Poe Gives Updates On Katrina Legislation

pineda

Press Release from U.S. Congressman Judge Ted Poe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit Our Website

www.house.gov/poe

Congressional Offices

1605 Longworth HOB

Washington, DC 20515

202.225.5547 fax

2615 Calder

Ste. 100

Beaumont, TX 77702

409.212.8711 fax

20202 U.S. Hwy 59 N.

Suite 105

Humble, TX 77338

281.446.0252 fax

Legislative Update, September 9

The devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina weighs heavily on the hearts and minds of all Americans. I would like to send my deepest sympathies to those that have been affected by this tragedy.

If you would like to help the relief effort, please contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-HELP-NOW or the Salvation Army at 1-800-SAL-ARMY. You can find a more extensive list of charitable and relief organizations by visiting my website at http://www.house.gov/poe/hurricanekatrina.htm.

Legislation

The House of Representatives has begun passing legislation in support of the Katrina relief effort.

Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act - Appropriates an additional $10.5 billion for hurricane relief efforts.

Pell Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act - Authorizes the Secretary of Education to waive requirements for Pell Grant repayments if a student withdraws from a college or university due to a disaster.

Student Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act - Authorizes the Secretary of Education to waive certain requirements for repayment of federal student grant assistance for those students directly affected by a major disaster.

Emergency Response and Recovery Act of 2005 - To provide assistance to families affected by Hurricane Katrina, through the program of block grants to States for temporary assistance for needy families.

Second Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act - Appropriates an additional $50 billion for hurricane relief efforts.

Floor Statements

I was privileged to speak from the House floor this week in honor of our neighbors in Louisiana, and the Texas State and National Guard. I also spoke in remembrance of the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. You can see the videos of these speeches by visiting www.house.gov/poe/av.htm.

Upcoming Schedule

I will be in Texas this weekend. Much of my time will be spent visiting with evacuees and working with local officials in the hurricane relief effort. On September 11, I will be attending several remembrance ceremonies

Friday, September 9

I will be visiting the following evacuee shelters:

George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston

New Life Church, La Porte

Second Baptist Church, Baytown

Holy Family Catholic Church, Baytown

Quality Inn, Baytown

Calvary Baptist Church, Beaumont

The Salvation Army, Beaumont

Shepherd's Inn, Port Arthur

Press Release from U.S. Congressman Judge Ted Poe

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Visit Our Website

www.house.gov/poe

Congressional Offices

1605 Longworth HOB

Washington, DC 20515

202.225.5547 fax

2615 Calder

Ste. 100

Beaumont, TX 77702

409.212.8711 fax

20202 U.S. Hwy 59 N.

Suite 105

Humble, TX 77338

281.446.0252 fax

Legislative Update, September 9

The devastation caused by Hurricane Katrina weighs heavily on the hearts and minds of all Americans. I would like to send my deepest sympathies to those that have been affected by this tragedy.

If you would like to help the relief effort, please contact the American Red Cross at 1-800-HELP-NOW or the Salvation Army at 1-800-SAL-ARMY. You can find a more extensive list of charitable and relief organizations by visiting my website at http://www.house.gov/poe/hurricanekatrina.htm.

Legislation

The House of Representatives has begun passing legislation in support of the Katrina relief effort.

Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act - Appropriates an additional $10.5 billion for hurricane relief efforts.

Pell Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act - Authorizes the Secretary of Education to waive requirements for Pell Grant repayments if a student withdraws from a college or university due to a disaster.

Student Grant Hurricane and Disaster Relief Act - Authorizes the Secretary of Education to waive certain requirements for repayment of federal student grant assistance for those students directly affected by a major disaster.

Emergency Response and Recovery Act of 2005 - To provide assistance to families affected by Hurricane Katrina, through the program of block grants to States for temporary assistance for needy families.

Second Emergency Supplemental Appropriations Act - Appropriates an additional $50 billion for hurricane relief efforts.

Floor Statements

I was privileged to speak from the House floor this week in honor of our neighbors in Louisiana, and the Texas State and National Guard. I also spoke in remembrance of the Galveston Hurricane of 1900. You can see the videos of these speeches by visiting www.house.gov/poe/av.htm.

Upcoming Schedule

I will be in Texas this weekend. Much of my time will be spent visiting with evacuees and working with local officials in the hurricane relief effort. On September 11, I will be attending several remembrance ceremonies

Friday, September 9

I will be visiting the following evacuee shelters:

George R. Brown Convention Center, Houston

New Life Church, La Porte

Second Baptist Church, Baytown

Holy Family Catholic Church, Baytown

Quality Inn, Baytown

Calvary Baptist Church, Beaumont

The Salvation Army, Beaumont

Shepherd's Inn, Port Arthur

A typical Republican. Never misses a chance to score political points.

Archived