La Colombe d'Or Hotel At 3410 Montrose Blvd.

Urbannizer

• Replies 484
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, bobruss said:

I'm sorry, but not sure I understand  what

6.0  FAR cap

means.

Do you mind clarifying for me.

Thanks

Floor Area Ratio (FAR) is basically the ratio of the usable sf of the floor area of a building to the area of the lot it is built on. 

a cap at 6.0 would mean you couldn't build any denser than that ratio.  this is often set by zoning, which we don't have, so i'm not sure how this would be implemented in this city.

Edited by Evil Developer
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Evil Developer said:

Floor Area Ratio (FAR) is basically the ratio of the usable sf of the floor area of a building to the area of the lot it is built on. 

a cap at 6.0 would mean you couldn't build any denser than that ratio.  this is often set by zoning, which we don't have, so i'm not sure how this would be implemented in this city.

I know we don't have proper zoning but don't our ordinances operate in a similar way? 

• Like 1

We don't have use-classification zoning, but we do have a bunch of rules (minimum lot sizes, minimum setbacks, etc.) that achieve some of the same things. We'll also have FAR caps in historic districts in the very near future.

That said, I was only saying I wouldn't mind a height cap if we could get rid of some other stuff that artificially limits density. And since eliminating parking minimums isn't even within the realm of possibility (not even the Walkable Places committee is considering it) it doesn't need to be feasible to implement height restrictions in return.

On 1/31/2018 at 10:56 AM, bobruss said:

Tell that to the people in Uptown, the galleria, the med center, Upper Kirby, The museum district and the energy corridor.

Its what happens in a city of 6 million with no zoning. But you don't have to worry about that in West U. Your pretty insulated for now. 

Just wait until the high rises start moving down Kirby. Montrose has had high rises fronting it for the last 50 years.

Just because its happened before or will continue to happen, doesn't keep it from being a negative for those that lived there first. 

• Like 1

I didn't say it was necessarily a good thing and I understand your feelings, but I think you have to realize that without zoning we're faced with this forever. Look at any city that has seen large growth spurts and you will see incredible amounts of change, disruption, and total redevelopment of inner city areas all over the globe.

One of the other things that has happened in Houston is sprawl due to the fact that there is nothing but prairie for miles and miles.

Its kept housing costs down but its created sprawl that adds to our problems with transit, infrastructure and governance. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

They see replattin 
They hatin
Bulldozin, they tryin to catch me buildin dirty
Tryin to catch me buildin dirty

Townhouse is goin up
I'm swangin