Waco Development

ew2003

Interested to see if anyone else follows development in Waco.  There's quite a bit of development on the west side of I-35 between Baylor and downtown.  Chime in if you have any interest!  

Noticed an Aloft hotel is proposed to be built near a planned La Quinta del Sol prototype.  

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/gospel-cafe-watches-as-neighborhood-cleared-for-new-development/article_ed805d94-4e73-5217-998d-6788afaa67c9.html?mode=story&photo=4

Also there's been talk of a riverfront development for quite some time.

http://www.kwtx.com/content/news/Waco-New-design-plans-presented-for-riverfront-development-395921701.html

wacoaloft.jpg

• 1 year later...

If you're a baylor folk, on the sicem365 boards there's lots of waco development discussion. Amazing how much the town city has changed in the last 10 years. 

There are a couple large office building developments in the works. AT&T has been reported to be one of the potential tenants. Could this be a clue?  

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/business/waco-among-cities-to-get-at-t-mobile-g-service/article_c124f87e-06f1-5b9d-87cc-075786330f17.html

• 4 years later...

Surprised this thread hasn't gotten more attention over the years since there's been a lot happening development-wise, especially between downtown and the Baylor campus. My family and I come through town every 6 months or so and I've been impressed with the pace of things.

I'm interested to see what will become of the riverfront development they've been working on. I know the apartments are underway but am wondering about the plans to add a hotel on the river as part of it. I was somewhat disappointed when the Drury Plaza disappeared from those plans but hopefully another flag could come in.

Baylor's Welcome Center on University Parks at 35 is the big attention-grabber at this point, even if it is still under construction. 

351040.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

We were there this weekend for homecoming and University Parks was torn up a few blocks west of I35.  Lot's of new construction going on there as well with the underpasses on I35.  The circle seems to be a sad ghost of itself, though, compared to the '80s when we were in school.

• 2 months later...

https://otj.com/projects/the-brazos-gateway/

Waco, Texas, is a burgeoning city in the throes of a metropolitan renaissance. Replete with lush parks, historical attractions, and world-class performing arts venues, the city will also soon be home to The Brazos Gateway, a transformative mixed-use community designed by OTJ Architects in collaboration with Delineator Landscape Design and located minutes away from the city’s downtown district.

Adjacent to McClane Stadium and the highly trafficked 1-35 passage, this multi-phase development promises to complete the city’s iconic Gateway and expand upon a new riverwalk. Complete with residential, retail, and office components, the four buildings that comprise The Brazos Gateway will feature the city’s tallest structure and appeal to an increasingly discerning demographic of urban professionals eager to enjoy curated amenities set against a verdant backdrop. The project’s first phase is articulated to surround a central spine comprised of a landscaped public destination with generous and continuous pedestrian zones adjacent to ground-level retail. The building’s façade is designed with consideration of the Texas heat and leverages solid panels as well as balconies to provide shade and temperature control. The proposed rooftop will feature a pool and deck for use by residents as well as amenity spaces with oversized television screens and full stadium visibility – venues sure to become go-to destinations for game-day festivities. OTJ is currently working in partnership with Dallas-based RLG Civil Engineering on the planning entitlement of the project. The Brazos Gateway is scheduled for delivery summer of 2026.

Brazos+Gateway_OTJ_DELINEATOR+-+SOUTH+VI

16.9_HL_Brazos-1.jpg

Brazos+Gateway_OTJ_DELINEATOR+-+SOUTH+EN

v08.jpg?format=1500w

• Like 6

• 3 months later...

Update

https://www.kwtx.com/2023/04/29/city-waco-approves-zoning-that-would-allow-30-story-high-rise-brazos/

WACO, Texas (KWTX) - The city of Waco has approved to consider building a multi-purpose high rise building in East Waco. 

The Brazos Gateway Tower project is in its beginning stage but it could bring residential and retail opportunities for the area.

Currently, all that has been approved for Brazos at Waco LLC, a DFW based company, is the zoning for the potential project. 

They still have several meetings with the city to fully approve the project, but if given the green light the move forward they would break ground at the intersection of S. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. off the I-35 Frontage Road.

• Like 3