Oil!

H-Town Man

There is one thing that OPEC has proven, time and again, that it is terrible at:. Sticking to production quotas.

i guess I could say that more positively.......

there is is one thing that OPEC members are extremely good at doing: cheating the production quota system.

there.

either way, with Russia pumping freely and non-OPEC sources (including the US) pumping freely,  the ability of OPEC to set supply (and price) over the long-term is becoming increasingly irrelevant.  

Not too long ago, I read an article about the US oil patch.  Fields that were thought to be unprofitable at certain price points have shown themselves to be profitable after companies innovated and removed costs.  This Saudi-led 2 year OPEC experiment has allowed producers around the world the time to innovate.  Two years ago, OPEC decided to play Russian Roulette with the rest of the world.  What they didn't realize at the time was that the revolver had 6 bullets in it and they were taking the first turn.

8 hours ago, htownboy said:

I also wish and pray that the suburban campuses burn to the ground. No casualties, of course.

The suburban campuses are far better and nicer than any downtown high rise could ever hope to be.  More flexible as well. Downtown isnt the end all, be all location.

1 hour ago, Ross said:

The suburban campuses are far better and nicer than any downtown high rise could ever hope to be.  More flexible as well. Downtown isnt the end all, be all location.

A dissenting opinion? This cannot be allowed. :)  It's common knowledge that everyone wants to live in a small apartment downtown, ride a bike to work and eat wheat grass.

Seriously, I've worked in both and I prefer downtown but there are a LOT of people who don't agree with me. Often it seems that HAIF doesn't believe those people exist and that anything that doesn't drive everyone to live downtown is an evil conspiracy by Culbertson to destroy the world.

1 hour ago, jgriff said:

A dissenting opinion? This cannot be allowed. :)  It's common knowledge that everyone wants to live in a small apartment downtown, ride a bike to work and eat wheat grass.

Seriously, I've worked in both and I prefer downtown but there are a LOT of people who don't agree with me. Often it seems that HAIF doesn't believe those people exist and that anything that doesn't drive everyone to live downtown is an evil conspiracy by Culbertson to destroy the world.

It is a bit sad that HAIF has subscribed to groupthink that often plagues large forums, a majority opinion is formed, and that becomes "enforced" as dissenters are ganged up on and eventually driven out.

6 hours ago, jgriff said:

Indeed. I haven't lived outside the loop in close to 35 years, but there is no denying that there are a lot of people who are very happy living in, for example, Cinco Ranch, not least because they'd never be able to afford the big, new house they have there anywhere near downtown. Not too surprising that very few of those people post here, given the scorn that is casually heaped upon the heads of those benighted enough to actually prefer life in "Katyville".

1 hour ago, mkultra25 said:

Indeed. I haven't lived outside the loop in close to 35 years, but there is no denying that there are a lot of people who are very happy living in, for example, Cinco Ranch, not least because they'd never be able to afford the big, new house they have there anywhere near downtown. Not too surprising that very few of those people post here, given the scorn that is casually heaped upon the heads of those benighted enough to actually prefer life in "Katyville".

I live inside the Loop in a relatively small house, and prefer a campus style environment to a downtown highrise. The campus settings are more relaxed, more pedestrian friendly, and have better amenities.

This really isn't a value judgment.

I live inside the Loop in a fairly small house (and have to play Musical Cars from time to time because of the narrow driveway).  I prefer a downtown highrise to a suburban campus.  I've paid the rent check for both.  There's an energy downtown, it's difficult to imagine anything much more pedestrian friendly than a wide variety of things within an easy walk (as in, lunch doesn't have to be a car trip if you want something different), and that also qualifies as a pretty good set of amenities.  Granted, cab and bus drivers aren't particularly pedestrian friendly.  Think of them as aerobic encouragement. 

Some people like yellow, some people like green... though the people who like yellow are prolly a bit suspicious around the edges. :mellow:

To me, the definition of heaven is not spending 2 hours every day sitting in a vehicle cursing the traffic but rather simply walking to work (and most everywhere else).

i am astonished by the number of people who I know personally who live in Sugarville, Katyville, Woodville, or Kingville who complain daily about the traffic in those places and around the rest of the city.  Many want to move in close but the perceived quality of the schools for their kids keep them there.

9 hours ago, UtterlyUrban said:

To me, the definition of heaven is not spending 2 hours every day sitting in a vehicle cursing the traffic but rather simply walking to work (and most everywhere else).

i am astonished by the number of people who I know personally who live in Sugarville, Katyville, Woodville, or Kingville who complain daily about the traffic in those places and around the rest of the city.  Many want to move in close but the perceived quality of the schools for their kids keep them there.

Self-driving cars will go a long way towards mitigating that problem.  Traffic will still be there but instead of cursing it you can sleep through it (or netflix through it).

6 hours ago, cspwal said:

Someone at my office commutes from Cleveland everyday.  That would drive me insane after a week.

And no I don't work on the northside

I've known people who do that sort of thing and they're usually trading a long commute for a country lifestyle on a big piece of land.  Not for everyone but I can see the perks.

Yes, downtown living isn't for everyone. 

That said, an office downtown gives workers way more options for living than the Energy Corridor. Downtown, Midtown, EaDo, etc... give people who want urban living/transit options; options. Downtown also gives people the choice to choose Cypress, Katy, Pearland, Kingwood, The Woodlands, or Clear Lake for the suburb of choice without too much trouble. Plus, some of those places offer park and ride options as well.

I'd imagine the Shell worker who lives in Clear Lake might be a bit pissed right now. His/her options are to sell and possibly move children from schools or doubling their commute. 

I know a handful of Exxon Mobil folks who quit when the mother ship opened. Selling wasn't an option and they had zero desire to commute 2-3 hours a day. 

Archived