Royal Dixon Mansion At 1310 Truxillo St.

Brandon

I am researching Houston author Royal Dixon, who lived at 1310 Truxillo from 1934 to 1962, when he died.   His partner, artist Chester Snowden continued to live there until his death in 1984.  I'm hoping to find a photo of their home, nicknamed Camellia Place.    Dixon has a popular naturalist, and four books made a popular lecturer in the 1910's - 1940's.  Photos are of his popular four "Human Side Of" series, a lecturer ad, Chester and ?? somewhere on the grounds, and a sketch by Chester of "The Patio".

1914.jpg

1926.jpg

1950 (2).jpg

14292335_10153924242662965_3050970947474873189_n.jpg

Thanks for your response!    I have checked Google Street View, and also photographed the house.   HCAD indicates it was renovated in 2001.  I'm assuming that they added standard siding.    I think the original house was probably much more rustic.    It is the same house, just looks different.    Now that I think of it, HCAD lists the owners.   I guess I could write them and see if any original photos of the structure were passed along to them when they bought it.  

I can't help but think that the local papers may have done a photo shoot there back when the men were society figures - enough so that the local paper ran a news item in 1934 when they moved in.    Might even have been on a home tour at some point.    But all the papers have databases that one has to subscribe to, and I was hoping by some stroke of fortune someone on the list might know where a good place to look for period photographs would be.   

1934 Setp 11.JPG

DSC04593.JPG

1934 (2).JPG

• 2 years later...

Hello Brandon, I hope you find this message 3 years after your original post. Royal Dixon is my 3rd Great Uncle, of whom I’ve been trying to uncover more about. I would love to read the article you wrote, could you share? 

I look forward to hearing back from you!

• The title was changed to Royal Dixon Mansion At 1310 Truxillo St.

Archived