The Allen: Mixed-Use Development At Allen Parkway & Gillette St.

jmontrose

This is an example of how Houston has invested in its people by re developing it's green spaces to which it gets back it's investment with developments like these popping up. We Houstonians know how great this area is and it's potential. Well outsiders now see what we see.

• Like 8

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 3/20/2017 at 9:00 PM, H-TownChris2 said:

Definitely not, this building sure is one of a kind. There's three tiers to this building and it's more of a rounder type of building. Hard to describe

you may have seen an earlier rendering as there are two floating around... the initial one definitely had more of a wow factor but the current version was scaled back a bit. still a handsome looking building but less zaha hadid-ish if you will.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, swtsig said:

you may have seen an earlier rendering as there are two floating around... the initial one definitely had more of a wow factor but the current version was scaled back a bit. still a handsome looking building but less zaha hadid-ish if you will.

I get you, but Idk, I'm pretty sure I saw the most recent. If I remember clearly, the architect is HOK. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
25 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

%E6%9C%BA%E6%9E%84%E6%8A%95%E8%B5%84%E5%

Wow.  This would dominate my view west from the Lyric Centre.  When I glance up from my computer screen, the federal reserve is directly centered over the top of the monitor. I think this would eclpise the Marathon Oil Building, Post Oak Tower, BHP Billiton, and other structures clustered around San Felipe that are in that line of sight.  I dig the offset segments of the building, and it looks like it could have a crown with (in Lego Movie astronaut voice) a LIGHT UP FEATURE!!!

• Like 7

I'm only surprised that more stuff like this doesn't get built along the beautiful banks of Buffalo Bayou. This development is in the nicest part of Houston and it's right between the 2 coolest parts of the city, downtown and uptown. This area is close to everything with killer views on every side.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Montrose1100 said:

I always thought 3333 Allen Parkway had the best views in town, step aside. Maybe in the future we'll see developments on the north side of the bayou additionally.

Cool project!

What, are you ignoring our own Soviet block, The Memorial by Windsor? Or the old Holiday Inn/Old Folks home?

20 minutes ago, KinkaidAlum said:

What, are you ignoring our own Soviet block, The Memorial by Windsor? Or the old Holiday Inn/Old Folks home?

Oh yes, the beautiful Memorial stucco tower of yellow string lighted beauty. Encore!

I admire the old folks home... although the development from Katyville to the Taylor/Memorial Overpass have a bit of gentrification to go before anything grand happens there.

• Like 1

Forecasting I had seen in 2015 (perhaps early 2016) had said if oil prices rebounded, as they have, we would see an uptick in construction starting late 2017 into 2018. With the amount of collaboration on this project and hoping there's no random downturn in the economy, I have a feeling this one will actually make it through.

• Like 8

These guys are real players. They're also developing a Thompson branded hotel/condo tower in San Antonio.

The ONLY thing that worries me is that they're behind several Randall Davis projects... and those are the king of bait and switch/value engineering.

• Like 5

The renderings are great and this project definitely has legs to move forward. When this project was first announced, the developers said at the time that they want to build a skyline changer and new landmark tower. This is exactly that. 

Although im weary of initial renderings as they are prone to revisions, here's hoping they keep the concept intact and get underway in the near future!

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Sellanious Caesar said:

The renderings are great and this project definitely has legs to move forward. When this project was first announced, the developers said at the time that they want to build a skyline changer and new landmark tower. This is exactly that. 

Although im weary of initial renderings as they are prone to revisions, here's hoping they keep the concept intact and get underway in the near future!

my understanding is that everything besides the initial tower and lifestyle center are all TBD. Uses will include office, apt, retail, perhaps medical but designs and scale are subject to change.

• Like 3