SoDo

largeTEXAS

SoDo is what the oh-so-creative real estate guys and officials want to call the neighborhood south of downtown and north of Midtown. I agree with many of you that this is a terrible name and indicates more our lack of originality than hipness, edginess, or sophistication.

So, what should we call this neighborhood? Our suggestions could be sent to the powers that be and we could be forever be remembered for our good will to the community.

Some suggestions:

Are there any historic names for the area? Use one of those.

New Town

Gray District

APE - Along the Pierce Elevated

Uhhhh...how about "Midtown"? Ya, know-since Midtown IS south of downtown and the only thing north of Midtown is downtown.

From Midtown's website: http://www.houstonmidtown.com/midtown.cfm?a=cms,c,13,0

The Midtown boundaries can be roughly defined as the properties south of I-45 (Pierce Elevated), west of SH 288, north of US 59 and east of Bagby Street.

Next question...

B)

Yeah seriously I think the goal should be to just develop the areas and enough of the non creative thinking. I don't picture myself saying, hey lets go to SoDo in Midtown. What's the point? Its not like Midtown is currently so large and dense that people need to add more nonsense. Save the street signs funds and use them for something useful, like taking out the trash there every so often.

APE is kind of creative, but currently I would tend to say APE is a DUMP. As in telling someone, you know, the dump along I-45 where people camp out.

• 2 weeks later...
Uhhhh...how about "Midtown"? Ya, know-since Midtown IS south of downtown and the only thing north of Midtown is downtown.

From Midtown's website: http://www.houstonmidtown.com/midtown.cfm?a=cms,c,13,0

The Midtown boundaries can be roughly defined as the properties south of I-45 (Pierce Elevated), west of SH 288, north of US 59 and east of Bagby Street.

Next question...

B)

Just my opinion, but....to me Midtown has two completely different feels. There is the Midtown that people seem to talk about having bars walking distance etc., and the Midtown that was taken over by Perry Homes and Urban Townhome Lofts - yet minimal commerce has come into the area.

If someone were to rename a portion of Midtown, it seems like it would be the area that many people identify as Midtown.

so how about renaming the area of Perry Homes and UTL as SOMI.... :P .

In all seriousness, I would think of the area people are identifying as Midtown as the SODO, and the Perry Homes and UTL as Midtown. Beyond the symantics, I actually like SODO - but maybe that is what some other cities call the same area, and it is pretty clear to me that it is a transitional area.

In my opinion, every second they spend on a rename (which ultimately translates to money) - they sould actually spend on improving the commercial areas in SOMI.

....although, I am sure all of my credibility is shot with the stupid acronym of SOMI.

Just to remind us of what started this nonsense.

"A new program may commence to call our neighborhood "SoDo" (pronounced "SoDoe"), as in South-of-Downtown. This signature name will identify the uniqueness of our neighborhood with its in-town living style, restaurants, shops, etc., similar to SoHo in London and LoDo in Denver, and HoDo in New York City."

Just stick with Midtown. It is a small enough area to not need two names. Also where is this HoDO in NY? I have only heard of SoHo.

Can't wait to see the real estate ads: Located in the trendy APE/SoDoMi area...

I hope the "APE/SoDoMi" ads are discreet...otherwise I'd rather not SEE them!

What fun a marketing company could have with that idea, though!

How would you like to tell the realtor where you're looking for a home: "I'm thinking about Ape Sodomy, can you help me with that?" :mellow:

SoDo is what the oh-so-creative real estate guys and officials want to call the neighborhood south of downtown and north of Midtown. I agree with many of you that this is a terrible name and indicates more our lack of originality than hipness, edginess, or sophistication.

So, what should we call this neighborhood? Our suggestions could be sent to the powers that be and we could be forever be remembered for our good will to the community.

Some suggestions:

Are there any historic names for the area? Use one of those.

New Town

Gray District

APE - Along the Pierce Elevated

You have no idea how it pisses me off that these do-called leaders - the ones who call the shots - are allowed to make the rest of us suffer by being ignoranuses and yet again using minimal brain effort which allows these lame names to be used. Someone please shoot me now.

• 4 weeks later...
Yours was better. :D

Can't wait to see the real estate ads: Located in the trendy APE/SoDoMi area...

...................this has been one of the best threads in awhile.

Another great thing is that the APE/SoDoMi district is so conviently located next to Montrose, there will be shops opening soon just for this type of fetish.

Why does it have to have a name already? Wait for it to get all built up, and then start calling it whatever the people who live there call it.

I agree 100%! Maybe something like...hmmmmmm....Midtown???

[jeez-what a bunch of talk about nothing-it's already got a name]

B)

This thread tickled me.

I Like Midtown but if they were going to change the name I would much prefer SouthTown over SoDo. Calling it SoDo would REALLY be like we are trying to be another city.

So how about SouthTown folks? The inhabitants would be SouthTowners.

Wait, I just realized SouthTown wouldn't make sense. One would leave Downtown, hit SouthTown, and THEN Midtown? Um, nevermind.

Oh, trendy is good for the soul! Who couldn't use a little more Ape Sodomy?!!!

y'all quite monkeying around.

y'all quite monkeying around.

Quit. Would you believe that Bob Hope on a visit to Houston years back called Main Street one of the most beautiful streets he had seen? The "Midtown" was lovely in its early years with large homes and trees. Oh World

Archived