Retail Center At 3100 Fannin St.

Mab

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:45 PM, Ross said:

It's already legal to use deadly force to protect your property, and during the hours of darkness, you can use deadly force to stop criminal mischief, which includes things like stealing hubcaps.

Does the property have to belong to the person using deadly force, or is an option for anyone?
Purely hypothetical question, of course, but I'm getting tired of seeing people's cars being broken into, and my Van Damme days are over.

10 hours ago, Michael Lewis said:

@j_cuevas713 Bring your voice to the Midtown Public Safety Committee meetings.

The next meeting is Tuesday July 17 @ 11:30 AM to 2:30 PM.  410 Pierce St. suite 355
It took quite a lot of digging to find that information; their website is crap.
I wonder why the Public Safety Committee can't assemble at a time that's less inconvenient for the vast majority of concerned citizens.

20 hours ago, dbigtex56 said:

Does the property have to belong to the person using deadly force, or is an option for anyone?
Purely hypothetical question, of course, but I'm getting tired of seeing people's cars being broken into, and my Van Damme days are over.

IANAL, but the law says you can use deadly force to prevent criminal mischief in the nighttime. The statute also says you can use deadly force to protect the property of others. Personally, I am not likely to shoot a car thief/burglar. If you kill someone, the case goes in front of a grand jury, since that's the law. It can cost you $10k even if you get no-billed.All bets are off if they are inside my house, though.

On 7/5/2018 at 9:46 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I swear if this city doesn't get this mess in Midtown under control I'm going to lose my mind. I recently got in to it with a homeless man in the area because I didn't want to give him money. Long story short I told him to go **** himself.

Sorry that happened to you.

i have personally stopped calling these folks “homeless” as that is a euphemism.  The word I now use is either “addict” or “mentally ill” (depending on the person).   While I am certain that there are good, hardworking men and women who hit a rough patch and find themselves on the street, I have yet to encounter one.  Rather, I encounter addicts and mentally ill.

5 hours ago, Ross said:

IANAL, but the law says you can use deadly force to prevent criminal mischief in the nighttime. The statute also says you can use deadly force to protect the property of others. Personally, I am not likely to shoot a car thief/burglar. If you kill someone, the case goes in front of a grand jury, since that's the law. It can cost you $10k even if you get no-billed.All bets are off if they are inside my house, though.

Thanks for the info.
On a side note, I thought IANAL would make a great license plate.
For some reason, TDPS refused my request.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

Details on Two Headed Dog, the cocktail bar coming to 3100 Fannin in Houston.

I somehow missed the previous posts about this place, but that CultureMap piece certainly makes it sound promising. Any establishment that's named after a Roky Erickson song automatically has some credibility right from the get-go.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • The title was changed to 3100 Fannin St.
  • The title was changed to Retail Center At 3100 Fannin St.

Archived