Spam Until Page 7 - Yikes!

Nate99

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had to reload 4 times just to read/open this one topic and that's not counting the 4-5 times it took reloading just to open the General forum page alone! Each time I'm redirected to the same spam site, ingmatic.com and now tiesearch.com. Completely out of control. 

IMG_5868.PNG

• 1 year later...
1 hour ago, CrockpotandGravel said:

When you can delete the spam accounts and block their IP address, also delete this account mods........ they haven't posted anything but I know it's associated with the spammers. They all joined either 3 or 4 hours ago: ydqgiv09386

https://www.houstonarchitecture.com/haif/profile/17605-ydqgiv09386/

Some of the moderator functions haven’t worked for me in months. Before the site problems I was able to keep on top of restricting spammers. Since the site problems, many moderator functions (at least for me) no longer work and always stall out. The Warning/Banning the user function so as to restrict from further posting does not work for me anymore and hasn’t for months. This is not a moderator problem but a problem that needs to be fixed by the site administrator as the site is broken. 

This time it's in Korean.  Partial translation:

// KATOK y268 // [Anywhere in the country - Lady. 24 hours standby. 24 hour business trip, business meeting, business massage, travel massage, business trip service, business trip service, sex partner, lover agency, unusual meeting, unusual meeting, It is a place where you can go to a place where you can find a place to meet for a night out, a night out, a night, a night, a kiss room, a part-time job, a meeting with a conditioner, a solo escape, an impromptu meeting, a lonely woman. Bump.Brank.Excuse shower, naked picture.Lip cafe.Office.

Aaand, we're back to Chinese. Should Homeland Security be contacted? Looks like they're promoting ways to stay in the country illegally. Partial translation:

Handling UMich Diploma of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor | transcripts of the original version of the real micro | Q603012914 US transcripts | academic undergraduate master's degree | fake diplomas to stay in service certification University...

4 hours ago, cspwal said:

I'm sure the mods are doing the best they can, but the admin needs to step up to fix some of the broken site functionality

Editor and HAIF are the admins. Editor hasn't been online since June 18 and HAIF hasn't been online since August 2017.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 5:09 AM, dbigtex56 said:

Aaand, we're back to Chinese. Should Homeland Security be contacted? Looks like they're promoting ways to stay in the country illegally. Partial translation:

Handling UMich Diploma of the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor | transcripts of the original version of the real micro | Q603012914 US transcripts | academic undergraduate master's degree | fake diplomas to stay in service certification University...

Chinese language scammers are stepping up the spam lately.  If you get an automated call on your phone in Chinese, odds are it is the phishing scam that is telling you that there is a problem with your visa and you have to call them to resolve it.  I have received it twice, and had a work colleague translate. 

1 minute ago, Reporter said:

Houston deserves better than to have it’s main architectural forums run by people who don’t give a $#!+

Free internet forums don't pay the bills. For a place with inactive site admins, it's a miracle this place hasn't cratered altogether. 

I don't know who owns it and keeps the domain up, but they clearly have other priorities, and I for one can't blame them. 

20 hours ago, Nate99 said:

Free internet forums don't pay the bills. For a place with inactive site admins, it's a miracle this place hasn't cratered altogether. 

I don't know who owns it and keeps the domain up, but they clearly have other priorities, and I for one can't blame them. 

I do. It is cratering. I say sell it or get off the pot. I'd buy it tomorrow for the right price. I use it, care about it and enjoy the comments and photos from others who are interested in watching Houston grow and get built.  

This site is like one of those empty lots in downtown or midtown that the owners have no intention of selling or developing and are completely o.k. with it looking like a dump forever because they don't give a crap about Houston or the neighborhood or the people who are interested in it.

Kudos to the owners of this site for keeping it going for the last decade, but if they can't or are no long interested in maintaining it,  they should just move on and let the people who do care be able to control it. There are several moderators that seem to do a very good job posting and moderating. Give them control of maintaining the functionality.

3 hours ago, Reporter said:

Kudos to the owners of this site for keeping it going for the last decade, but if they can't or are no long interested in maintaining it,  they should just move on and let the people who do care be able to control it. There are several moderators that seem to do a very good job posting and moderating. Give them control of maintaining the functionality.

As I understand it, the person who owned this site and kept it going for most of the last decade is no longer affiliated with it, and has not been for some time since he sold it to a new owner. The various issues that the site is currently experiencing did not manifest themselves until after the ownership change. Draw your own conclusions. 

There are certainly clues as to the new ownership for those who care to look. I'm not going down that road here as I generally have a strong antipathy for the currently-fashionable trend of social media naming-and-shaming, which IMO too often bears more than a passing resemblance to a toddler who's just discovered he's in possession of the launch keys to an ICBM.

I've been on a couple of forums that were owned and operated by enthusiastic folks that got busy with the rest of their lives and these boards followed the same trajectory.  It's all manageable in some volunteer moderator's spare time until it isn't, then you have to upgrade software, hardware and/or hire a pro and it get expensive, time consuming or both. If they have folks willing to step up to do it, I don't see why they wouldn't pass along the name to give someone else a kick at it. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Spam Until Page 7 - Yikes!

Archived