Stupid Things People Say/ask

nmainguy

OK. I just saw Chris Matthews interviewing Gov. Good Hair Perry on Hardball. They were talking about moving people from the Superdome to the Astrodome. At the end of the interview, Matthews asked Perry how we got the Astros to move out of the Astrodome for the refugees. Now Good Hair is one of our dumber recent govenors [but not the dumbest] but he just looked into the camera like a cow looking at a new barn door. He said something like, "Chris, they play in a stadium called Minute Maid. Welcome to baseball history this year"

Matthews turned so red I thought he was going to pull out his scotch from beneath the table and chug it straight from the bottle. It was priceless. :lol:

The reporter on Channel 13...lady waiting for the bus by the Superdome:

Reporter: How do you feel about this situation?

I'll let ya'll fill in the rest! (How does he think this woman feels? omg!)

That's about the second worst reporter cliche question.

The one that drives me up the wall is, "Do you have any comments?"

It doesn't surprise me, the media capitals are more or less oblivious to what goes on here until a big story pops up. I'm not a big Perry fan, but I say score one for Texas. I only wish he had started his retort with "Son..." or some other condescending form of address.

As horrible as all this is, I'm glad for once that Houston will get portrayed in a deservedly positive light. For the most part, people are immensley caring and friendly here, it's not all about Enron and Andrea Yates. Houston will play a huge role in helping New Orleans residents rebuild their lives. And once NO is rebuilt (and it will be) there will be a very strong bond between the cities. Maybe Emerril will even put a restaurant here. Ok, maybe not.

It doesn't surprise me, the media capitals are more or less oblivious to what goes on here until a big story pops up. I'm not a big Perry fan, but I say score one for Texas. I only wish he had started his retort with "Son..." or some other condescending form of address.

As horrible as all this is, I'm glad for once that Houston will get portrayed in a deservedly positive light. For the most part, people are immensley caring and friendly here, it's not all about Enron and Andrea Yates. Houston will play a huge role in helping New Orleans residents rebuild their lives. And once NO is rebuilt (and it will be) there will be a very strong bond between the cities. Maybe Emerril will even put a restaurant here. Ok, maybe not.

Emeril: several years ago, there were trumors that Emeril was going to build a restaurant over on Richmond. Anyone know what happened?

its not about the resturant building I think its about people restarting their lives all over again and the people who helped them establish this. Also about those who have a negative conotation (spelling?) of the city can see what we're what they think we were. (whoa that was deep!)

My mistake. MSNBC

Now that you're watching MSNBC, you've doubled their ratings.

I don't know if this is common knowledge or not, but on the inside they're known as "Mighty Sorry, No Body Cares."

Of course, ever since they blew the Princess Diana story CBS has been known as "Can't Broadcast Sxxx."

Most networks and local stations have similar nicknames.

I love how the weathermen and people say, "refugees are headed to Houston...(pause) Texas" (like our city doesn't exist)

lol! I think for the most part we are doing very well to help these people and bravo to the small towns, Houston, Dallas and San Antonio!

This is what neighbors should do for one another :)

Yesterday my dad told me that the media will start to turn on Houston. Last night I was watching CNN and the news was breaking about the Astrodome being filled to capacity, and maybe I was reading too much into it, plus it is chaos after all; sometimes you can't blame people, but the CNN reporter was irritating me. I mean, it's a bad situation, but they make it a can't win situation. He was talking about how the people are being packed into the Astrodome like sardines, but then minutes later talks about how they're not stuffing enough people in. With a smug look on his face, he mentioned a refugee getting off the bus and screaming, sarcastically, "welcome to Houston!". The dude back in the studio had a smirk on his face while talking about a woman from N.O. getting to eat some grits and biscuits when she got to the dome. We could have handed over our entire city and we would still be criticized. I understand people aren't thinking clearly right now, but for goodness sake.

I'm very proud of our city for being one of, or the, first to respond in this way. The media can bite Houston.

Note: they just said on the radio that they're thinking of opening the Compaq Center because it isn't being used!?

I saw a piece on one of the national stations last night where people from New Orleans at the Astrodome were so overwhelmed by the support and kindness they've gotten from people in Houston they were crying. In between the sobs they were saying, "Thank you Houston."

If I was in that situation, I might not want to go back.

I see Greta Van Susteren is still outside the Astrodome, so she should be doing her show again live from Houston tonight.

This whole time, Greta has been showing a lot appreciation for Houston; saying nothing but positive things about us. She noted the owner of Papa John's in Houston, saying that he's donated $25,000 of his own money. She's really highlighting our city's generosity which is well deserved and I'm grateful to her for that. For letting it be known.

Here's a good one:

Well, That Was Lucky For Them, Wasn't It?

Barbara Bush says things working out 'very well' for poor evacuees from New Orleans

by Jane Saunders

HOUSTON, TX -- (OfficialWire) -- 09/06/05 -- During a photo-op with her husband, former President George H. W. Bush

Officialwire is a very liberal, left-wing website. Could you have found an article maybe a little less partisan and more towards the middle?

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind if you hate Bush. But touting it by posting obviously slanderous material is simply unecessary:

During a photo-op with her husband, former President George H. W. Bush

Officialwire is a very liberal, left-wing website. Could you have found an article maybe a little less partisan and more towards the middle?

Don't get me wrong - I don't mind if you hate Bush. But touting it by posting obviously slanderous material is simply unecessary:

It wasn't slanderous. It wasn't false. I suggest you invest in a dictionary. It will make you look smarter!

B)

Jeebus, slander would involve publishing a statement, knowing it was false. Unfortunately for Mrs. Bush (Babs, to us liberals), she flat out said it, and it was recorded and played on all the major media.

A most unfortunate choice of words for Babs. Luckily, her husband, ever the diplomat, said all the right things.

...posting obviously slanderous material is simply unecessary:

Just for you, Jeebus,

What BB said was not slander. This could be slanderous:

From Capitol Hill Blue

Bush Leagues

Bush's Obscene Tirades Rattle White House Aides

By DOUG THOMPSON

Aug 25, 2005, 06:19

While President George W. Bush travels around the country in a last-ditch effort to sell his Iraq war, White House aides scramble frantically behind the scenes to hide the dark mood of an increasingly angry leader who unleashes obscenity-filled outbursts at anyone who dares disagree with him.

Actually.. I quoted what I thought was slanderous. You were both too quick to assume that I was talking about Barbara, when I clearly quoted the writer's passage concerning his obvious opinion of George H. Bush.

The writer assuming that George H. Bush is the ultimate person to blame for the United States current state of affairs is both presumptuous and slanderous:

Internet Definition of the word "slander"

Liberals are often too quick to defend what they think is right, before allowing what was said to sink in.*

*Notice I didn't say: Democrats, gays, Catholics, "Redscare" or "NMainguy" - I only said "Liberals". :)

Archived