Why This? Why Here?

I'm a big fan of technology and technology web sites.

The problem is that so many have strayed from their purpose of discussing new technology, innovations, computers, and gadgets. These days too many of the large tech sites are all about social issues, bashing America, global warming, politics, and other non-tech related subjects (I'm lookng at you, Slashdot!) I felt like there wasn't any place left on the internet for people to talk about neat projects and gizmos and things on the horizon. Everything is just a blog linking to another blog linking to another blog (Gizmodo!), page after page of ads (Tom's Hardware!) or covering things that I just don't care about (Ars!).

Then I thought, "I wish I had my own forum where I could discuss things I like."

And then I thought, "I do!"

And here it is.

• 8 years later...

What I find both exciting and terrifying are the implications of "big data".  For example, Nordstrom recently admitted that they were using store cameras to track shoppers, identify them by age group and gender, and then track their walking patterns through the store to improve their placement of merchandise.  I'm fine with targeted marketing, but...

No doubt. With existing technology someone with the right resources can use facial recognition software and related technologies to track you and your vehicle wherever there's a camera (which is pretty much everywhere in a city). Got a toll tag? You're trackable. Got a smartphone? You're trackable. All they really need to do it right now is access.

I agree. Seems like its just a matter of time before they start issuing speeding tickets on the toll roads based on the scan times at the different stations.

Or based on info gained from those tracking devices insurance companies are encouraging people to install in their cars. I wonder how long before new cars are required to have them installed?

• 4 years later...
On 10/6/2013 at 8:45 PM, august948 said:

There are actually toll roads in which if you get between the booths before a certain time, you're immediately issued a traffic ticket.

And IMO that is not a bad idea at all. Much better than police radars set behind a bush.