultures, that a city be culturally diverse?

And, do you think the answers from all cultures will be roughly the same?

Discuss.

53 minutes ago, UtterlyUrban said:

and the "stuff" that has, and likely will continue to, make us great.

I hear that all the time but no one ever explains exactly how this makes us great. In terms only of being diverse, how are we better than, say, Tibet? Do we have some enlightened sense of how the world works that other, less diverse cultures, don't have? And if so, why are we still one of the most divisive countries in the world? Meaning that we still have discussions and social tensions between the whites and blacks. And we still seem to think that mexicans are taking our jobs. I could go on, but you get the point.

Don't get me wrong, I love America. But if you're going to sing its praises, please give us the meaning of the song.

I will answer your question the best I can (from my perspective) by asking another question:

how would sealing the borders, allowing no immigration, etc IMPROVE things?

what troubles me is  that you asked a question on multi-culturalism but seemlingly later defined it as a race-relations issue.  White Americans and Black Americans are not multi-cultural.  They are both Americians with (sometimes) different views on things.

and, can you show me where America is "one of the most devisive" countries in the world?  Is there something that can back that statement up (other than your belief)?  I would suggest to you that what you sense in this regard is, in my opinion, the manifestation of a viable Constitition that allows folks - even folks with a world view totally different than many - to say what they wish.  And that allows our society to move forward, unlike many.

• 2 weeks later...

Being one of the most divisive countries in the world comes with the territory when you are the melting pot of all cultures that want to come here. People become divisive when they close themselves off from acclimating with other cultures. Blacks and whites can all be born here, but we, at some point, came from different cultures and we live our lives with that as a base.

You can mix people in the same country all you want, but you can't erase their heritage. That's all and fine, but when people want to live as if their heritage is better than others.......you have divisiveness between cultures.

It is what it is.

On 10/30/2016 at 2:17 PM, UtterlyUrban said:

I will answer your question the best I can (from my perspective) by asking another question:

how would sealing the borders, allowing no immigration, etc IMPROVE things?

In this particular instance, you can make an economic argument that not closely managing immigration increases labor supply.  That in turn depresses wages and increases unemployment.

5 hours ago, august948 said:

In this particular instance, you can make an economic argument that not closely managing immigration increases labor supply.  That in turn depresses wages and increases unemployment.

The question was about multi-culturalism.  The only way to have a society (like "Tibet" according to the poster) that has zero immigrants, is to seal the boarder to LEGAL and ILLEGAL immigrants alike.  

I was not commenting on illegal immigration.  Rather, i was commenting on a society that has effectively no immigration whatsoever.  In that case, the economic arguement that you (correctly) describe is reversed.  With NO LEGAL immigration, the workforce can actually decline in industrial societies (Japan is facing this now) and the talent pool can begin to thin out......

Archived